Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-09-2020, 05:14 AM
Banned

The question I have is could an RV be considered a temporary residence? It’s where you eat sleep and sh, use the washroom.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:31 AM

The way that i read it is you cannot have more than your daily possession limit on you while you are fishing for that day for that lake. I would say that if you were to take the single walleye home from the lake on each day and only have 1 in your possession each day that you would be allowed to have 3 at home from the same lake. But i'm no lawyer.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:34 AM

I also believe that your RV does not count as your permanent place of residence as this would eliminate the need to keep the fish intact for length measurement purposes and you could fillet them at the lake and take them home without any ID left on them. Would make a huge grey area for the CO's.

from the regs.

Fish caught in Alberta:
Fish cleaned for storage at other than your permanent residence, or for transport to your permanent residence must not be skinned, cut or packed in a manner that the species cannot be identified, the number of fish cannot be determined, and the total length of every fish subject to a size limit cannot be determined.
Two pieces of fish that are of the same species are considered to be one fish.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
To be honest I think if those who find the regs confusing try to imagine themselves in an officers shoes trying to do checks, it shouldn't be hard to see why the regs are the way they are.

With that said I think possession limits are one of the most either misunderstood or ignored regulations out there and frankly I've seen it enough it's hard to get on anyones case to bad without a heads up first. I also wonder how much of an impact on the resource it would be if somehow the awareness could be heightened.

I know, again because I've seen it enough, there is a pile of people reading this thread who would go on a multi day camping trip to a lake and see the regs as being able to head home with 3 fish when the daily limit is 1. There are lots of folks that completely ignore possession limits entirely and just keep their daily limit every day, stockpile, and head home WAY over their limit.
Yep, agreed.

Possession limits define themselves. People like to point blame at those in charge and then play stupid or like they would do it better. Give me a break!

There are possession limits on salmon in Tidal B.C. I'm going next week and understand what I can take per day and also what I can have "in the freezer" (in possession) as I head home. If I fail to understand that, my problem.

Of course, there is that "other ocean" that I can hit up on the way back and take another daily limit....right???
Old 07-09-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Yep, agreed.

Possession limits define themselves. People like to point blame at those in charge and then play stupid or like they would do it better. Give me a break!

There are possession limits on salmon in Tidal B.C. I'm going next week and understand what I can take per day and also what I can have "in the freezer" (in possession) as I head home. If I fail to understand that, my problem.

Of course, there is that "other ocean" that I can hit up on the way back and take another daily limit....right???
Tidal is a little different with so many different zones and regulations for each, hatchery versus wild, 0, 1, or 2 retention. But they do not enforce other regions limits on you while you are on the water just cause you are fishing in an area with different regulations. You can even have the prior days limit on board and catch your daily limit since guys frequently do several days on the water. In the end of the days just can't go home with more than 8 salmon. Total of 10 chinook and 6 halibut a year, there is a regional ling yearly limit as well. Otherwise there is no maximum possession limit at home in your freezer for tidal caught fish.

I fish with so many family members though usually we never hit our possession limits on the ocean. Not even close. 8 salmon is a lot.

"It is illegal to possess more than your daily limit or possession limit (see glossary) except for what is at or transported from your ordinary residence"

Maybe in Alberta with the openings having to record your catch that you retain on your license and have a total number of walleye to retain per year would potentially help with the freezer stockpiles.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 07-09-2020, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Yep, agreed.

I remember last year talking about walleye catch limits and slot sizes. I remember the hollier than thou types saying our environmentalists have it right at zero retention, that slot sizes don’t work, and low and behold the powers that be open up retention for slot size all across the province.

Maybe there was a few of us out there that did in fact know better. I’m glad there’s guys out there like yourself that can read anything and not have any questions about it, it helps me stay humble enough to know I can still ask questions and find someone who knows it all.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I remember last year talking about walleye catch limits and slot sizes. I remember the hollier than thou types saying our environmentalists have it right at zero retention, that slot sizes don’t work, and low and behold the powers that be open up retention for slot size all across the province.

Maybe there was a few of us out there that did in fact know better. I’m glad there’s guys out there like yourself that can read anything and not have any questions about it, it helps me stay humble enough to know I can still ask questions and find someone who knows it all.
I thought maybe the west coast reference would help. Some on this post seem to think it is an Alberta thing or inconvenience made in Alberta. Not saying you in particular. Possession is there in every province. Certainly not an uncommon idea and something that you would have had to dealt with traveling to other provinces.

And since you felt you needed to go there...Not sure why you have to bring up anything about zero retention and slot sizes. Need a pat on the back?
In this thread, after being "educated" about it, you are still on the topic even thinking an RV might be a residence. Possession limits are there regardless. If you are going to look for loop holes and your own interpretation, good luck with that. Chances are you won't get caught. Unless someone knows you are over and calls it in...
Old 07-09-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Tidal is a little different with so many different zones and regulations for each, hatchery versus wild, 0, 1, or 2 retention. But they do not enforce other regions limits on you while you are on the water just cause you are fishing in an area with different regulations. You can even have the prior days limit on board and catch your daily limit since guys frequently do several days on the water. In the end of the days just can't go home with more than 8 salmon. Total of 10 chinook and 6 halibut a year, there is a regional ling yearly limit as well. Otherwise there is no maximum possession limit at home in your freezer for tidal caught fish.

I fish with so many family members though usually we never hit our possession limits on the ocean. Not even close. 8 salmon is a lot.

"It is illegal to possess more than your daily limit or possession limit (see glossary) except for what is at or transported from your ordinary residence"

Maybe in Alberta with the openings having to record your catch that you retain on your license and have a total number of walleye to retain per year would potentially help with the freezer stockpiles.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Understood. But multiple zones is a lot like multiple lakes. Traveling and keeping fish you really must know what possession is. Either way, a complex set of regulations and complex certainly not limited to Alberta. If anything our regs are way less complex than tidal.

I also seem to recall a max per year for non-residents. Not sure on that though and didn't find anything on a quick search. I typically only go once per year so don't worry about it too much.