Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Not to be a downer, but at that speed that is a “firearm” as per the Criminal Code. Does your town have a bylaw preventing the discharge of a firearm within city limits?
You actually brought up a very good point that I never thought of, being that it is over 500 FPS it has to be stored in the gun safe with a trigger lock. I honestly never would have thought of that.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Banned

Gotta be careful...
I too have the screen out of my 2nd fl bedroom window. The magpies were decimating my songbird boxes (watched a couple magpies once brazenly take two young chicks sitting on a branch next to the bird box).
One day I nailed one but it wasn't a clean shot. He flew about 15m and promptly expired on my neighbors roof.
For a day or two I was waiting for the cops to show up at my door wanting to know if I knew anything about this dead bird with a pellet in him
Old 09-05-2018, 11:58 AM

Ok boys, please clue me in on this: is this 100% kosher to shoot these noisy buggers in the city limits from your backyard or windows? Also, how do you dispose of dead bodies?
Old 09-05-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You actually brought up a very good point that I never thought of, being that it is over 500 FPS it has to be stored in the gun safe with a trigger lock. I honestly never would have thought of that.
Either a safe, OR a locked case/container OR a trigger lock would be legal.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Ok boys, please clue me in on this: is this 100% kosher to shoot these noisy buggers in the city limits from your backyard or windows? Also, how do you dispose of dead bodies?
It's not legal, most cities and towns even have bylaws against discharging airguns within their limits. But I do find it entertaining that some people that are such strong supporters of photo radar, parking legally, and other laws, don't seem to care about discharging an air rifle illegally within city/town limits. It appears that some laws are optional.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
In Calgary it looks like it could earn you a visit from the dogcatcher.

DANGEROUS AND UNLAWFUL PRACTICES
8. Unless otherwise lawfully authorized, no person shall convey a firearm, pellet gun, B.B.
gun, air gun, or gas operated gun in which a round of ammunition for such a gun or firearm
is in the chamber within the City.
9. (1) No person shall discharge a firearm, pellet gun, B.B. gun, air gun or a gas powered
gun within the City.
(2) Notwithstanding Subsection (1), the Chief of Police may authorize the discharge of
a firearm or gun for animal control purposes, special events or within the range
facilities of a gun club or similar organization.
(3) An authorization under Subsection (2) shall be in writing and may be in the form of
a specific authorization or an annual permit for a specified location, event or activity.

I'm no lawyer but it looks doable if you make it an annual magpie shooting festival.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Either a safe, OR a locked case/container OR a trigger lock would be legal.
If you live in a rural setting I think you can store it unlocked for pest control not sure how that works though I'd use a trigger lock just in case.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
It's not legal, most cities and towns even have bylaws against discharging airguns within their limits. But I do find it entertaining that some people that are such strong supporters of photo radar, parking legally, and other laws, don't seem to care about discharging an air rifle illegally within city/town limits. It appears that some laws are optional.

I am so happy you are entertained. You made my day.
Believe it or not, and you wont, but sometimes we are asked to get rid of problem pests FOR the village and schools. Tougher in a city for sure but you sure love swinging that broad brush for all you are worth.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 09-05-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:21 PM

Forgot- Princess auto has pellets on sale for $3.99

Old 09-05-2018, 03:12 PM

Anybody with insight regarding pellet type for best accuracy... my experience is round nose and heavy work best.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Totally illegal but the Lord hates a coward (just don't get caught) and the ravens will clean up any carcass left lying around. I bag the bunnies I shoot and put them in the garbage dumpster.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:57 PM

Talking

Quote:
Depends on the hamlet/village/town/city bylaws and how well you get along with the village council.
If you leave a dead bird on the lawn it is great bait for the next step up the pest ladder; cats/skunks/coyotes.

If someone comes in here whining about illegal baiting I am going to have to start drinking!!! LOL

Old 09-05-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Anybody with insight regarding pellet type for best accuracy... my experience is round nose and heavy work best.
Dome and medium weight with my rifles, but I haven;t used the flat nosed match pellets, because I use my rifles for varmints.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Differs from rifle to rifle but needs to be heavy enough to keep in the sweet spot but not too heavy.
In my .22 collection I have from 10 grain up to 34 or 36 grain and found that my two .22 cal rifles both shout the crossman premier heavy dome or hollow point quite well, well enough to not bother ordering any more of the premium expensive pellets.

V
Old 09-05-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecngsr View Post
Differs from rifle to rifle but needs to be heavy enough to keep in the sweet spot but not too heavy.
In my .22 collection I have from 10 grain up to 34 or 36 grain and found that my two .22 cal rifles both shout the crossman premier heavy dome or hollow point quite well, well enough to not bother ordering any more of the premium expensive pellets.
V
I discovered speed was not my friend when I tried some light alloy with “game” points.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
It’s not legal...I was just kidding, but a guy has to have a dream!
I’ve layed awake many a nights visioning it.
I’ve even been tempted to hide out in the truck one night with the sunroof open...directly under that god forsaken tree.....

Oops..I quoted the wrong post...sorry elk
Old 09-05-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Cool.

-out the window without socks roflol!!!

I have to admit looking through the scope of a pellet gun is kind of a neat experience when you see the pellet leave the barrel for that microsecond and then hit the target

I am definitely into a pellet swap just don't know where I am going to be able to contribute anything you guys don't have but I will look for sure.
No return needed Ken. I would probably be hard pressed to find anything different to try. I may or may not charge a coffee. If we meet up, I'll bring mine as well.

