Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 09:26 PM

Smith...2 goals on 8 shots?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:27 PM

So, just started watching, is Smith playing better than his letting every 4th shot in would indicate?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:28 PM

Yesssss!!!!! Garbage goal!!!! Love it when they crash net.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-20-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Smith...2 goals on 8 shots?
True but can't really blame him. That last goal the D men were all standing there watching the game as spectators.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:29 PM

Smith hasn't been busy, but I don't blame him for the goals. Lee left all alone on his goal, 3 Flames puck watching. Smith is really moving puck good tonight too.

And if I stick up for Smith, he must be doing ok.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-20-2019, 09:32 PM

Whooooooopppp!!! Johnny with a little rocket shot! We needed that one! 4-2

Old 02-20-2019, 09:36 PM

He picked that spot and ripped it. Nice goal.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:48 PM

How that wasn't a penalty on cluster-buck for that hit on Anderson......wow.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
How that wasn't a penalty on cluster-buck for that hit on Anderson......wow.
If it was a penalty, it would be borderline IMO. Why would it be, a smidge late?

How was that not a penalty on Andrew Mangipanie(sp)? Had both arms wrapped around him from behind and hauled him down.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:51 PM

How the hell did Backlund get a penalty on that??? And tossed?

Old 02-20-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
If it was a penalty, it would be borderline IMO. Why would it be, a smidge late?

How was that not a penalty on Andrew Mangipanie(sp)? Had both arms wrapped around him from behind and hauled him down.
I figured that was boarding, squarely in the numbers from behind, no?

Old 02-20-2019, 09:55 PM

Couple good save by Smith...he is good tonight.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:57 PM
Banned

Kelly Hrudy is right. Timely saves. And for each of the last few games Smith has been big when it was needed.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I figured that was boarding, squarely in the numbers from behind, no?
I'm no expert on the rules, but believe the vast majority of the time they are only going to call boarding if there is a chance contact is going to send the player head first into the boards. As Anderson was right up against the boards, no boarding.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 PM

I guess they should get a goal after that interference....that should do it!

Old 02-20-2019, 10:02 PM

Gritty game by the flames. Hoping Bennett and clutter_uck would have tangled. That was a crap call on Backlund. How do you embellish if the stick is in youre skates?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I'm no expert on the rules, but believe the vast majority of the time they are only going to call boarding if there is a chance contact is going to send the player head first into the boards. As Anderson was right up against the boards, no boarding.
Maybe I saw it wrong, I thought Anderson was a foot or better away from boards when contact was made......it's a fast game. Anyway, good win for Flames, very solid performance. Hathaway was fiesty, I liked his game.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:11 PM

That call and kicking Backlund out of the game was WEAK, and why did that Hathaway goal not count at the end? Well I guess I should ask why did they blow it dead as Islanders never touched the puck after the Interference call was made?? Refs were horrible this game.

Big Win though..
Old 02-20-2019, 10:13 PM

Looked like everybody had a pretty solid game.

A couple of gripes. It's unfortunate that they seem to play better, at worst his absence isn't noticeable, when the 5.75M dollar man isn't in the lineup. The other thing that is somewhat concerning, that yes, he's winning, but Smith's SA% has been above 0.900 twice in his last seven games. If they win and he has SA% of .400, I'm good, just can't see those two stats co-existing in the playoffs.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Refs were horrible this game.
I'm sorry you're so disillusioned to think it's just been this game.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Looked like everybody had a pretty solid game.

A couple of gripes. It's unfortunate that they seem to play better, at worst his absence isn't noticeable, when the 5.75M dollar man isn't in the lineup. The other thing that is somewhat concerning, that yes, he's winning, but Smith's SA% has been above 0.900 twice in his last seven games. If they win and he has SA% of .400, I'm good, just can't see those two stats co-existing in the playoffs.

I also noticed that I didn't notice Neal being gone...and again, Smith makes winning look so hard....even though tonight he did make some really excellent stops...whther he can carry the team in the playoffs is a big scary maybe for certain.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:29 PM

Now they need to get BSD head back in the game here, I would hope he starts next game against the Ducks
that happens and he get back into it, we may be good between the pipes down the stretch,

You guys hear that rumor of possible trade / pure rental between Ducks and Sharks? Ryan Miller to the Sharks for third round draft pick, only for playoffs and then re-sign back with Ducks for next year? That would suck for us.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry you're so disillusioned to think it's just been this game.
Ha NOPE been bad plenty, but was just speaking of tonight in this case.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:30 PM

So That’s what 60 minutes of hockey looks like. Can’t wait til we play them again next week. SOLID game and really like how well the D focused on getting shots on net. Ok let’s get on a role
Old 02-20-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I also noticed that I didn't notice Neal being gone...and again, Smith makes winning look so hard....even though tonight he did make some really excellent stops...whther he can carry the team in the playoffs is a big scary maybe for certain.
If you are hinting at maybe trading Neal at the deadline, that is a real tough one for the GM especially if he goes to another team in the payoffs. It could make a GM look like a genius or an idiot. Neal has 100 playoff games under his belt with 55 playoff points. Really tough call.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:47 PM

I don't know why, but when it comes to Neal I always think he will be key and he has been in a lot of plays. He could be a good guy to have around come playoffs only due to his being there before.
Not sure why I can't just give up on that dude.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
I keep noticing Czanik scoring in place of the Neal. 3 goals in 3 games.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
If you are hinting at maybe trading Neal at the deadline, that is a real tough one for the GM especially if he goes to another team in the payoffs. It could make a GM look like a genius or an idiot. Neal has 100 playoff games under his belt with 55 playoff points. Really tough call.

No, not hinting about a trade, just an observation that he isn't really noticeable whether there or not. All his numbers in previous years sure haven't added up to much this year but maybe he wakes up for playoffs? If not, he can sit in press box as far as I'm concerned ....

Old 02-21-2019, 06:01 PM

Pittsburgh aint doing us any favors right now. San Jose is beating them 3-0 after the first.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:16 PM

Yeah, saw that too....Sharks are on a bit of a tear.