Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-11-2015, 06:18 PM

Default Range finder??

The last little while I have been hearing something about rangefinders not being useful or necessary(kinda cheap like)!! Is this true?? is it better to go bow hunt deer with out a range finder??

This is mostly for discussion but partly because I don't want to buy a range finder if I don't need one!!

Anthony
Old 11-11-2015, 09:10 PM

I always carry one with me for Bowhunters as there is more than enough time once I'm set up in my spot to range trees, rocks and other stuff to memorize distances all around me.

Sometimes there's even enough time to range animals if you are sneaky enough.

J.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:01 PM

wouldn't go out without one
Old 11-11-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
i always carry one with me for bowhunters as there is more than enough time once i'm set up in my spot to range trees, rocks and other stuff to memorize distances all around me.

Sometimes there's even enough time to range animals if you are sneaky enough.

J.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:25 PM
Banned

Most bows these days shoot fast and flat.
1-2" difference POI between 20-30 yards if you use a single pin?
2-3" diff between 30-40 yards,agreed?
Most bowhunters have no bizness shooting at game past 40 yards.If you've done your due diligence and practiced,you know what 40 yards looks like,and you know what 20 yards looks like,and you "should know" that 2" diff on a double lunger shot don't mean chit.27 yards or 37 yards,who cares,you have a shot or you don't.
If you need a range finder to tell you how far away a target is,then you got no bizness attempting to kill that target,it's out of your comfort zone IMHO.

Last edited by grinr; 11-11-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post

If you need a range finder to tell you how far away a target is,then you got no bizness attempting to kill that target,it's out of your comfort zone IMHO.
What about the people without a new bow ?? so you say if an animal is past 40 yards and you cant guess the exact distance without a range finder you shouldn't shoot . I can hit an apple every time at 55 , in ground blind hunting in a field that is lacking reference points IE rocks trees ect, a range finder in invaluable.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiknfish View Post
What about the people without a new bow ?? so you say if an animal is past 40 yards and you cant guess the exact distance without a range finder you shouldn't shoot . I can hit an apple every time at 55 , in ground blind hunting in a field that is lacking reference points IE rocks trees ect, a range finder in invaluable.
Well like I said,"most people"(self included) have no bizness shooting beyond 40.Im confident enough in my range guesstimating to range a deer within a yard or two +/- out to 40 yards,so I've never felt the need for a rangefinder.Just sayn.....I really don't care if a deer is 34 or 37 yards.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
1-2" difference POI between 20-30 yards if you use a single pin?
2-3" diff between 30-40 yards,agreed?
Most bowhunters have no bizness shooting at game past 40 yards.If you've done your due diligence and practiced,you know what 40 yards looks like,and you know what 20 yards looks like,and you "should know" that 2" diff on a double lunger shot don't mean chit.27 yards or 37 yards,who cares,you have a shot or you don't.
While I agree with the above statement, I've got a fairly recent bow that IS capable of producing speeds like this whilst shooting straws, but I've got it set up a different way which throws out heavy lumber that will give me a little more Ooomph for putting an arrow through an animal when Murphy's law strikes.....

So while my bow COULD produce a pin gap like stated above Grinr, I still need a rangefinder as my current pin gap between 30 and 40 yards is significantly more than you suggest.... I'd like to leave as little to chance as possible.

J.