You might want to start looking for a new airgun rated scope now, as those package deals seem to give out pretty soon, pretty regularly. Or just go ahead and buy a PCP now, and save yourself some time!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 09-05-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Hypothetically...asking for a friend

whats the arc and travel of a pellet when shooting out of a first-floor bedroom window, underwear, but no socks, up at a mature maple tree, say 43 ft up, 60 ft distance.

IF my friend misses, how far will the pellet travel and will it penetrate my friend's neighbors brand new picture window across the street?
Or is it more likely to fall harmlessly in their backyard with a simple "thwack" on the siding of the garage?

My "friend" may or may not be willing to serve jail time to get rid of magpies constantly pooping all over his truck parked directly under the above-mentioned maple tree.

Also...how loud is a falling magpie landing on the roof or hood of a half ton? (blue in colour)

Again, purely hypothetical question.
I happen to have... uh heard from a pretty good authority, that if you manage to shoot a devil crow from a bunch that wakes you up every morning on days off, and it tumbles but hangs up in a tree like a Viking blood eagle on display. It will scare the rest of them away for a couple years, if it manages to stay hanging..

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 09-05-2018, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
You realize I am in my 50's, right?
An air rifle is not my first foray into shooting.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:

V
I installed a regulator in my aa s410 tdr fac and to my surprise it shoots crosman hp’s as well as h&n and jsb and my annoyance as I ordered many tins of said h&n’s and jsb’s.

It’s funny that I have almost the same weights of pellets for my 25 cal that you have for your 22 cal, i’ve got 14.4 pba to 38 grain eunjin.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
No return needed Ken. I would probably be hard pressed to find anything different to try. I may or may not charge a coffee. If we meet up, I'll bring mine as well.

You might want to start looking for a new airgun rated scope now, as those package deals seem to give out pretty soon, pretty regularly. Or just go ahead and buy a PCP now, and save yourself some time!
Pcp?

Brand of scope?

Maybe a first ever AO meet at cabelas is in order? Or fishin hole? We used to meet at ws all the time, even bass pro once.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Hmmmm guy buys pellet rifle to whack magpie's, get a few hey ya know I know a few things or two about regs better be careful you have a rifle....man what ever happened to whack'em and make a few good ol' pie's?

Whack'em Ken and post a few pics too

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-06-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Pcp?

Brand of scope?

Maybe a first ever AO meet at cabelas is in order? Or fishin hole? We used to meet at ws all the time, even bass pro once.
Pcp stands for pre charged pneumatic, it utilizes high pressure air for a power house instead of a spring/nitro piston or multi pump system.

When choosing a scope for a spring/nitro piston airgun it must be springer rated as the recoil of those airguns are forward rather than backward as firearms and most rifle scopes quickly get destroyed. If you decide to upgrade I recommend the AirMax line from Hawke scopes.

Here’s a pic of my pcp, the air tank is below the barrel
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C4C898B7-4224-4D22-82D9-7D2F0B934FDD.jpeg (31.3 KB, 94 views)
Old 09-06-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Pcp?

Brand of scope?

PCP=PreCharged Pneumatic. Kind of like a CO2 version but it runs around 3000PSI. Because it uses compressed air, there is little recoil at all, thus there is little force exerted on whatever scope you choose.

Brand of Scope - your magpie feeder probably kicks like a .308 or harder, and that'll destroy cheaper scopes.

--Watching this space for Cabela's meetup--
Old 09-06-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:

V
I love the Crossman Premier Heavy Domed, but it's hard to find 'em in 10.5gr (I shoot .177 cal) 1250ct cartons.

I tried some H&N piledrivers, 21 gr, and they're pretty amazing out of my Gamo Magnum (rated 1650 fps with those ultra-light weight pellets....real world I flirt with supersonic with the 10.5gr crossman heavies)
Old 09-06-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Brand of Scope - your magpie feeder probably kicks like a .308 or harder, and that'll destroy cheaper scopes.
It's not about the magnitude of the recoil, it's about the direction of the recoil. Springer air rifles recoil forward , as well, which many non air rifle rated scopes are not designed to deal with.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
It's not about the magnitude of the recoil, it's about the direction of the recoil. Springer air rifles recoil forward , as well, which many non air rifle rated scopes are not designed to deal with.
Makes sense. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2018, 08:25 AM

Interesting stuff guys keep it coming please. I had no idea there was so much interest in air projectiles. I will likely set up a good stand and rest and see what the thing actually will do with the right pellets once I get a good assortment.
Almost had pics this morning as the damn birds were screaming at stupid early o clock but they stayed hidden. Soon.....
If you look on YouTube there are guys that hunt rats with air, and have a slick camera setup. May have to 3d print a mount.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:39 AM

Hey Ken....I use a Weihrauch 97 around my place.

I used to use a gamo something or other cuz I got sucked in on the big velocities using "their" pellets. I found big accuracy issues once you get over that 1000 fps. 950 is perfect.

You can buy sample packs to try pellets out. I would highly recommend this. Once you find one that works....stick with it. Heavy is good but you've got pretty good size already being .22.

These guys are awesome to deal with. Not sure how they get their stuff up here to me in 3-4 days but they do.

D&L Airguns out of somewhere in BC. Truly a good company.....fantastic service.

If you're looking for a scope.....I'd recommend checking out the Hawke lineup.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:24 AM

Straightshooters.com has chronograph results for many different pellets for the air rifles that they sell. They also list the B.C. for each pellet, and the downrange velocities.