Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2020, 08:35 AM

Default Baby Monitors

Wife and I are expecting our first child in april so we are looking at baby monitors. What are some that would be recommended? I work away, so are there any that I can log into an app on my phone and see when Im gone away for work and any that you can also use when there is no cell/wifi, ie when we are camping? As a plus are there any that do all of that AND have two way communication?
Old 02-11-2020, 08:52 AM

I had the motorola baby monitor... It worked great for our needs... there are various levels and costs depending on what exactly you need/want.

https://www.motorolastore.com/motoro...53connect.html

The one we had came with a camera/monitor screen and then you can login on wifi through your phone as well.

Good luck!!!
Old 02-11-2020, 09:00 AM

This is the one we had and it was a God-send.
Couldn't get any sleep without it.
Know someone that lost a young child during an afternoon nap.
Brand is irrelevant, its the best $150 you'll spend. I guarantee it.

Angelcare 3-in-1 AC327 Baby Monitor, with Breathing Movements Tracking, 4.3'' Video & Sound https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07RGLNKSV/..._O7SqEbPCSHMXV
Old 02-11-2020, 09:12 AM

We have a basic sound monitor that we use sometimes and we bought the Wyze cam on Amazon, it's cheap. It can be used as a security camera after as well. I would recommend that one for sure. You can log into it from your phone.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
This is the one we had and it was a God-send.
Couldn't get any sleep without it.
Know someone that lost a young child during an afternoon nap.
Brand is irrelevant, its the best $150 you'll spend. I guarantee it.

Angelcare 3-in-1 AC327 Baby Monitor, with Breathing Movements Tracking, 4.3'' Video & Sound https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07RGLNKSV/..._O7SqEbPCSHMXV
We had similar to that one as well but a different model. It may give you a heart attack when your wife picks up the baby to feed it and forgets to pause the monitor! Monitors are great for the first little while but I also think they are the worst thing possible when it comes to sleep training a baby. You hear every single noise and can get a bit paranoid. You will catch yourself just watching your baby sleep on it. Really cool to do from far away when you can't be there in person.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:26 AM

Watching with interest.Another grandchild due late April and we are tasked with buying a monitor for the Baby Shower in March,
Congrats to OP and wife.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
We had similar to that one as well but a different model. It may give you a heart attack when your wife picks up the baby to feed it and forgets to pause the monitor! Monitors are great for the first little while but I also think they are the worst thing possible when it comes to sleep training a baby. You hear every single noise and can get a bit paranoid. You will catch yourself just watching your baby sleep on it. Really cool to do from far away when you can't be there in person.
Another vote for the Angel Care. Peace of mind for new / exhausted parents.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:12 AM

First of all, congrats to you both. Having children is the most selfless thing you can do. My kids are (almost) 5 and 3 years old, and I love them more every day.

In terms of baby monitors, we used a camera system to be able to watch and hear them. We chose against vitals monitoring, since my wife and I concluded that it would probably induce too much anxiety on our end. I think some people do great with them in terms of dispelling worry, but I have seen others who were far more anxious with the vitals monitor than before they purchased it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2020, 10:44 AM

If you have an old iphone kicking around you can turn it into a monitor using an app. No idea how well it would work but was told it is possible.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:00 AM

We use the Motorola units with good success. Never bothered with the phone app.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:10 AM

Had a WiFi connected camera with 2 way comm and panning for my first and one day the wife was breastfeeding the kid before bed with the camera on and observed it pan to look directly at her. After she asked if I was messing around with it which I was not. Creep'd us out thinking some freak on the other end picked up the feed, worse they could potentially speak to your child at night using the comm function.

That unit was promptly sold and we now have a non WiFi short range transmission only for newest addition. Still has 2 way comm which is useless really, but if you're not right outside the house using some kind of signal decoder you're not picking it up.

Link below, on the plus side it's pretty cheap and will be all you really need.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dragon-Touch-m...1444420&sr=8-4
Old 02-11-2020, 04:22 PM

Ours is the Motorola comfort. The video gives good picture in the dark. You can turn the screen off and just use sound. It has a row of lights that show how loud a sound is. It has 2 way radio transmitter so you can talk. Which is great when kids are older. (Suppers ready, go to bed etc..) has 1000 ft range. Which is good. When we're camping and the little one is sleeping we can be collecting wood and still see him, I put the screen in my breast pocket. You can even turn on pre loaded music from the screen which plays through the camera. Ours has 1 camera but you can add more. I think we paid around $100 on sale at toys r us.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:51 AM

We had a Lenovo I think it was called with our first boy. It worked great until 2 years later when our second came along. The battery wouldn稚 hold a charge and the picture was getting bad.
After that we picked up an Apple ibaby one so my wife could look in on him sleeping while she was away. But the lag was so bad we returned it.
We then bought a V-tech set with two cameras. We are still using that one with our 3rd boy 3 years after we bought it. It even tells us the temperature of the room.
We are happy with it.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:09 AM

We have a Motorola hubble one and love it, basically the cheapest one with with all the features we wanted. A single camera (with night vision) with 2 way talk, built in lullabys/music, pic/video recording, works on cell phones/wifi with the phone app, but also has it's own video unit that will work on its own a very good distance that we take camping and works like 3 sites over before signal started to even drop out a bit.

