Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Phantom

Default Question about towns

hey everyone,
so im in hinton and really do not like it, I have been here for just over 3 years working the oilfield. I currently work at the CCS Plant by edson makeing 26.50 an hour. But to tell you the truth I really do not like hinton. So I was wondering, what other kind of smaller towns like hinton etc are there out there that are nice, hopefully cleaner, but still have good work? I know its alot to ask for but hey I dont know alberta THAT well yet so I thought maybe you guys could help a buddy out. I just thought it wouldnt hurt to go look around.
thanks all,
Old 06-20-2007, 04:38 PM

There is a CCS plant north of me.. (Vermilion) It dont have the scenary that Hinton has, but its a fairly good town to live in
Old 06-20-2007, 07:21 PM

Default small town

New CCS faciltiy to open near Peace River, or there is one near Rainbow Lake / High Level, one @ Valleyview, Grande Cache
Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 PM

Small oilpatch town that is clean?????? Good luck with that. We lived in Hinton for over 7 years, moved to Miller's this spring, and not regretted it. I still work in Hinton, so I get to see the scenery that we loved so much, but the kids and the wife miss it. Good luck with your search though.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:16 AM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady View Post
Small oilpatch town that is clean?????? Good luck with that. We lived in Hinton for over 7 years, moved to Miller's this spring, and not regretted it. I still work in Hinton, so I get to see the scenery that we loved so much, but the kids and the wife miss it. Good luck with your search though.

i was wondering how that was going. must suck going for groceries and not getting a nice view of whats ahead anymore.

lots of work out in fort sask. not much for oilpatch stuff there i dont think.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:28 AM

Go to Rainbow Lake! I heard its beautiful up there all 4 seasons of the yr...lol
Old 06-21-2007, 10:49 AM

I am a Battery Operator in Slave Lake and all are oil goes to CCS.

We ship to Valley View,Big Valley,Slave Lake,High Praire,Judy Creek,Fox Creek..

Peace River CCS is supposed to be starting up by August so maybe you should start there.High Praire is also expanding soon from what i here.

Lots of oilfield work in Slave on the rig's or operating if you have experience and it is a great place to live.

Good Luck.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Winchester70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
hey everyone,
so im in hinton and really do not like it, I have been here for just over 3 years working the oilfield. I currently work at the CCS Plant by edson makeing 26.50 an hour. But to tell you the truth I really do not like hinton. So I was wondering, what other kind of smaller towns like hinton etc are there out there that are nice, hopefully cleaner, but still have good work? I know its alot to ask for but hey I dont know alberta THAT well yet so I thought maybe you guys could help a buddy out. I just thought it wouldnt hurt to go look around.
thanks all,
I lived in Hinton for 20 years and loved it..plan to move back when I retire..

What don't you like about Hinton??
Old 06-21-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester70 View Post
I lived in Hinton for 20 years and loved it..plan to move back when I retire..

What don't you like about Hinton??
UH... smelling like it????

LOL seriously, my wife's parents moved to Hinton from Edmonton some years ago. He was a trucker, semi-retired who liked fishing. They LOVED it there. Made lots of friends, etc. He died and she moved to Kelowna when she remarried. But I think she still misses Hinton. Way too small for me, being a city boy, but perhaps before you throw in the towel you should try getting involved in some community activities, sports, church groups, whatever, and see if that changes your perception.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:29 PM
smokinjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
UH... smelling like it????
Try living in Brooks for a day. There are far worse places than Hinton.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:40 PM

Brooks is gross. I would work by Brooks for about a month every yr. When the wind would blow the smell into town, you couldn't walk around outside, have you a/c on in your vehicle. Also when you 1st got into your vehicle it would reek bad, but you KINDA got use 2 it. Its just like how Ft.MAC a couple of weeks ago with the forest fires burning north of there, except 2x worst
Old 06-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Phantom

Oh I know theres alot worse out there but im 20 and wouldnt mind a change. Im super young so it couldnt hurt to try something new lol......
Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 PM

Hinton is one of the best towns in Alberta. If your not happy there you wont be happy anywhere. Unless your a city boy, then you need to be in a the city.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Doc Holiday

Phantom, just what type of worky ya lookin for? CCS? Stay North. Mention some credentials, goals etc.. etc.. and some might be able to help. Wanting to move.... spin in front of a map and pin it. Look for specific type of work... it'll help.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:44 PM

PM sent

There are no absolutes
Old 06-21-2007, 09:44 PM

NDN, you know, it sucked at first, but once the 3 feet of snow melted away, and the kids started to get their taste of acreage living....... baaaaa-bye town life. Don't get me wrong, if I could have afforded an acreage around Hinton, we would have been ALL OVER that, but between 1/2 a mill +, or a 30 minute drive to work, I think we made a good choice.

