Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-17-2012, 08:18 PM

Some things are wrong and iresponsible. That shot is one of them.
Bowhunting is about getting close, not shooting far.
Pete
Old 05-17-2012, 08:30 PM

Good shot.

Any frontal shot on an animal with a bow is great. ( have turned down a few)
Anyways; Here is my view of the video.

Do we really know how far the shot was? It is granted that it was a long shot do to the arch of the arrow. seems to be hitting the deer at a large angle which indicates to me that it was from a distance. 110 yards? not sure.

Not sure where the deer was shot, but most areas in the states, have a ton on deer, but they do not compare in size to ours in Alberta. They are a lot smaller. Therefore you do not need as much energy to drop them; but also that means your target is a lot smaller.

It was a good shot with some luck added to it. It was probably was a long shot; but 110 yards? Your pin would cover the whole deer.

Good shot, long shot; but 110 yards I think not.

Cheers,
Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 PM

I shot and shoot all the time at a 100 yards and shoot very well at that yardage my longest shot was 91 yards on a 195 inch mule deer and if that was a 110 hard shot hats off to that guy on a great shot !! If u are capable of the shot then what is every one problem it's very clear that this guy was capable of the shot couses he made it GREAT SHOT ... What the differents of thoses long range rifle shooters shooting elk at 1000 meters ???
Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post

On the other hand, I have found that I have done a number of things,as I get older, that I've never thought I would do ... or swore I'd never do.

In retrospect, I have found that in regard to any number of things I did when younger, as I get older I wouldn't ever consider doing again....

Ethics are subjective and personal. I try to heavily weigh the odds in my favor enough to satisfy my ethics, if my ethics are not satiated then I pass on the opportunity. Happy these days I'm at peace with my conscience and not as subject to the foibles of youthful exuberance as I used to be.... and so are the critters........
Old 05-17-2012, 09:41 PM

Not to try and sound arrogant, but I was a Top FITA archer in Canada. Won several National Titles with the compound bow. I know I could make a shot like that, but never would. First off, I know how long it takes an arrow to get there and the deer can react and cause a very poor shot placement. Plus, today's technology at that distance isn't consistant enough to make that shot ethical. A properly setup target bow in the best shooters hands, will have the guy place on average 4/6 shots in a coffee cup at 90 meters (100 yrds). An average hunter, or even a great hunter can't do that with a target setup. Take a hunting setup and it is worse. I am not saying you can't stick 6 shots in a pie plate on average, but would you shoot a deer if that was your pattern????? A shot at that distance is pure luck with a hunting setup!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:35 PM

So what your saying is your capable of makeing that shot but wont .. And this guy did take the shot and made the GREAT shot and the deer never moved and got smoke right in the heart just were every one else aims ... And further more iv heard of people wonding animals with a bow and rifle closer then that ....
Old 05-17-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7brent View Post
I shot and shoot all the time at a 100 yards and shoot very well at that yardage my longest shot was 91 yards on a 195 inch mule deer and if that was a 110 hard shot hats off to that guy on a great shot !! If u are capable of the shot then what is every one problem it's very clear that this guy was capable of the shot couses he made it GREAT SHOT ... What the differents of thoses long range rifle shooters shooting elk at 1000 meters ???
we all love pics, lets see pics of your buck
Old 05-17-2012, 11:59 PM

Do you think he can make that shot again? Do you think the deer will stand still again?? How many times do you think me missed that same shot. We don't know how many times this was attempted, but if he made it 1/10, does it still make it a great shot? I know I could make the shot on a target I should have said. Too many variables in the wild and dealing with animals. Think hard about this before you speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7brent View Post
So what your saying is your capable of makeing that shot but wont .. And this guy did take the shot and made the GREAT shot and the deer never moved and got smoke right in the heart just were every one else aims ... And further more iv heard of people wonding animals with a bow and rifle closer then that ....
Old 05-18-2012, 03:55 AM

Cant please everyone thats just a fact of life THAT WAS A Great shot makes me want to try it maybe someday.
Thanks for shareing
Old 05-18-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Cant please everyone thats just a fact of life THAT WAS A Great shot makes me want to try it maybe someday.
Thanks for shareing
Sure go ahead and try it .. then let us all know how you feel when things go bad . Oh , and don't forget to post the video .
Old 05-18-2012, 06:43 AM

Everyones going to have there opinion on it if he practices a lot and is confident in the shot congrat him, who would you trust more a guy who practises those distances for hours or a yuppie with a rifle who can't shoot and wounds and gut shots everything? Or head shots even but they'll always happen I peronally won't shoot past 60 yards with a bow
Old 05-18-2012, 06:50 AM

