Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2020, 08:41 PM

Default Interesting Summer Job Opportunity

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-bar-food-hos...dge/1489479157

https://nwtfishing.com/
Old 02-27-2020, 05:53 AM

There's lots of these jobs around you just got to know where to look the wife and I did this for 20 years of running Fishing lodges and guiding it was a great experience met lots of great people but the money wasn't very good relied mostly on tips

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
There's lots of these jobs around you just got to know where to look the wife and I did this for 20 years of running Fishing lodges and guiding it was a great experience met lots of great people but the money wasn't very good relied mostly on tips

So what would be a typical tip expectation for a fishing guide for a 6 day trip?

I have run Fire Camp Kitchens in BC for quite a few years, but we were well paid-no tips.Generally 100-1600 man camps on 2-3 days notice.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:48 PM

Right up your alley Omega. It is only a three month stint so it would be worth it just for the experience.
Eight cabins means you might be cooking for 20 to 30 people max. Most likely a well stocked larder as food is a vitally important part of hosting when each angler is paying about 1K canadian a day. People spending that much will probably tip pretty good providing the place is comfortable, food is good and the weather & fish cooperate.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-28-2020, 08:01 AM

Tips are like anyting depends on the service they get the fish they catch usually you got two guys in a boat if you're doing the Six-Day trip pending on the client tell if it's a five-star Lodge and they have good equipment and boats you should easily make a hundred bucks American a day cookwise pending how many waitresses there are you might have to split the tips

Old 02-28-2020, 02:50 PM

You thinking of doing this?
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-28-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
You thinking of doing this?
Nope. Made a commitment in retirement to the dog to walk her everyday

Lived in a Sea-Can for 2 months responsible for feeding the Military up on Cypress and in a Wall Tent for another month in the Callaghan Valley for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics.

Still got a crick in my back.

Just found it of interest in terms of adventure and wished I had done more adventure work earlier in my life.Was hoping it might fit a younger AO member for Summer Work.

Last edited by omega50; 02-28-2020 at 04:05 PM.