Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Banned

I just check my arrows first. If I hear a noise, that arrow is done. Simple, quick, and gives me all the piece of mind that I need to shoot carbon arrows
Old 02-12-2014, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I can tell the difference.
How is it you guys tell a difference? Ask a professional shoot and they will tell you 98% of people it does not make any difference. Most of it is in your head IMO.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I just check my arrows first. If I hear a noise, that arrow is done. Simple, quick, and gives me all the piece of mind that I need to shoot carbon arrows
Before you shoot an animal?

I don't usually have that kind of time, or mind set when I have a bull elk screaming 25yds away. The less I have to worry about when I'm hunting the better. I get a few thousand shots out of a dozen arrows, if I spend an extra $60 it probably works out to less than 5 cents a shot.

Money well spent IMO.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Ever see an arrow that has exploded thru someone's hand? The little extra you pay for carbon/aluminum combo arrows such as ACC's and FMJ's is well worth it. I do a lot of shooting at 80yds and love both the ACC's and FMJ's. I'm not sure if it's because they are a more accurate arrow, or if it's the piece of mind from knowing the arrow I'm shooting at the target won't end up in splinters in my hand, but I can put 3 arrows in a 1-1/2" circle @ 80yds with it (obviously not every time, but 4" groups are common).

What would you consider a fair price difference for an arrow that you know won't blast thru your hand on release?
Who says you cant have one of your arrows blow up? I don't buy that as a reason to spend double the amount of money to get a arrow that has aluminum is side it. I have been shooting a bow for over 20 years and have never had an arrow blow up in my had. I shoot a lot of arrows through a bow annually to know that you have a better chance getting killed crossing the street over having a arrow blow up and going through your had. As for range and accuracy I shoot out passed 100 yard to practice and my .006 arrow shoot just as good as your acc's of FMJ and last just as long or longer than them. Either way I was stating my opinion on this topic as most get caught up in the hype of the big name big dollar arrows.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler1969 View Post
Who says you cant have one of your arrows blow up? I don't buy that as a reason to spend double the amount of money to get a arrow that has aluminum is side it. I have been shooting a bow for over 20 years and have never had an arrow blow up in my had. I shoot a lot of arrows through a bow annually to know that you have a better chance getting killed crossing the street over having a arrow blow up and going through your had. As for range and accuracy I shoot out passed 100 yard to practice and my .006 arrow shoot just as good as your acc's of FMJ and last just as long or longer than them. Either way I was stating my opinion on this topic as most get caught up in the hype of the big name big dollar arrows.
I bought my first compound bow, a pse jet flight in 1986 but I never shot a carbon arrow until the mid to late 90's. I've shot quite a few arrows down range and haven't put one thru my hand, but I know I never will.

Like you said, it's a matter of opinion, and in my opinion ACC's and FMJ's are the best shaft you can buy. Can I tell the difference in how they shoot? Never paid too much attention to it. The way I see it, there are some things I don't mind saving a buck of two on, and some things that, in my opinion are worth the premium. Quality shafts are one of the things I don't mind spending money on, personal safety is my main motive, the fact that ACC's are built to a higher standard than most is just a bonus.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:10 PM

I think the best arrow is the one that is spined correctly for your Bow along with enough arrow weight to get the penetration you need. Usually = 6-7 gr. per lbs. of draw weight for hunting. @ 70lbs. draw I use a 420 gr.( 6 X 70= 420) Goldtip XT hunter .003 straightness they are tough and I have been shooting them since they were invented almost all the new arrows on the market are very well made and you have a ton of choices to get the weight/spine you want .Look at the grains per inch to estimate the finished arrow weight Gold tip offers arrow calculators on there website so you can build it and get a weight .Just remember that Kinetic energy is only a math figure and momentum (overall weight ) needs to be considered and is what carries you through . Heavier arrows for Heavier game my arrows are excellent for deer a bit on the light side for Elk but Ok and I'll go to 500 gr. or more for moose
Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Before you shoot an animal?

I don't usually have that kind of time, or mind set when I have a bull elk screaming 25yds away. The less I have to worry about when I'm hunting the better. I get a few thousand shots out of a dozen arrows, if I spend an extra $60 it probably works out to less than 5 cents a shot.

Money well spent IMO.
Who says I have to do it right before I draw back? Flex them when you're doing your prep the night before, that morning, whatever.
I will flex my arrows everyday before shooting them the first time and then every time there is due cause. Like I've said in other posts, I've only been at this a year and a half but I already have more shots, most on the same arrows, than guys that have been doing this over 5 years. I have broken arrows, sure. But I have never come close to having one explode on release.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:30 AM

At a 3d tournament last year I had a nock explode right off my bow....must have got slapped the station prior by another arrow.
That was mildly entertaining.

