Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you support a bike trail from Banff to Jasper
Yes 99 45.62%
No 118 54.38%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2016, 02:17 PM
Banned

I also cross country ski, so I could see more uses than one. I don't mean to sound too pedantic but tourism is good for Alberta and I too hate not even being able to move through the mass of crowds with no where to park, banff is horrible for that. As with everything else evolving to meet population increases so should our national park to accommodate tourism and population growth. I don't think a gas station and Tim's every couple of kilometers would be a good thing, but I feel that the current land scape could be broadened if it weren't for needless restraint that is definitely hurting our tourism industry and local enjoyment.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:05 PM
Banned

To be fair, the gas stations sometimes have great deals on snacks, and Tim Horton's has pretty clean washrooms (although I most assuredly don't purchase donuts there....or anywhere else for that matter)

So far the No side is winning by the thinnest of margarines. Perhaps if you would change the poll to include gas stations and Tim Hortons every 2 km it might sway enough people to get this done. (trust me, after a night of drinking cheap beer, sometimes it's nice to have a nice clean washroom every couple km's of riding)
Old 02-20-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Just what the Bow Valley needs, more brain dead traffic targets wearing the yellow jersey and spandex cutting blood flow to what little brains they possess.
The reason for cyclists wearing bright colors is to be seen. Even the best drivers zone out from time to time and those spandex shorts prevent chafing on long rides, think PPE.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Thousands of people cycling thru parks, Kcountry and bear country on roads, trails and single track every year. Pretty sure more hunters are mauled and killed by Gbears than any other group in AB. So who wins the darwin award?
yup. 2006 I rode my bike past two grizz that were munching grass in the ditch while going up Hwy 40 to the highwood pass. my guess is about 25 other cyclists did the exact same thing that day. And we all lived to tell the tale!

As a side note, I was wearing lycra. Maybe seeing the outline of "big Jim and the twins" was enough to keep em at bay!
Old 02-23-2016, 02:06 PM
Banned

I can't wait until everything dries up as I'm just itching to hit the trails ! Just shy of getting one of those hideous fat bikes so I don't face plant attempting it with my XC
Old 02-23-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I can't wait until everything dries up as I'm just itching to hit the trails ! Just shy of getting one of those hideous fat bikes so I don't face plant attempting it with my XC
Why not just get studded tires for your bike?
I've been riding all winter, almost all trails in WBC/Canmore area are rideable on skinny studs unless it snowed +6" the night before.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Why not just get studded tires for your bike?
I've been riding all winter, almost all trails in WBC/Canmore area are rideable on skinny studs unless it snowed +6" the night before.
I've considered it and I'm thinking I may just rig one of my less expensive bikes so I can ride next winter but it's going to take more than just new tires as both my other two bikes need a little tlc. I know bikes are meant to be rode but I payed over $6000 for my XC and may cry if I bend a rim. nothing against fat bikes, they are just not my style but have yet to test pilot one, I'm sure I can over come looks to function.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I've considered it and I'm thinking I may just rig one of my less expensive bikes so I can ride next winter but it's going to take more than just new tires as both my other two bikes need a little tlc. I know bikes are meant to be rode but I payed over $6000 for my XC and may cry if I bend a rim. nothing against fat bikes, they are just not my style but have yet to test pilot one, I'm sure I can over come looks to function.
I have yet to ride a fattie as well, but I have a day rental available, just need to find a good day. Don't want to waste it on ice, as I can just use my regular bike. Although after getting studded tires on my 29er, I can definitely see the appeal to a fatbike, riding at night mid-winter with the snow falling is awesome.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:00 PM

Great idea if you're talking a dirt trail for mountain bikes, insanely expensive if you're talking a paved roadway designed for most of the loaded road bikes towing trailers I see going down that highway.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Would you support a bike path that ran from Jasper to banff ?

