Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 10:08 PM

Default First time hunting rifle buy

Just curious on rifles to buy don’t wanna spend a ton of money on my first hunting rifle, just want some input an help to push me in the right direction, and possibly some options !

Last edited by Theohemmaway; 02-17-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:11 PM
Banned

Weatherby Vanguard.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:13 PM

Savage model 10 (or 16) has the good steel latch magazine. Reasonably priced and will shoot right up there with the $2000 pieces.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:19 PM

This is all fairly new to me learning, as to deer an elk hunting what size of round would you consider? .30-06 .308?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:24 PM

If you’re only shooting a box a year, 30-06 does it all. I started to hate getting a sore shoulder shooting targets, so I went away from 30-06 and am now having a wonderful time with a 6.5x55, which is pretty much equal to a popular 7mm08. If I wasn’t hand loading I’d be running a 7mm08 (308 necked down to 7mm).
BTW Tradexcanada usually has smoking deals on European rifles in 30-06 etc etc.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohemmaway View Post
This is all fairly new to me learning, as to deer an elk hunting what size of round would you consider? .30-06 .308?
Both will take anything you will hunt in Alberta. If you want something relatively cheap to shoot that has plenty of surplus ammo for practice then he ttge .308. If you want something with a track record of 100+ years get the 30.06. I wouldn’t suggest getting anything much larger if you haven’t done a lot of shooting just to avoid developing any bad habits you may develop from the 30 cal magnums recoil. I would say find a rifle that fits you well in your price range and then see what calibers it comes in and go from there. Proper fit is way more important in my mind than caliber choice provided you stay within the limits of whatever cartridge you decide on. (don’t use a .243 to hunt elk at 700 yards etc...) if the rifle doesn’t fit you won’t want to shoot it and shot placement is everything!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Nice fitting 7-08, bolt action, 3-9-40 scope....rifle that will last a lifetime.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-18-2019, 07:14 AM

Everyone starts somewhere, but if at all possible I recommend spending a bit more up front for three reasons. First if you enjoy hunting and buy something really cheap you will inevitably want to upgrade. Second, cheaper rifles tend to have poor stock designs and make shooting far less pleasurable. Finally, if you decide hunting is not for you and want to sell your rifle you will have something with resale and someone will actually want to buy it.

I would avoid any magnum caliber. Try buying used if it helps fit within your budget.

Economy recommendation if buying new - ruger American/predator
Better options- tikka t3, browning xbolt
Old 02-18-2019, 07:19 AM

Was in your position last summer and glad I went with a lower recoil cartridge. For me, learning not to flinch has been the biggest challenge to shooting.

If you are new to shooting in general, do some reading about capable lower recoil cartridges like 7mm-08, 6.5 CM, 6.5x55, etc...

As for models, recommended to me were guns in the 700-900 price range which is generally where you start getting an action that is pretty high quality, though your stock is kinda cheap. Couple examples of this are the Weatherby Vangaurds, Howas, and Tikkas. Best thing to do is to go shoulder them all in the store and cycle the actions. It becomes more or less clear what you are paying for and which feels best for you.

I went with a Weatherby Vangaurd S2 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Will be upgrading the stock eventually.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:22 AM

Weatherby Vanguard 2 in .270 or 30-06. The stainless barrel is only a couple bucks more
Old 02-18-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
Was in your position last summer and glad I went with a lower recoil cartridge. For me, learning not to flinch has been the biggest challenge to shooting.

If you are new to shooting in general, do some reading about capable lower recoil cartridges like 7mm-08, 6.5 CM, 6.5x55, etc...

As for models, recommended to me were guns in the 700-900 price range which is generally where you start getting an action that is pretty high quality, though your stock is kinda cheap. Couple examples of this are the Weatherby Vangaurds, Howas, and Tikkas. Best thing to do is to go shoulder them all in the store and cycle the actions. It becomes more or less clear what you are paying for and which feels best for you.