Ok just my two cents. Not a shot I would make as I would not be comfortable with it. Hunter's make choices everyday in the field. Personally I do not take low percentage shot's anymore. I took one and did not like the results. Whatever shot you decide to take you have to live with the results. Dead Deer vs Wounded Deer.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:32 AM

It has nothing to do with the amount of time the hunter has put into practicing. Many can punch paper from that distance all day. And it has nothing to do with the lethality of the equipment. Hundreds of years ago, they were making longbows and arrow/broadhead combos that could punch through armor at greater distances than that. And you can't compare it to a rifle, or say that bows are so much faster these days, it has increased the margin on this shot. It is a crappy shot, and shouldn't be taken by any concientious hunter. The reason is, you have absolutely no control over what that animal does in the time it takes you to aim and release the arrow, and how long it takes the arrow to get there, which is a long time. If you are going to bowhunt, take the time to learn to get close to the animal. Otherwise, why not just rifle hunt?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:28 AM

Why is it that the guys I know that could probably make that type of a shot will never take it? They wouldn't even raise their bow's at an animal at 110 yards. And..... the guys that can't will try it?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:28 AM

Sounds like it was a successful shot. We all want to take shots that have a high probablity of a clean kill. That's what "ethical" is, IMHO.

In my mind, they key questionto this issue, and a question none of us here can answer, is: Has this guy practiced and can he consistently make this shot, time after time, or was it a "hope and a prayer" shot? If the former, I'd say it was ethical. If the latter, not ethical. Many guys on this board can make an ethical 400 yard shot at a deer with their rifle. I can't. I've never fired a single practice shot at 400 yards. It would be unethical for ME to take that shot, but perhaps not you.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Banned

perfect timing for an entertaining thread!

LOL Sheephunter on the crossbow comments, i agree 100%, the compound is the more effective and versatile tool by miles, at long range also, compound arrows hold energy longer and further than crossbow arrows...but the versatility of the compound is head and shoulders over the narrow focused single shot use of the crossbow...there is a reason the compound is 100x more popular! its not because of seasons or restrictions...if the crossbow was the bomb its would would be the majority from long ago and the compound would be fighting to get in the game lol...you will hear of more 100-ish yards shots with compounds than crossbows, i know i sure have, when it comes to over 70 yrds i don't hear of much with crossbows at all but plenty of reports from that to the 120 range from compound users over the years now.

Lol archeryman...you shoot 10x at each animal? That cracks me up, can you make the first one count? Cuz thats all that matters, takes a whole different sort of practice than consistantly hitting a little circle on paper over and over...not saying that doesn't help but it sure isn't necessary, if one practices with a focus on hunting competancy rather than competative archery competancy....how many range pro's come apart on game? gun or bow....the disciplines can help each other but you sure as heck don't have to do one to do the other...that guy could practice religiously to 150 yrds on buck targets all year? and 110 was easy for him? who knows...who cares...proof was in the pudding....always somebody better than the next guy.

end of day some guys can and won't take the shot, some guys can and will take the shot, some guys can't and won't take the shot and plenty can't and will lol...its the guys who can and will take the shot that will be the most successful...the limits of what can/will are personal to each guy in each situation, we r not to judge that but yet we still do

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 05-18-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Sounds like it was a successful shot. We all want to take shots that have a high probablity of a clean kill. That's what "ethical" is, IMHO.

In my mind, they key questionto this issue, and a question none of us here can answer, is: Has this guy practiced and can he consistently make this shot, time after time, or was it a "hope and a prayer" shot? If the former, I'd say it was ethical. If the latter, not ethical.
On a live animal that shot will always be a hope and a prayer shot, even if he can make that shot all day long on a target. I don't know why people can't get it through their heads that a live animal is not a stationary target. Lots of variables out of your control on a live animal.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Some things are wrong and iresponsible. That shot is one of them.
Bowhunting is about getting close, not shooting far.
Pete
X2! Probably couldn't move his fat ass any closer!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
perfect timing for an entertaining thread!

LOL Sheephunter on the crossbow comments, i agree 100%, the compound is the more effective and versatile tool by miles, at long range also, compound arrows hold energy longer and further than crossbow arrows...but the versatility of the compound is head and shoulders over the narrow focused single shot use of the crossbow...there is a reason the compound is 100x more popular! its not because of seasons or restrictions...if the crossbow was the bomb its would would be the majority from long ago and the compound would be fighting to get in the game lol...you will hear of more 100-ish yards shots with compounds than crossbows, i know i sure have, when it comes to over 70 yrds i don't hear of much with crossbows at all but plenty of reports from that to the 120 range from compound users over the years now.