It is a hypothetical thread but I think such a trail system would get a lot of use and get the majority of people on bikes off the highways, also support tourism and make a great holiday. I've considered riding my bike on a day trip through the mountains but I'm rather concerned I may get plucked by a vehicle. I have seen too many close calls, mostly with vehicles but the proper timing could take out some bikers as well.
I have to admit, when I first read your post, I thought to myself "Oh yah, great idea, how much will that cost?" Then the federal budget gets announced, and $65.9 million dollars is earmarked for a new biking and walking trail in Jasper. I have lots of acquaintences involved with the trails in Jasper National Park, and none of them claim to know anything about this new trail. The general concensus is that money would be better off being spent on repairing/maintaining the trail system that we already have.
http://www.fitzhugh.ca/federal-budge...n-jasper-park/
Excuse my suspicion, but did you have some insider knowledge about this new secret trail?
Old 03-26-2016, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
I have to admit, when I first read your post, I thought to myself "Oh yah, great idea, how much will that cost?" Then the federal budget gets announced, and $65.9 million dollars is earmarked for a new biking and walking trail in Jasper. I have lots of acquaintences involved with the trails in Jasper National Park, and none of them claim to know anything about this new trail. The general concensus is that money would be better off being spent on repairing/maintaining the trail system that we already have.
http://www.fitzhugh.ca/federal-budge...n-jasper-park/
Excuse my suspicion, but did you have some insider knowledge about this new secret trail?
No I have no insider information, just a person who loves to be outdoors and would like to see more excess for people to enjoy it a little safer. I've always wanted to do a bike trip through the mountains. Drivers going through the mountains, much like my self tend to try and gaze at the beauty while trying to drive at the same time. This can be dangerous, especially for those on bikes who take the time to really take all scenery in. I know it's a bad on my behalf for looking and it's kind of like texting and driving. Which made me think I'd have to be nuts to ride a bike on the side of the highway through the mountains. By the looks of it people are ten steps ahead of me and my idea was nothing more than a vision or brain storm if you will.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
No I have no insider information, just a person who loves to be outdoors and would like to see more excess for people to enjoy it a little safer. I've always wanted to do a bike trip through the mountains. Drivers going through the mountains, much like my self tend to try and gaze at the beauty while trying to drive at the same time. This can be dangerous, especially for those on bikes who take the time to really take all scenery in. I know it's a bad on my behalf for looking and it's kind of like texting and driving. Which made me think I'd have to be nuts to ride a bike on the side of the highway through the mountains. By the looks of it people are ten steps ahead of me and my idea was nothing more than a vision or brain storm if you will.
Well I couldn't agree more. There is no way that you would catch me riding my bike on that highway. I immediately thought of this thread when I read the news article. I'll wait patiently to find out where this new trail will be.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:39 PM

True dope thinks it's okay to give $650 million of our tax bucks to c.b.c. so why not a bike path?
Old 03-26-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
There you go and way more intrusive than a pipeline, in the long run, which the users would certainly oppose.

Grizz
So there's you answer! Every pipeline should have a paved bike lane next to it! Energy East here we come! it could just follow the Trans-Canada Trail, eh?
Old 02-27-2020, 09:39 AM
Banned

I knocked the dust off my bikes last night and it got me thinking...I should start a trail thread on AO and realized I already have! so I’m bumping this thread for discussion again, man I’m glad I quit drinking and yes I did bend that expensive wheel last summer but I didn’t cry lol.

The Canadian government wastes our money in ways that still surprise even me so why not invest money for something that will actually be of use and will get used by thousands of people all year round. If I recall, the guys were talking about gas stations and strip malls etc. I’d just like to see a simple useable bike trail people can really connect with in this region. I’ve since sold my cross country skis so I can buy more Race Face bike parts but I’d buy another set to ski this trail if it were built.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumtan View Post
If you made it a quad and motorbike trail I would vote for it, but no bikes under 100cc
yup
Old 02-27-2020, 12:38 PM

Crazy kind of cool. Take the Highway 93 trip from your chair ....or plot an adventure.

Go to google maps and go into satellite image mode. Then grab the little guy icon from the lower right corner of the web page and you can drop him anywhere along Hwy 93 that lights up on the map. Then if you want you can travel the whole distance in ground view. So cool. I just went for a trail walk/view of some lake shore of hwy 93.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-27-2020, 12:50 PM

The Trudeau government had announced and earmarked millions for this trail in his first mandate.

They met headwinds from the environmental groups and I believe that the project was quietly scrapped. Shame because it is one of the most beautiful places I have seen.

Quote:
I knocked the dust off my bikes last night and it got me thinking...I should start a trail thread on AO and realized I already have! so I’m bumping this thread for discussion again, man I’m glad I quit drinking and yes I did bend that expensive wheel last summer but I didn’t cry lol.

The Canadian government wastes our money in ways that still surprise even me so why not invest money for something that will actually be of use and will get used by thousands of people all year round. If I recall, the guys were talking about gas stations and strip malls etc. I’d just like to see a simple useable bike trail people can really connect with in this region. I’ve since sold my cross country skis so I can buy more Race Face bike parts but I’d buy another set to ski this trail if it were built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
OK bud, reality check time, Banff recorded 3.6 million visitors last year. Pretty sure you won't have to pay for this bike path.
Yup a bike path like you described would be a world class draw, and as an added benefit it would be an amazing cross country ski draw. Could you imagine a 300 km track set !!!!! An attraction like that would bring in a lot of $$$$.
I rode the kettle valley railway back in the 1990's from Hope to Castlegar before it was a popular destination. It's now a world wide draw with as many Europeans and Americans as there are Canadians. All those tourists leave more than a few $$$ behind when they leave.
Great idea !
Old 02-27-2020, 06:32 PM

I think its a great idea

Money could come from our foreign aid policy.

