Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 10:32 AM

How thick is the ice way out in the middle of the lake where some trucks have been going ?
Old 02-18-2019, 12:07 PM

No trucks ventured out as far as we went with our sleds, but they could have if they wanted to. 16-20 inches of black ice out there. We were 10 KM NorthEast of the PP.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:04 PM

Embarrassed to say , out loud on open forum, son and I never had a bite today
Old 02-18-2019, 05:08 PM

Smile

Better start planning a trip to Manitoba
Old 02-18-2019, 05:34 PM

Rumour locals don,t care much for Alberta plates they like c&r
Old 02-18-2019, 05:38 PM

But it would be in June !
Old 02-18-2019, 05:47 PM

That post was meant with no disrespect I agree your regs r something just sayin hide your gear an good luck fishin
Old 02-18-2019, 06:12 PM

Flin flon has the friendliest people around just make sure your trailer is locked to your truck !
Old 02-18-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifinder View Post
That post was meant with no disrespect I agree your regs r something just sayin hide your gear an good luck fishin
Bahaha....there's probably 1000km of nets in the water at any given time in that province....c&r my arse. Manitobans love to eat fish I work with plenty of them. Lotsa manitoba plates in alberta workin away to provide for their families. I'm sure albertans don't like that either. But we all get along right?
Old 02-18-2019, 06:32 PM

That's fine I'm from Manitoba and I go fishing there every year the less the better actually the way we like it.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:22 PM

The bite was tough this week, we really had to work for the few that we caught hopefully it picks up again shortly two weeks ago the action was pretty steady. We did manage a few couple nicer ones on Friday tho.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
Embarrassed to say , out loud on open forum, son and I never had a bite today
I have to say it’s kinda refreshing to see someone come on here and say they were skunked. It’s probably happened to all of us a time or two and it sure makes a person appreciate the good days!
Old 02-19-2019, 05:14 PM

I find Feb is all ways slow.
Will pick up in March with the blue sky !
Old 02-19-2019, 05:21 PM

Going friday to Sunday. Going to start shallow on porch so we have something to eat. And try for the Lakers sat and sun. Hopefully we can make some friends out there more knowledgable to help find the fish. Skunk is always a possibility though.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binati View Post
Going friday to Sunday. Going to start shallow on porch so we have something to eat. And try for the Lakers sat and sun. Hopefully we can make some friends out there more knowledgable to help find the fish. Skunk is always a possibility though.
Throw a tip up or two out for pike burbot or walleye while you are shallow. Takes the pressure off having a little meat in the pail first thing. You'll be fine. If you aren't getting any action don't sit there. Sheez a big lake and they don't just come to you. Fish aggresive and get the biters while they are biting. Then you can relax and go for the trouts.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:48 PM

As mobile as we can. 2 of us gives us 4 lines but got a pull camper shack so wont be able to hop around too much with out messing around. Weather looks decent so we can just fish outside too.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:38 PM

With my annual trip to Cold Lake in the books I wanted to give a quick update on how things are going out there. The driving conditions are getting sketchy as of today. With the strong wind and cold the snow is deep in some areas with a hard crust on top. We got stuck once going out and once on the way in. Thursday and Friday the driving was decent with the softer snow. BRING A SHOVEL I am glad I did. People are still driving around but be prepared to do some digging. As for the fishing the trout are being finicky. Caught 9 fish in 2 days between two guys with many short strikes. Lots of chases but really had to work to get them to bite. Almost all the fish were caught on the stinger hook. Overall it was a great trip and those trout have me going back every year. The picture attached is one of the 9 trout caught. I make the tubes and sell them on my website PM me if you are interested in getting some. Thanks to everyone that gave updates over the last few weeks. Tight Lines

Old 02-24-2019, 07:32 AM

This Lake seems to be getting very slow wasn't too many years ago you could catch multiple multiple numbers of lake trout and the odd big one that's why I'm saving my coin and going to Manitoba they have some great deals stay right on the lake cost same amount of money is going to Cold Lake and getting a hotel for two nights anyway we got 12 albertans going in March looking for another group in April thanks . Thanks for your update on Cold Lake
Old 02-24-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
This Lake seems to be getting very slow wasn't too many years ago you could catch multiple multiple numbers of lake trout and the odd big one that's why I'm saving my coin and going to Manitoba they have some great deals stay right on the lake cost same amount of money is going to Cold Lake and getting a hotel for two nights anyway we got 12 albertans going in March looking for another group in April thanks . Thanks for your update on Cold Lake
Cold gets fished HARD. No fishery can sustain that amount of constant pressure and keep its quality up. Still has monsters lurking around, but just tougher to find. But I don't mind the challenge.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:55 PM

There are a lot of lakers in Cold lake ,small and large.
I just find there are to many bait fish for them to feed on making it hard to catch any as they are all full.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
There are a lot of lakers in Cold lake ,small and large.
I just find there are to many bait fish for them to feed on making it hard to catch any as they are all full.
Getting them to bite is definitely the most challenging part. There are days we mark fish every 10-15 minutes but can only manage a hand full of bites. Could be because they are stuffed full of bait fish already...
Old 02-24-2019, 03:47 PM

So I don’t know the lake as well as a lot of you but don’t most of you blame the tough bite mostly on the fact the fish just aren’t feeding as much in the winter ? I don’t think we would be having this conversation in June or July.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigapoolza View Post
So I don’t know the lake as well as a lot of you but don’t most of you blame the tough bite mostly on the fact the fish just aren’t feeding as much in the winter ? I don’t think we would be having this conversation in June or July.
Like most things lakers do eat less in the winter but I don't think that is as much a factor as in the summer you can cover more area in a boat trolling then you can drilling a hole and waiting then moving and drilling again plus the laker has a larger area of water that he will travel in because on the cold water turn over. I do agree with JR the abundance of bait fish and lakers adding additional items to their diet in the winter is also an issue

Mack
Old 02-25-2019, 12:02 PM

Went all weekend. Got stuck several times, lost a tire chain and didn't sleep for the ice cracking. So pretry good trip except for the fact we caught zero fish. Had many chase the hooks on the sonar. Every new presentation I dropped would get interest but nothing bit. Fast jigging slow jigging pulling away small bait big bait rattlers shakers glow and spoons. It was our first time trying and I don't know if seeing them on radar is a blessing or a curse. Not many people out there from what I saw all weekend the few that were there were more than helpful though.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:11 PM

WOW that's what I hear more and more ,this will be first year in 12 yrs that I did not hit cold lake.Will try my luck in Manitoba this year.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:53 PM

It was pretty loud last weekend too. There would be a huge boom and my son would lean forward and stare at the lowrance . I asked what he was looking for and with a straight face he said “ the truck “ !
Old 02-27-2019, 08:36 PM

Anyone know what the ice thickness or conditions are by English bay or that boat launch in the English Bay camp ground?
Old 03-01-2019, 02:08 PM

Thinking about leaving the sleds at home. Guys getting around well enough with a truck outside the bay?
Old 03-03-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
Thinking about leaving the sleds at home. Guys getting around well enough with a truck outside the bay?
just got back from there.....we never had a problem in truck...
Old 03-03-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke29 View Post
just got back from there.....we never had a problem in truck...
How was the fishin?