Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-29-2014, 10:05 AM

tagged thread so I can see this buck once you find him

im sure hes dead...you been doing this enough you wouldn't have taken the shot if you couldn't make it...arrow probably still in the wound so no blood to follow.

good luck!!
Old 10-29-2014, 10:25 AM

There have been a pile of birds flying over but none have committed to a location. Im assuming this cold doesn't help but I am positive about tonight.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:40 AM

Good luck Bone, hope to see some pics tonight!!
Old 10-29-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector10 View Post
There have been a pile of birds flying over but none have committed to a location. Im assuming this cold doesn't help but I am positive about tonight.
Keep on it, I hope you find him. I recovered a deer a couple years ago that I made a poor shot on....tracked it over 2-3kms over 1.5days until the snow covered any sign, recovered what was left of the deer 2 days after.

Still bothers me I never got him quickly but I was happy to have the closure

LC
Old 10-29-2014, 12:11 PM

I know you have been offered but if you would like some help send me a PM.

Good Luck!!
Old 10-29-2014, 01:10 PM

Default Just an observation

Friend of mine shot a deer from a stand, we spend 3 days looking for that deer and finally found it not 50 yards from the initial shot. We covered 1 square mile of land in a grid formation from the initial shot. On the thrid day, we started over again, the deer had nestled itself in thick brush and high grass. No birds or coyotes present at the time. Its an awful feeling but keep looking. Orange tape everything so you don't have to go over the same site twice.

Being defeated is optional!
Old 10-29-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I know you have been offered but if you would like some help send me a PM.

Good Luck!!
X2 I'm off the phones now & could lend you my eyes.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-29-2014, 09:50 PM

Well no news is usually bad news. I am still hoping for some field pics, fingers crossed.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Banned

No kidding eh? I hope he finds it too.......... loosing an animal really sucks the big one!!!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:02 AM

Kudos on putting the effort in to find your deer.

Like some of the guys have mentioned, it's amazing how well they can hide. I found one of mine tucked in underneath a spruce fifty yards from where he was shot - he wasn't a small deer, but he sure made a compact package when he was laying there. That one I found by getting low and scanning around.

Wish you all the best in recovering him!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:22 AM

No news is bad news. Went in again last night and scanned the area once again and found no sign. I wish the arrow was somewhere... No birds as of yet but he still hasn't shown up on any of my cameras when all his friends do.

Not sure if its because he's dead or he doesn't really enjoy the area where he gets shot.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
No news is bad news. Went in again last night and scanned the area once again and found no sign. I wish the arrow was somewhere... No birds as of yet but he still hasn't shown up on any of my cameras when all his friends do.

Not sure if its because he's dead or he doesn't really enjoy the area where he gets shot.
If you buried an arrow straight into him, he would be dead. If it took a deflection and caught a front leg or shoulder....he will avoid the area IMHO.

LC
Old 10-30-2014, 09:42 AM

Still have my fingers crossed for you, i'm sure your going thru many sleepless nights right now !
Old 11-07-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Sorry for the brief thread derail, but I need to comment on this photo. I took my first elk this year with a bow, and the angle of the shot was just like this. It would have been a perfect rifle shot, but with an arrow, at this angle the ribcage formed a solid wall and the arrow deflected off the ribs and in behind the shoulder instead of into the lungs. Poor thing ran a good 500-600m before dying of blood loss. I will never take another bow shot at an animal again unless it's a perfect broadside.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894Cowboy View Post
Sorry for the brief thread derail, but I need to comment on this photo. I took my first elk this year with a bow, and the angle of the shot was just like this. It would have been a perfect rifle shot, but with an arrow, at this angle the ribcage formed a solid wall and the arrow deflected off the ribs and in behind the shoulder instead of into the lungs. Poor thing ran a good 500-600m before dying of blood loss. I will never take another bow shot at an animal again unless it's a perfect broadside.
This is how the elk stood just before the shot, slight quartering away is as good or better than broad side in my opinion.

This is the exit (arrow blew through completely) behind the front leg. Recovery was less than 50 yards,

Sorry your arrow took a deflection. How far was the shot?

LC
Old 11-07-2014, 07:10 PM

Mine was at a slight 1/4 away too, I feel it's a great shot. A steep 1/4 away may not be so good. My arrow stuck into the off side leg after taking one lung and top of the heart. If I had not gotten the heart he may have went further? But who is to know, I do know that the arrow stuck in that off side leg/ shoulder junction really ripped up alot of meat I was just glad my tacking job was short.
Bone collector I kept hoping you would find him. I'm not established enough yet to try that shot with a bow, I have taken that shot with a rifle and its a hammer.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Sorry your arrow took a deflection. How far was the shot?
Wow that's a good shot...perhaps mine was too much quartered away. It was only a 20 yard shot.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Wow that's a good shot...perhaps mine was too much quartered away. It was only a 20 yard shot.
Funny things can happen once an arrow leaves the bow. After I viewed the video and the still photos I noticed I shot further ahead than I recalled....it all worked out but honestly on the exact same shot again I would prefer to be a touch lower and touch further back.