Id totally support that. A two lane bike path, washrooms, water stops...im all for it
Old 02-27-2020, 06:42 PM

If the state of the economy was better I would support a trail. At this time no way the money could be used for better things. Too much of our tax dollars are being squandered by Trudeau
Old 02-27-2020, 06:48 PM

Great idea.
As for those with all the stupid grizzly comments, do you think there are no cyclists in the national parks now?
Old 02-27-2020, 07:57 PM

I cycled that trek in high school. My teacher there took his class on that cycle trip every year for 25 years. It is an amazing way to see the mountains and I would highly recommend it. I had been on that trip with various vehicles about 10 times before then but saw everything in a whole different way on bicycle. It is a serious ride though and we trained for it for a while (plus I was in much better shape then). You also need to have the right support and logistics sorted out as was already mentioned due to the lack of stops and facilities along the way. I personally didn't have much of a concern with the cars while riding along the side of the highway. The larger risk was coming around a corner and having a bunch of wildlife on the road and all the vehicles that had only half pulled over to watch them. These areas were always the dangerous spots. Overall, with almost 30 of us riding for 5 days, we never had any issues or even close calls. A designated trail would make the experience more enjoyable though. In addition to attracting more tourism, I think there would also be great job opportunities for outfitters to provide the additional logistic support along the way. Ever since that trip in high school I've wanted to go back and do it again. If they actually build a trial, I may just have to get back in shape and give it a try.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
And a thread like this is somewhat of a generational thing reflection on the demographics of people here.

Many would rather grow their own tobacco and smoke their lungs out than acknowledge the fact that there are people out there, of all ages and socioeconomic levels, that lead a healthy active lifestyles and enjoy and pursue outdoor activities.

A previous poster said "NA needs to catch up to the rest of the world on this issue".

Some attitudes here suggest Alberta needs to catch up with the rest of NA.
LOL...Yes it might be a generational thing. Since I retired this year I end up spending a lot of time on a local ski hill. Funny thing is I'm 55, but end up sharing the chair with a lot of guys (and girls) that are older than me (many are better skiers !!). I also have a decommissioned rail line below my house that runs for 50 kms. They've cleared it and really put it out there as an attraction and it's seeing a TON of use. Locals, tourists, walkers, and lots of bikers. Yes many of them are even older than me. There was some bitching and whining about spending a few bucks on the trail initially but now everyone talks about how great it is. That old saying from Field of Dreams, "If you build it , they will come" is frequently very true.....even some old farts may show up
Old 02-28-2020, 08:23 AM

I did half of that in high school. From hwy 11 to Jasper. we had support vehicles that would pick up stragglers and try to keep the group close.
It was a bit nerve wracking with cars and trucks on the hwy, lots of loose crap on the shoulder etc. A path would get the bikes off the road, extra facilities and camp spots maybe could be added. Not everyone would be able to do that in a day, or even 2. it was quite a way to see the mountains.
Back then I had to take my bike up the hills, now my path is hwy 93 and my bike takes me up the hills!
Old 02-28-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
If the state of the economy was better I would support a trail. At this time no way the money could be used for better things. Too much of our tax dollars are being squandered by Trudeau
Yah. But most of those federal dollars are being spent in other provinces. This would be lots of federal dollars being spent in Alberta with all the benefits left in Alberta. Usually that sort of thing is reserved for Quebec.....
Old 02-28-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvDr2Mtgjd4

Actually an approved trail something like this would be great from Banff to Jasper.
haha, ya, not happening
Old 02-28-2020, 03:24 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=dave99;4117794]The Trudeau government had announced and earmarked millions for this trail in his first mandate.

They met headwinds from the environmental groups and I believe that the project was quietly scrapped. Shame because it is one of the most beautiful places I have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I do recall hearing about this now that you said it. I really don’t think it would have that much of an environmental impact but what do I know. The environmentalists whine about everything but yet have no problem jumping in their vehicles and driving home to their heated homes. Funny but yet very sad.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=^v^Tinda wolf^v^;4118311]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
The Trudeau government had announced and earmarked millions for this trail in his first mandate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I do recall hearing about this now that you said it. I really don’t think it would have that much of an environmental impact but what do I know. The environmentalists whine about everything but yet have no problem jumping in their vehicles and driving home to their heated homes. Funny but yet very sad.
Are these the same “environmentalists “ that light tire fires on cn rail lines to protest lng pipelines I wonder?
Old 02-28-2020, 05:28 PM
Banned

I’m not sure how I missed this news but I did.
The article below does make some good points that I never did consider but it still doesn’t mean the trail shouldn’t be built. The bats can use the next tree over and the caribou and bears will thrive with more capital to protect them. If anything this trail would help in the distribution of fighting a forest fire. If the fire risks are high they can close it like they would anywhere else.

I still say yes of anything for the fact that people already use the extremely dangerous shoulder. I always ride so I can see traffic coming towards me and it’s not often I see others do it. At least I can see my demise coming or time to react as best possible, anyways

https://globalnews.ca/news/4880310/p...trail-alberta/