Always check arrows when doing 3d and hunting is no different.

LC
Old 02-13-2014, 07:32 AM
Banned

Oh, I can tell the difference as well. I went from Carbon Express to Gold Tips, back to the Carbon Express. Even at 10 yards there is a noticeable difference. The arrows were as close to the same spine, weight, length, etc, as I could get and they flew really different. I couldn't get consistent groups. Back to the Carbon Express and at 30 yards I could get three into a twoonie. Now that I've gone to my new arrows, Easton Da Torch, it's tightened up again. I'll be sending my bow in for the Hooter Shooter Super Tune and I expect to be even better after that too.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Oh, I can tell the difference as well. I went from Carbon Express to Gold Tips, back to the Carbon Express. Even at 10 yards there is a noticeable difference. The arrows were as close to the same spine, weight, length, etc, as I could get and they flew really different. I couldn't get consistent groups. Back to the Carbon Express and at 30 yards I could get three into a twoonie. Now that I've gone to my new arrows, Easton Da Torch, it's tightened up again. I'll be sending my bow in for the Hooter Shooter Super Tune and I expect to be even better after that too.
Shoot whatever floats your boat man, the question the OP asked was "What is the best arrow?" not "What kind can I shoot?". In my opinion the arrow that fits that discription the best is ACC's, closely followed by FMJ's.

I don't think you realize the addiction archery has on people if you think you have flung more arrows in a year than most guys have in their life. Although it's a good idea to flex your arrows often, I doubt it's something that never gets forgotten. It only takes once for this to happen, but a carbon/aluminum shaft will eliminate the chances of it happening.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Shoot whatever floats your boat man, the question the OP asked was "What is the best arrow?" not "What kind can I shoot?". In my opinion the arrow that fits that discription the best is ACC's, closely followed by FMJ's.

I don't think you realize the addiction archery has on people if you think you have flung more arrows in a year than most guys have in their life. Although it's a good idea to flex your arrows often, I doubt it's something that never gets forgotten. It only takes once for this to happen, but a carbon/aluminum shaft will eliminate the chances of it happening.
How many times has this happened? I think you are over thinking this and putting your arrows ahead cause you think they are better. I actually think that a full carbon is way tougher that acc's or any thing that has two different materials glued together.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:37 AM

So I am thinking about the Easton nfused...as far as diameter, but still maintaining a bit of weight I hope they would be a good choice??? Not sure, but they get good reviews and the composition sounds as though they should be fairly resilient...any thought or feedback would be appreciated. Not to be a dick, but I have to admit archery doesn't seem to be intended for those intentionally trying to save money, I tried it and am addicted. I enjoy it and at the end of the day I think I am choosing my arrow based on reviews/feedback, and the price is a result of my choice...., but to each their own...don't want to attempt to criticize others for their choices.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
How many times has this happened? I think you are over thinking this and putting your arrows ahead cause you think they are better. I actually think that a full carbon is way tougher that acc's or any thing that has two different materials glued together.
Lol, I'm not sure how many times it's happened, but I know it's never happened with an ACC. Of course I think the ACC's are better, otherwise I wouldn't have said so. In my opinion they are the best, and that was the op's question no? They are made to a higher quality of tolorences and are safer to shoot than an all carbon arrow in my opinion.

What is the reason you think your arrows are better? Because they are cheaper? If the op would have asked what's the best arrow I can get for $60 a dozen or whatever, I would have given a different answer.

I spend the extra money on the arrows because I want to. If it reduces the chance of sticking an arrow thru my hand, no matter how slim the chances are, it's worth it to me. To ME. There are people who can't figure out why others spend the extra money, and people who figured it out. So long if it's not your money, it's not worth worring about
Old 02-13-2014, 10:58 AM
Banned

I had an gold tip explode on my elk when the rage balled up in its ribs carbon is nasty I lost the hole section of the elk butcher wouldn't touch it gutting it was horrible getting cut I think a cheaper arrow wouldve done worse damage
Old 02-13-2014, 11:28 AM

I made my kid flex his Blood Lines every shot. The other day at the indoor range he flexed the arrow and it never made a sound I was right beside him watching. The arrow exploded half way down range , enough for me he is now shooting FMJs as well , soo done with straight carbon ( my opinion, yours may differ, but you won't chance mine )
Old 02-13-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:

I heard of this happen before but never knew anyone doing this until I met a guy on a job site last year that did this. He was shooting cheap carbons. I was shooting FMJ's but switched to ACC as I wanted a ligther arrow; they seem to hold up well as I have bounced a few off trees in the back yard trying to shoot through some tight shooting lanes at the 3D targets.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lol, I'm not sure how many times it's happened, but I know it's never happened with an ACC. Of course I think the ACC's are better, otherwise I wouldn't have said so. In my opinion they are the best, and that was the op's question no? They are made to a higher quality of tolorences and are safer to shoot than an all carbon arrow in my opinion.

