Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-09-2019, 02:12 PM

Default Putting up beavers

Hi got about a dozen beaver pelts to put up never done them before so do a lot you guys have any tips or tricks boarding washing etc thanks for any info
Old 02-09-2019, 03:23 PM

https://www.furharvesters.com/pdf/pelthandling.pdf
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-09-2019, 04:00 PM

Don’t try to make them bigger then they are.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Banned

Wash the beaver whole and hang to dry. If they are pelts from the freezer, I fleshed them then washed them. To dry I folded them in half fur out and clamped the pelt around the edges so the leather didn’t dry out.

The most important part for me to learn about fleshing was to use a sharp fleshing knife down the meat on the back and a dull fleshing knife on the fatty sides. I kept putting holes in the sides with a sharp knife when all that I needed to do was push the fat off.

For boarding hold the pelt where the nails go at the nose and tail. Gently stretch the pelt on the board and note which ring it corresponds to. Then pick the second ring down and board it on that ring. It’ll seem loose but it’ll shrink tight and won’t over stretch. Trim the excess at nose and tail and then lift the pelt to the bottom of the nail heads.

Don’t leave the pelt on the board too long or it’ll be too dry and it’ll crack/split at the nails when you are taking them out. Three days usually does it in my shack.....four days max. I use a claw hammer with a small block of 2”x4” to put under the hammer when prying the nails. It helps to take the nails out straight rather than sideways.

Last point......2XXL and 3XXXL sell in the same lots so there’s no advantage to going 3XXXL unless you have a really huge pelt that’ll be too loose on the 2XXL ring.

Last edited by HunterDave; 02-09-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:17 AM

I have a piece of pipe welded to the top of a hammer for help when pulling the nails out.

Jim
Old 02-10-2019, 06:44 AM

Google wild fur shipping council you tube videos.

They just posted a series on beaver handling and grading. Awesome videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2019, 08:53 PM

Thanks for all the info guys An sask I actually just finished watching that video was informative that’s forsure
Old 02-17-2019, 11:59 AM
Banned

Not saying it would not help (???), but I have never washer a beaver pelt, in all my years and manage to do a top lot every year...????...furthermore, with the prices where they have been, gives me more reason to shake my head.