Lol archeryman...you shoot 10x at each animal? That cracks me up, can you make the first one count? Cuz thats all that matters, takes a whole different sort of practice than consistantly hitting a little circle on paper over and over...not saying that doesn't help but it sure isn't necessary, if one practices with a focus on hunting competancy rather than competative archery competancy....how many range pro's come apart on game? gun or bow....the disciplines can help each other but you sure as heck don't have to do one to do the other...that guy could practice religiously to 150 yrds on buck targets all year? and 110 was easy for him? who knows...who cares...proof was in the pudding....always somebody better than the next guy.

end of day some guys can and won't take the shot, some guys can and will take the shot, some guys can't and won't take the shot and plenty can't and will lol...its the guys who can and will take the shot that will be the most successful...the limits of what can/will are personal to each guy in each situation, we r not to judge that but yet we still do

Agree
Old 05-18-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Sure go ahead and try it .. then let us all know how you feel when things go bad . Oh , and don't forget to post the video .
No problem i will
Old 05-18-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
The proof is in the pudding, he killed the deer, clean. Envy,oh the envy!
Lol you are so far off i tossed my cookies. I personally have no idea how a guy gets a charge out of long distance shooting of any weapon. In my eyes its lazy. I think youd find few guys are actually impressed by what i classify as stunting. Its a sad and pathetic way of spendingyour time
In the field. Enjoy your shooting....ill enjoy my hunting
Old 05-18-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
No problem i will
I will try it , or I will let you know how I feel when things go bad , or I will post video of all of the above ... LOL .
Old 05-18-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
At what distance does it become hunting then? I know several people that think its irresponsible to shoot at game at 40 yards +, so is it shooting after 40? Who sets the limit?

There are people that think that shooting a rifle past 100 yards isnt 'hunting' and then there are bowhunters that dont think that its 'hunting' unless its under 20 yards....

Hell, some archers even think that its not hunting if you use a rifle at all.

Course fishing with a spin-caster isnt really 'fishing' either right? Only fly fishing counts...the rest is just BS and cheating....

Its pretty ignorant to think that one person can define what 'hunting' is and 'shooting' is for another person. Everyone is a hunter if they hunt. Period.

I guess thats where hunters are funny. Everyone thinks that 'they' are the only ones doing it 'right'. Sure is a good example of how sportsmen like to destroy eachother...the people opposing our sport LOVE it....
Old 05-18-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Lol you are so far off i tossed my cookies. I personally have no idea how a guy gets a charge out of long distance shooting of any weapon. In my eyes its lazy. I think youd find few guys are actually impressed by what i classify as stunting. Its a sad and pathetic way of spendingyour time
Some people call any kind of hunting stunting, and some simply say its inhumane.
there is a level of what is right and wrong in everyone's eyes, but because one person likes something does not give another a right to run them down for it.
Like I stated before, there are some that even think that compound bow hunting is lazy, and that hunting with a modern rifle is lazy.
Your idea of hunting is not all that is right and good on some other hunters' eyes either, that is why we have opinions.
When you start telling someone that their idea is wrong and your's is right,
it quits being a discussion and turns into an argument, which this thread did a very long time ago.

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 05-18-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:39 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Some great quotes here for Michael Platt's next column........
Old 05-18-2012, 05:40 PM

This thread reminds me why we have so many restrictions, including no handgun hunting.

Opinions. Judgements. Insinuations. Personal beliefs pushed on others.

Quite "anti freedom".

The fact is, the guy made the shot. Everything else is BS.

Rich, you were right. Put a bunch of hunters in a room to devise new laws and hunting would be banned.

I find it strange how we continue to jump off the bridge, cut our throats on the way down, then blame others. Lol. Its laughable if it werent so pathetic.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
some great quotes here for michael platt's next column........
yup.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
This thread reminds me why we have so many restrictions, including no handgun hunting.

Opinions. Judgements. Insinuations. Personal beliefs pushed on others.

Quite "anti freedom".

The fact is, the guy made the shot. Everything else is BS.

Rich, you were right. Put a bunch of hunters in a room to devise new laws and hunting would be banned.

I find it strange how we continue to jump off the bridge, cut our throats on the way down, then blame others. Lol. Its laughable if it werent so pathetic.
x2,Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.Sad really.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
x2,Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.Sad really.
Taking shots like that does not really do much for the cause either.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLB View Post
Taking shots like that does not really do much for the cause either.
I know what you mean. I've offended many by telling the truth. Damn shame.