LC
Old 11-07-2014, 10:46 PM

Because this thread was started a week ago...

Bonecollector
Did you ever find the buck?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-08-2014, 04:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Because this thread was started a week ago...

Bonecollector
Did you ever find the buck?
Ya like Red Bullets said! We all want to know? How did it turn out for you???
Old 11-08-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Last night I had a buck come in head on to my blind, its a buck I've been following for quite some time and have targeted this particular buck.

He was coming directly towards me with his head to the ground following a trail. He stopped occasionally but as if on a string kept coming towards me then finally stopped at a bush 18 yards away right before an intersection. I knew he'd either have to go left or right which would present a broadside shot so I drew my bow back but about half way back he looked up and pinned me. I figured if i go back down or up he's gonna see movement so drew all the way back.

He stomped at the ground and and took one step to the side and I released the arrow. Not my favourite shot but I've taken it before and felt confident.
Ive attached a picture below to show where I aimed and as he took off I could see an entrance wound there.

As the arrow hit a very loud whack rang and the buck did the typical jumped up kicked his hind legs and went on a dead run towards a bush 80 yards away. I gave em 30 and walked to the edge of the bush and found no blood or arrow so backed out. Went back in this morning and combed the bush he went in and found nothing. Its a swampy bush with willows and cat tails some grass patches in 4' tall so I could've walked over him. As i entered the meadow this morning a coyote ran out and while leaving more and more crows were flying in every direction above me.

What I am wondering is does anyone have any experience with this type of shot? My gut tells me I hit em low and got a heart shot and the blood is pooling up inside. Very hard to find a deer in that stuff with no blood or birds so will return tonight.
That's a hard shot to take. Temptation is evil isn't it? I hope you find him, and better yet I hope you and anyone who reads the post learns from it, and doesn't take the shot. In my experience, if you get busted one day, you still good to go the next day, and thereafter. Good luck
Old 11-08-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
ran a good 500-600m before dying of blood loss
They all die of blood loss, and a 500 yard track is no so unusual. A running elk would cover that pretty quickly. For quartering shots, you have to visualize where the heart and lungs sit in the cavity, vs aiming just behind the front shoulder. You would need to hold back further, on what almost feels like a gut shot, for it to hit the right spot on the strong quartering away stance. You recovered your animal, so well done, but I wouldn't give up on that shot in the furure, but just hold back another few inches.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:07 AM

The shot placement looks a little high for a heart shot and I would be looking for magpies, crows, ravens fighting in order to find it. When I first started hunting with a bow, our club made it mandatory to take a Bow Hunter ed class.............of course I resisted, I knew it all, I didn't have to because I have a Treaty Card and so on.

BUT I was so thankful for the class. It humbled me a lot and leant a lot. Shot placement, how the bow and arrow works as opposed to a gun and bullet.

My advise, learn form the experience, look for birds..................and show the pics..good luck.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:21 AM

Im heading in tomorrow to pull chips and see if he reappeared.

Went back five days straight and checked every corner no blood, arrow or birds made for some tough tracking. I hope he's still alive so I can get some closure.

Worst feeling ever, I have never been so turned off.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:10 PM

The buck lives. Got some pics of him on my camera.

Picture of where the arrow went in is below and where the arrow came out a tutor the size of a softball is starting to grow...

Thanks to all those with the positive feed back and willingness to help find em.

As for the other guys... First off don't judge until your in my shoes, second of all I would never take a shot I didn't feel comfortable with. This is a low probability shot but it is a kill shot. Get mad at me when I hit one in the hind running away at 70 yards with a doe and a fawn behind him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3086.jpg (35.7 KB, 122 views)
Old 12-05-2014, 04:12 PM

Now that I analyze this picture a few things come to mind. He was at 11 yards, I put my 20 pin so I'm assuming thats why the arrow went higher then I initially assumed. Secondly I shot through the mesh, not a fan but because they were coming so close I needed some extra security. Not sure if this would affect the arrow flight.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:21 PM

Glad to see him still running , and also for you , at least you have some closure bonecollector , instead of wondering if you hit him and lost him, missed him, wounded him and he died, etc.
All those questions are answered now!
Cat
Old 12-05-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Glad to see him still running , and also for you , at least you have some closure bonecollector , instead of wondering if you hit him and lost him, missed him, wounded him and he died, etc.
All those questions are answered now!
Cat
The biggest thing was closure. I don't want to sound spoiled I just wish there was another outcome, after anchoring a 165" white tail at another location I found out he was alive leaving no room for redemption... next year
Old 12-05-2014, 04:34 PM

At 11 yards your 20 pin will still be within an inch or so of where your pin is. More likely the mesh screwed you than picking the incorrect pin.

Here's one for Ya to chew on, if you ever get a really close shot, say 3 yards or so, pick your 60 or 70 yard pin and you will be bang on it! If you don't see it immediately, next time you are out shooting give it a try.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
The biggest thing was closure. I don't want to sound spoiled I just wish there was another outcome, after anchoring a 165" white tail at another location I found out he was alive leaving no room for redemption... next year
Pretty sure he will be around next year for you!
Well done on the perseverance!
Cat