I went with a Weatherby Vangaurd S2 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Will be upgrading the stock eventually.
I have heard a lot of good things about the Tikkas quite a few of my buddy’s shoot them. There is just so many options when your looking, everyone just tells me whatever I’m comfortable with.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 AM

A Vanguard or a T-3 would be a great choice, good quality, at a reasonable price. Bashaw Sports has T-3s on at great sale prices.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A Vanguard or a T-3 would be a great choice, good quality, at a reasonable price. Bashaw Sports has T-3s on at great sale prices.
Bashaw still has the T3 Camo\Stainless in 270 for $819. Killer deal. That is cheaper than buying used.

http://www.bashawsports.com/specials.html
Old 02-18-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I have heard a lot of good things about the Tikkas quite a few of my buddy’s shoot them. There is just so many options when your looking, everyone just tells me whatever I’m comfortable with.
I really do not have the experience to judge as I am so new to hunting, but I think once you decide on a basic price range it is splitting hairs and aesthetics of what you think is cool comes into it - so ya, whatever is comfortable.

Things I considered when splitting hairs included: hinged plate or mag, availability in desired cartridge, local dealer, fit of stock, feel of action, reputation online, weight, and if the action was a true short action. In all truth, I bet I would have been happy with a ton of different ones. My only regret is that I wish I had bought a cz in 6.5x55. It would have meant that I had to wait on a scope and shoot irons my first season, but it is a beautiful rifle.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Absolutely there is a lot of options out there and it is overwhelming I'm sure. If you're a one gun only guy I'd really look at a 30-06 in platform you like and can afford. To me the chambering is the most important and the rifle second. I would recommend the 30-06 because there is a wide variety of bullets you can shoot out of it. I would think a factory offering of a 150 gr Barnes or something in a 165 gr would fit the bill on anything and everything you'd want to shoot. One thing I'd add is shoot it lots. Get good with it near and far and have fun with it.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:18 AM
Banned

For the price you just can’t beat the Tikka T3, then in the future if you want to upgrade with a Wildcat stock.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:19 AM

Same for me last fall as I needed a back-up unit for our northern hunting trip Alberta and Ontario.

I bought a frugal budget Remmy SPS 308,,, dang thing shot good out of the box some it became the main hunting unit.

My Nephew and long time friend couldn't believe how affordable it was,,, so I contacted my seller and bought Two more of them in 25/06 as hunting gifts. Ha.

The stocks and triggers are crappy on them,,, but the actions and barrels seem to stay on track.

We call them the future project rifles.

👍
Old 02-18-2019, 11:37 AM

Answering a couple of questions might lead you in the right direction.
What kind of game you are going to hunt?
At what distances? Is it forested area or prairies?
What is you budget including scope?

good luck
Old 02-18-2019, 01:30 PM

These threads often end up confusing the guy more.

Just getting into shooting/hunting and doesn't want to spend much. So go from there.

My suggestion would be....
Savage Axis, Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot, or for a bit more, Savage 16, Remington 700 SPS, Weatherby Vanguard. All of these are inexpensive, shoot well, and can later be upgraded with a stock and a trigger.

A scope like a Nikon Prostaff or Vortex Diamondback to start with. Upgrade later.

A 7mm-08, .308 for a short action or a .270 for a long action.

New, the Axis, etc. with scope mounted will be well under $1000.00.
The higher end Savage, the SPS or Weatherby ready to go will be $1000.00 or a little more.
There are lots of options but a Tikka with scope and mounts will be well over a grand.

Should be able to find these used so depreciation would be factored in.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:14 PM

Default Opcssw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariu View Post
Answering a couple of questions might lead you in the right direction.
What kind of game you are going to hunt?
At what distances? Is it forested area or prairies?
What is you budget including scope?

good luck
Mostly deer and elk! As I live in Medicine Hat it will all be prairies, including a scope I’d like to keep it around that $1000 mark which I see is pretty do able
Old 02-18-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post

Just getting into shooting/hunting and doesn't want to spend much. So go from there.