What is the reason you think your arrows are better? Because they are cheaper? If the op would have asked what's the best arrow I can get for $60 a dozen or whatever, I would have given a different answer.

I spend the extra money on the arrows because I want to. If it reduces the chance of sticking an arrow thru my hand, no matter how slim the chances are, it's worth it to me. To ME. There are people who can't figure out why others spend the extra money, and people who figured it out. So long if it's not your money, it's not worth worring about
I don't care if you spend $10000 per dozen or $100 for a cheaper end Gold tip. The reason you pay more for one to the other starts with the straightness of an arrow. Second is name brand name and good construction. Easton is the highest price arrow manufacture but the world champ Levi shoots the target gold tip arrows. I don't know if that makes them better or not. So either way your opinion is just that an opinion. I personally think you are wrong. But that is my opinion. I never stated buy the cheapest crap arrows either. I said pick a well known arrow company and buy there less expensive( less straight) arrow cause most cant tell the difference. To the op Go to a good pro shop such as earlier stated (Jimbows) and ask a PRO as no one that posted in this thread is.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I don't care if you spend $10000 per dozen or $100 for a cheaper end Gold tip. The reason you pay more for one to the other starts with the straightness of an arrow. Second is name brand name and good construction. Easton is the highest price arrow manufacture but the world champ Levi shoots the target gold tip arrows. I don't know if that makes them better or not. So either way your opinion is just that an opinion. I personally think you are wrong. But that is my opinion. I never stated buy the cheapest crap arrows either. I said pick a well known arrow company and buy there less expensive( less straight) arrow cause most cant tell the difference. To the op Go to a good pro shop such as earlier stated (Jimbows) and ask a PRO as no one that posted in this thread is.
Water

Are cranky all the time? do you have some thing pleasant to say to anyone? Just wondering. FS
Old 02-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
ACC's are THE best.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
ACC's are THE best.
Yup but I'm no PRO but sounds like water is.
I did shoot 3D with a past Canadian 3D champ and he was using ACC's.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm no pro, but Lawrence from Accurate Archery takes my advise
Old 02-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Water

Are cranky all the time? do you have some thing pleasant to say to anyone? Just wondering. FS
Not cranky. Just some people think they know everything and really only have there opinion.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
No I sure am not a pro but I don't claim because I shoot it, it is the best. You two are right about them being good target arrows. Thanks for more opinions.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:26 PM

my vote is FMJ's. for hunting.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
ACC's are THE best.
Ok I am convinced to try these. Where can I get the 390's ACC's. I am in Edmonton but go to Calgary once a week.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Ok I am convinced to try these. Where can I get the 390's ACC's. I am in Edmonton but go to Calgary once a week.
If you're not in a rush you could wait for the boat and sportsman show, and I think Lawrence might be carrying them when he opens up shop. SPAL sells them still, or if you'd like to talk to another one of Alberta's finest archery guru's shoot me a pm and I can give you Rene's number from Northern Lights in Lac la Biche, I've bought a ton of bows and accessories from him, super nice guy who started out as an instructor and progressed into a pro shop.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
If you're not in a rush you could wait for the boat and sportsman show, and I think Lawrence might be carrying them when he opens up shop. SPAL sells them still, or if you'd like to talk to another one of Alberta's finest archery guru's shoot me a pm and I can give you Rene's number from Northern Lights in Lac la Biche, I've bought a ton of bows and accessories from him, super nice guy who started out as an instructor and progressed into a pro shop.
I am going to texas for an archery hog/Turkey hunt first week of April. would lkie to get ASAP. Can you send me a PM with Rene's number?
Old 02-13-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
No I sure am not a pro but I don't claim because I shoot it, it is the best. You two are right about them being good target arrows. Thanks for more opinions.
I have never met Kurt, but I KNOW he doesn't buy schit.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:06 AM

I shoot Gold Tip Pro Hunters 75/95. When you read articles by guys like Joe Bell or Randy Ulmer, one thing that almost always comes up when they talk about improving accuracy is buying quality arrows with tight tolerances. Most professional archers shoot expensive arrows for a reason. I can't say all, but I know a lot of higher end arrows are spine matched per dozen as well. This can save you a lot of headaches when it comes time to broadhead tune with fixed blades. Budget brand arrows will only get you so far. And yes, you can tell the difference IMO.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
I am going to texas for an archery hog/Turkey hunt first week of April. would lkie to get ASAP. Can you send me a PM with Rene's number?
Good luck on your hog/turkey hunt, hope to see some pictures when you get back.