Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2018, 08:09 AM

Christmas is coming so this weekend is for making a couple of roasters of Holopchi (cabbage rolls) we make ours with rice and hamburger, covered with homemade tomato sauce (from the garden). Next weekend its Perogies the wife makes the dough and I stuff. ours are filled with potatoes and cheese with fried onions and a bit of salt port on the side. Always do 3 or so roasters, its a bit of a job so we make a bunch and freeze whole roasters. We both miss my mum's cooking but keep the tradition with my twin boys jumping in to help.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 12-08-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Christmas is coming so this weekend is for making a couple of roasters of Holopchi (cabbage rolls) we make ours with rice and hamburger, covered with homemade tomato sauce (from the garden). Next weekend its Perogies the wife makes the dough and I stuff. ours are filled with potatoes and cheese with fried onions and a bit of salt port on the side. Always do 3 or so roasters, its a bit of a job so we make a bunch and freeze whole roasters. We both miss my mum's cooking but keep the tradition with my twin boys jumping in to help.
You forgot to post your address?

Dodger.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:07 PM

This thread got me in gear today and getting ready for tomorrow!

The potato, cheddar, garlic, onion filling is in the fridge and I'm just getting ready to get a few batches of dough (sour cream style) ready as well. Looking forward to pumping out as many perogies as possible tomorrow!
Old 12-08-2018, 04:35 PM

Filling is Mashed potatoes, salt and pepper to taste and Saurkraut. Smother the cooked Pyrohy in fried onions,bacon bits and butter. To die for.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:36 PM

Almost sounds like there should be a once a month AO perogy making club. Think of the variety of wild game meat and wild berry perogies we could make. *drool* We could even get dough stamps that stamp "AO" on the perogies.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-08-2018, 04:38 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil1010 View Post
Suggestions? Ya, send me about 4 bags.

Man do I miss homemade perogies.
Boiled until they float and then fried real hot like each side......potatoes and cheese and bacon chunks all served up with sour cream topping , salt and pepper......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-08-2018, 04:49 PM

Default Great food

Lazy holopche and lazy pedohea Same materials, same taste just presented in a different way. Way less work even I can make in a one dish casserole style.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:24 PM

Keep it going folks... Baba did things with dough and fillings that can’t be repeated. Tried but can’t repeat... Not sure if it was her sense of perfection, her wild side or simply get it done cause we want.

Either way let your imagination run wild, fill it up with whatever you think of and enjoy.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Sounds like you shoulda kept her around
I wish I could have but cancer is a heartless b****

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-08-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I would be okay if you just Deleted that comment.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I am so very sorry for your loss.

It took my Mom and then only sister 2 months later. Mil got it after they died, but pulled through, at 80 years old.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-08-2018, 08:18 PM

I am sorry to hear that.
Quote:
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2018, 08:28 PM
Banned

If you like them crispy after you boil them, let them dry off before putting them in the butter.

Worchester and hot sauce and bacon and onions... MMMMMMMMMMMMM
Old 12-08-2018, 11:03 PM

Poppy seed peroges, boiled, fried in butter and drizzled with honey.

That’s heaven
Old 12-09-2018, 09:16 AM

Others we do but not a much are Sauerkraut Perogies & Dessert Perogies filled with Plums. Love golden brown fried ones the next day. And don't forget a big scoop of ice cold Sour Cream.

Fishing Regulations
Old 12-09-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloughsharkjigger View Post
Keep it going folks... Baba did things with dough and fillings that can’t be repeated. Tried but can’t repeat... Not sure if it was her sense of perfection, her wild side or simply get it done cause we want.

Either way let your imagination run wild, fill it up with whatever you think of and enjoy.
You are missing the 4 to 6 drops of 'Baba sweat' mixed into the dough.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-09-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
Lazy holopche and lazy pedohea Same materials, same taste just presented in a different way. Way less work even I can make in a one dish casserole style.

That might work in regular season, but this is the @!#**# playoffs!
Old 12-09-2018, 04:11 PM

Everything turned out great.

11 Dzn Potato Cheddar
5 Dzn Mushroom
2 Dzn Saukraut

7 of us.
2 on the dough, 3 on filling and pinching, 2 rovers. Good crew!

We did use a dough recipe with sour cream.
The fillings were all chilled from doing them the day before.

The temperature outside was perfect for freezing them on trays. We rotated on magpie watch.

A couple dozen never made it to the freezer, as the crew had to run a quality control batch and it passed with flying colors!

We just boiled those quickly and sauteed in butter real briefly.
The ones at Christmas will get butter, onion, bacon, and mom's chive cream sauce for the table.

End of the day, Perogies mom and baba would be proud of, and it was great to get together in an old family tradition!