Savage Axis, Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot, or for a bit more, Savage 16, Remington 700 SPS, Weatherby Vanguard. All of these are inexpensive, shoot well, and can later be upgraded with a stock and a trigger.

A scope like a Nikon Prostaff or Vortex Diamondback to start with. Upgrade later.

The higher end Savage, the SPS or Weatherby ready to go will be $1000.00 or a little more.
There are lots of options but a Tikka with scope and mounts will be well over a

What’s your thought on the Ruger American and savage axis I have seen them around for sure an read decent things on them, they seem like a decent gun
Old 02-18-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
For the price you just can’t beat the Tikka T3, then in the future if you want to upgrade with a Wildcat stock.
What’s the tikkas go for my buddy swears by his all he owns!
Old 02-18-2019, 03:53 PM
Banned

Check out websites like prophet river,pd enterises and corlanes. Many list good used guns at a reasonable price.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:18 PM

Default Check out this sale

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/36773...riantId=125266
Old 02-18-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Mostly deer and elk! As I live in Medicine Hat it will all be prairies, including a scope I’d like to keep it around that $1000 mark which I see is pretty do able
Anything in 6.5 is more then enough, 7mm good second choice, 30 cal and 6mm are both more and less then you need the .270 is also a good choice. If your not a reloader yet, then you have a fewer options but only by a smidge.
Buying a cheaper rifle will work but not my first choice...BUT we all have to start somewhere Do some researcher try on every rifle you can, look through every scope you can, ignore the price on the sticker if you can't afford it just yet, it gives you something to look forward too down the road.. I can tell you what works for me but only YOU can tell you what you want.

PS don't let the salesman sell you something you don't want...remember their job is sales.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Check out websites like prophet river,pd enterises and corlanes. Many list good used guns at a reasonable price.
Bashaw Sports, Prairie Gun Traders too.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badflies View Post
The stainless Savage 16 "Lightweight Hunter" in 6.5 CM is on sale too. My son has one of these with the wood stock in .260 rem and it's a great little rifle.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
What’s your thought on the Ruger American and savage axis I have seen them around for sure an read decent things on them, they seem like a decent gun

I haven't used the Ruger but I'm sure it's a fine rifle. I know they're popular and there are aftermarket stocks and triggers for them to upgrade later.

I bought an Axis several years ago with a plastic stock and heavy trigger in 22-250. It was about $200.00 on sale so I walked out with it. I managed to work the trigger to 4 lbs. Today some have an accu-trigger.
Since then, I fitted it with a Boyds stock and a Rifle Basix trigger and topped it with a good scope. It now shoots like a laser beam through coyotes.
They're a great starter gun that you can upgrade if you want.

Don't let people tell you these rifles are crap. If you're just starting, they would be just fine. Any of these modern rifles today shoot good.
Unless you can afford more, don't feel bad going with one of these.

Buying used would be good if you have someone to help you.
If you continue shooting and hunting you'll figure it out.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:30 PM

^^^ X's 2

I seen some budget rifles show up at our RMH Range.

They shoot pretty good.

There seems to be alot of after market stuff for them now days.

Barrels, stocks and triggers.

A fellow in BC turned one into a heavy barrel as a fun build,,, Remmy 783 if I recall. He changed the barrel him self with the wrenches,,, added a after market stock and trigger. Dang that rifle shoots good.

👍

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...esting-post-18

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 02-18-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post

There are lots of options but a Tikka with scope and mounts will be well over a grand.

A couple others in the budget category are the Browning AB3 and Remington 783. I've personally watched guys get fantastic groups from these. Then you can spend more on optics.

Seeing as you have elk in the mix, I'd suggest 7mm-08, 308 for short actions and 270, 280 or preferably 30-06 in long actions.