Win 70, have you been back in the last while??? she's changed quite a bit, but it is nice to see them open up some more residential areas.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:20 PM

I was born and raised in Hinton and would love to move back. I miss so much about it, However all my old hunting and fishing spots are probably oil leases now! I live in Red Deer now, too busy, too many stupid people... oh well. That's life eh!
Old 06-22-2007, 06:06 AM
-NDN-

i was born in Calgary, (((Shut it))), and lived in Hinton for a whole 1/2 year. the wife would without a doubt love to move there. whats there to do on the acreage Brady?? gone fishing for those nice trout on Millers Lake yet??
Old 06-22-2007, 07:22 AM

There is a real nice acreage about 10-15 minute drive N.W. of Westlock for sale. (don't know what the asking is)
Also don't know if the work you want is in the area.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Phantom

well Im not picky with work just as long as I make decent money like I am now, Iv been everywhere, pipeline, swamping on vac, picker and bed trucks.
wirelineing(hated it) tire shops, apprenticed welding for a year and a half, gas plant maintinance...and a few more....I have all safety tickets etc....just thought it would be nice to have a little change. yes hinton is nice and if I could find the right work id probably move back to b.c. but alberta is suiting me fine. I would like to find something I could make a career out of, ccs is good to me and all but playing with fluids 12 hours a day is not my thing lol. But its work and I do enjoy the people etc. theres alot quitting at the moment at the edson plant.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NDN- View Post
i was born in Calgary, (((Shut it)))

I knew it !!!!!

Jamie
Old 06-22-2007, 11:55 AM

Forget about that Westlock property. Looked it up, a bit over 12 acres & they want 550 !

(That makes my place worth about 300+)
Old 06-22-2007, 12:26 PM

i was born in Calgary, (((Shut it))),

It is all clear now.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:43 PM

What don't you like about Hinton Phantom? I can see how someone may not like it if they are use to a few things that larger cities offer. If you have been in Hinton for 3 years and really don't like it, then you likely won't warm up to it. However I agree with Okotokian about getting involved with something community oriented. I personally have a really hard time with club and group activities, but you might find something - there's a wack of things to get into if you can hook up with the right crowd. I found a church that suits my family really well. Ofcourse being 20 you will be into something different than me. What are your interests? You can't beat Hinton for outdoor stuff! Good luck. Atleast go to Jasper for a good time before you decide to leave, once your gone you'll probably realize what you had!!
Oh, I just thought I'd add also that this isn't BC, so you won't find those nice clean little towns that BC has scattered all over the mountains. I think I know what you might be looking for, and Hinton is about the closest Alberta has to offer, if you need to work for a living (that's why I'm here).

Last edited by gunned; 06-23-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Phantom

thanks for the help guys, well I did look around and you guys are right, there is no other place like hinton, my interests you ask, flyfishing, flytying, hunting, sports, trap shooting. those are the main ones, if im not hunting or fishing im normally at work lol.....I like hinton but was just thinking of needing a change, had some personal problems with my ex in this town and she has alot of family here and lets just say once we broke up they liked to talk alot. Im a real nice guy and theres pretty much no one who doesnt like me. but since that happend I kinda had a bitter taste in my mouth about staying here.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:11 PM

Default small towns

hey buddy, if i were you i would stay at hinton for the scenery and the out doors, as i looked for a operating job with 14 years exp. but cant seem to find one there or RMH. miss the bush and mountains as we live in the hat with the heat and wind, good luk
Old 06-25-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
thanks for the help guys, well I did look around and you guys are right, there is no other place like hinton, my interests you ask, flyfishing, flytying, hunting, sports, trap shooting. those are the main ones, if im not hunting or fishing im normally at work lol.....I like hinton but was just thinking of needing a change, had some personal problems with my ex in this town and she has alot of family here and lets just say once we broke up they liked to talk alot. Im a real nice guy and theres pretty much no one who doesnt like me. but since that happend I kinda had a bitter taste in my mouth about staying here.
Hinton is bad for that my friend. But the nice thing about it is you can escape it real easy, and it doesn't take to long to get there.