Now if I could only get that much help next time we do a moose!
Old 12-09-2018, 08:52 PM

cherry filling, raspberry filling, cottage cheese filling, boiled, served with lots of sour cream and sugar. If there are any left over, served up fried, again lots of sour cream and sugar.
Never heard of anything else in a perogie, it's the only way we eat them.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:58 PM
Banned

Need to make beet leaf buns with a cream and dill sauce.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
Need to make beet leaf buns with a cream and dill sauce.
We had this last week as we ran into some nice beet leaves at Superstore.

Fishing Regulations
Old 12-10-2018, 02:06 PM

Finished up yesterday after 5ish hours with 285 potato/cheddar/onion/garlic and 45 blueberry perogies! Looking forward to Christmas eve!
Old 12-10-2018, 04:47 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
Finished up yesterday after 5ish hours with 285 potato/cheddar/onion/garlic and 45 blueberry perogies! Looking forward to Christmas eve!
Dam that's a haul eh! Don't drink too much....would be such a waste of good perogies.......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-10-2018, 05:18 PM

Untested until this weekend coming up.
PIEROGI (appetizer, main course)

For the Dough - makes 100 Pierogi:
7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling and dusting
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 whole eggs
1/3 cup sour cream
2 1/2 - 3 cups room temperature water

Potato Filling - makes 22:
1 lb russet potatoes, peeled and diced into 2" pieces
2 Tbs unsalted butter
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/2 tsp kosher salt
Few grinds black pepper
1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup sharp Cheddar cheese

Sauerkraut Filling - Makes 26:
2 Tbs unsalted butter
1 cup button mushrooms, diced fine
1/2 cup onion, diced fine
1 (14.5 0z) can sauerkraut, well drained and squeezed of liquid
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Cheese Filling - makes 40:
2 Tbs unsalted butter
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 lb Farmer's cheese, crumbled (this is a cheese similar in texture to feta but without the briny taste)
1 whole egg, beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped

Prune Filling - Makes 16:
1 cup dry, pitted prunes
1 Tbs granulated sugar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs plain breadcrumbs
1 Tbs unsalted butter

Additional Ingredients:
2 Tbs of melted butter for every 25 pierogi (to coat them so they don't stick)
Onions - approximately 1/2 lb thinly sliced onions for each 25 pierogi
2 Tbs butter for every 1/2 lb of onions
Sour cream, as needed to serve with the savory pierogi

To Make the Dough:
1. On a clean work surface, place all of the 7½ cups of flour into a pile. Stir in salt then make a valley in the center of the flour. Crack both eggs into center along with sour cream. With a fork, start stirring the eggs and sour cream into the flour pulling the edges toward the center. Then gradually add the water a little at a time as you continue to stir with a fork. You may not use all of the water so after 2 cups check texture and slowly incorporate another half cup of water. (Our dough was a perfect consistency at 2½ cups and we did not use the remaining ½ cup.) The texture should be soft and sticky to the touch.

2. (A scraper like this is helpful for this next step so you can scrape and mold the dough as it is floured and rolled.) Sprinkle flour over the top of the dough ball and surrounding counter and with the scraper (or a flat spatula if you don’t have one), scrape dough from counter over onto floured surface and continue this process adding flour as needed until you have a soft, pliable easy-to-handle dough that does not stick to the rolling pin.

3. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough mass out to 1/16th inch thin. If you roll it out any thicker, your yield will be less than 100.

4. As you roll, keep flouring the counter under the dough so when it is completely rolled out, none of the dough mass sticks to your counter.

5. Using a 3 inch round cookie or biscuit cutter, dip the cutter in flour if needed then cut out the circles as close to each other as possible. After filling this batch, gather up the scraps and roll back out and cut more circles. Finally roll up the last of the scraps and cut one last time. The dough is soft enough to get rolled out three times but no more. Also try to keep the dough covered with a slightly damp cloth to keep the dough from drying out.

6. The final count should be approximately 100 circles. See last step for filling, boiling and frying.

To Make the Potato Filling:
1. Boil potatoes in salted water for 5-10 minutes until tender, then drain and place back into the pan. Heat over medium just long enough to evaporate any liquid left in the pan and to dry out the potatoes. Remove to a bowl and set aside.

2. In the same pan, melt butter over medium heat and add onion, salt and pepper and cook 3-5 minutes until tender. Remove from heat and add parsley and potatoes and using a potato masher, mash mixture to somewhat fine. Stir in cheddar cheese and set mixture aside. If not filling right away, refrigerate until needed.

To Make Sauerkraut Filling:
1. In a medium sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat and add mushroom and onion and cook for 3-5 minutes until tender. Add drained sauerkraut, salt and pepper. Stir and remove from heat. If not filling right away, refrigerate until needed.

To Make the Cheese Filling:
1. In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, melt butter and add onions. Cook 3-5 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in Farmer’s cheese and mix to combine. Stir in egg, parsley, salt and pepper and stir again. If not filling right away, refrigerate until needed.

To Make the Prune filling:
1. Note: This is more of a dessert filling and can be served a few different ways. But the traditional way is, once cooked, serve with buttered, toasted plain bread crumbs.

2. In a small sauce pan place dried prunes and water just to cover tops. Add sugar and lemon and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook two minutes. Remove from heat and let the prunes sit in the hot water for ten minutes. Drain liquid and discard. Place cooked prunes in a small food processor (like this one) and puree until smooth. If not filling right away, refrigerate until needed. Brown the ¼ cup of bread crumbs in the one tablespoon of butter over medium heat until slightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Set aside for serving.

To Fill, Prepare and Cook the Pierogi:
1. Each pierogi gets filled and cooked the same. As noted above, the prune pierogi are served with toasted bread crumbs as a dessert and the other three fillings served with grilled onions and sour cream as an entrée or side dish.

2. To fill each pierogi, follow the recipe for the filling and divide the filling between that number of circles.

3. Place the filling (between ¾ and 1 ounce depending on the filling type) in the center spreading it out into the shape of an oval. Have a small cup of water close by and with a pastry brush, lightly wet the outside of the circle half way around. Then lift the dough circle in your hand and pull the edge of the dry side to the edge of the wet side together in the center and pinch tight. Then work from the center out and pinch the rest closed, poking any filling back in as you go. Set the finished pierogi on a parchment-lined sheet pan.

4. Place a medium to large pot of water on to boil as you finish the remaining pierogi. Have a large sauté pan on a burner with the melted butter on medium low.

5. Once you have made as many as you plan on making, place about ten at a time into the boiling water (checking to make sure that they haven’t stuck to the bottom of the pot) and boil until they float (about 2-3 minutes). Then cook for an additional minute and remove with a strainer.
Immediately add to pan with melted butter. All you are doing with this step is coating them in butter so they don’t stick to each other. Toss in the pan of butter for about 30 seconds and remove to a platter. Repeat for all of the pierogi you intend to cook.

6. In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt butter and add onions and cook for about 4-5 minutes until slightly browned. Remove to a bowl and set aside.

7. Using the same pan over medium heat, melt butter and add cooked pierogi. Cook flipping occasionally until browned on both sides, about 5-8 minutes.

8. Serve savory pierogi with sour cream and sautéed onions. Serve prune pierogi with buttered, toasted bread crumbs.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:21 PM

I drive by the Ukrainian church on 75 st as it's in my hood. They always have a perogie supper. Got to swing in there one of these times.

You guys are making my mouth drool with all the food talk.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:54 PM

My mother made awesome pedaheh. Wish she was still around and that I paid more attention when she made them. I usually ate all the filling and didn't pay much attention to the actual making of them, hah. I get my kids together and we make pedaheh every Christmas...for old times sake....not quite like moms but sure takes me back to the good ol days. Still nice to had the family reunions in Sask, always get my fill of excellent Ukrainian food
Old 12-10-2018, 09:55 PM

wild mushroom in a thinner rye dough. boiled, then brazed in unsalted butter or a light oil and served in a light, not to sharp borscht. dry plum is another fave, but can cause 3rd degree, roof of the mouth burns if too gluttonous.

nobody paid any attention in to how mom prepared the wild mushrooms, what spices and such and how to make a thin, coarse, rye-dough. so, just memories now.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Poppy seed peroges, boiled, fried in butter and drizzled with honey.

That’s heaven
we do an open pasta type, and poppy seed desert at Christmas eve with linden honey stirred in. crrrrrrazy good but not overwhelming
Old 12-11-2018, 12:24 AM

One thing to watch out for is the dessert type of perogies with juicy fillings is they tend to squirt hot juices when cutting. Nothing like having a hot blueberry perogy blow juice onto your clothes. On the plate poke a few holes with your fork into the perogy to keep the juice pressure down.

Omega 50... Your recipes are interesting. I noticed your prune filling. Never heard of a prune filled perogy. My dear 86 year old ukrainian mother made a dessert "bun" called a piroshki. It was a sweet pastry type dough with a prune filling and then deep fried like a donut. Eaten warm or cold.

I think I am going to borrow Mom's hand written recipes and learn more.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
You are missing the 4 to 6 drops of 'Baba sweat' mixed into the dough.
My dad always said that was why my great grandma's noodles tasted so good.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.