Also has temperature/motion/sound alert settings, but never really used those, we were very lucky to have a good sleeper!!

https://www.motorola.com/us/products...p668connect-35

The more expensive ones have higher resolution video and a movable camera, but didn't feel like like extra cost was worth it.

Very impressed with what we got for like $150 bucks. We never watched it compulsively, but so handy to be able to go outside and keep tabs during nap time, but even now that the kid is nearing 2 years old to have a quick look to see if they are getting to sleep on their own at night or sitting up playing with toys and messing around

Last edited by ren008; 02-13-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:38 PM

We use the Angel Care brand with the breathing monitor. I'm not sure if they have a model that will do everything you are looking for, but we are certainly happy with the quality of the product.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:14 AM
Banned

OMG.. Let the kid be.. No monitors, no cameras.. Just let him /her grow.... Kid will be fine, you guys have so much more to worry about than that.

You guys go running every time that kid squeaks, you will have a mamas boy for life who happens to know he has you wrapped around his finger.

Let him cry, he will live. Kids lived for millions of years with out monitors....
Old 02-14-2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
OMG.. Let the kid be.. No monitors, no cameras.. Just let him /her grow.... Kid will be fine, you guys have so much more to worry about than that.

You guys go running every time that kid squeaks, you will have a mamas boy for life who happens to know he has you wrapped around his finger.

Let him cry, he will live. Kids lived for millions of years with out monitors....

You know, with a monitor they could check to see if the kid is fussing or if something is wrong without running in, and make an informed decision.

One example, my daughter somehow got her upside down with her head caught between the bed and guard. A quick check of the monitor and it was clear she needed help. Should I have just let her cry it out without checking? She could have choked, suffered brain damage, or worse if she was left long enough. I知 glad we had the baby monitor that day.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher10 View Post
You know, with a monitor they could check to see if the kid is fussing or if something is wrong without running in, and make an informed decision.

One example, my daughter somehow got her upside down with her head caught between the bed and guard. A quick check of the monitor and it was clear she needed help. Should I have just let her cry it out without checking? She could have choked, suffered brain damage, or worse if she was left long enough. I知 glad we had the baby monitor that day.

How did you make it through? How about your Parents? Get a better crib... Learn the difference between the crys... I am so sick of the molly coddling. Quit relying on tech and figure this stuff out yourself.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
How did you make it through? How about your Parents? Get a better crib... Learn the difference between the crys... I am so sick of the molly coddling. Quit relying on tech and figure this stuff out yourself.

Don稚 worry about me, I知 just fine. I知 sorry technology has had such a negative affect on your outlook of life.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher10 View Post
Don稚 worry about me, I知 just fine. I知 sorry technology has had such a negative affect on your outlook of life.

Its not mine.. Its what we are doing to kids today...
Old 02-14-2020, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Its not a baby moniter thats a problem. Its cellphones and tv without commercials. Everything on demand and its not just a problem for the youth. Parents too.

We had a moniter and liked it. Wife could keep tabs while not having to go in or spy to take a peak. More time for cleaning or being on other tech.

I personally am excited for when I dont need to carry a cell phone anymore when I retire.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Have you ever heard of a little thing called SIDS???
If you could prevent it from ever happening to one of your children, wouldn't you?
I could care less about the camera option or the speaker..... if they're crying, they're alive. Only wanted the vitals monitor.
Anyone who would say that having such a device is pointless has never lost, or known anyone to have lost a child to SIDS.

OP, I highly recommend getting one.
Turn the camera off and turn the volume off if you like, but use the pad. ALL the time. Especially naps.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:19 PM

^
We had a preemie and were debating about the respiration and an o2 sat monitors when we brought him home. General consensus from nicu nurses, pediatricians and other parents who had been through it was that the accuracy of the retail oximeters available was poor and more often than not caused false alarms. I've even observed the limitations of hospital grade equipment on squirmy babies seeing false desats and brads.

We elected to go without and at some point you have to accept that certain things are outside of your control. Scary as SIDS may be, I think we made the right choice. That said, we still have a monitor as it's useful for a whole variety of circumstances.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Have you ever heard of a little thing called SIDS???
If you could prevent it from ever happening to one of your children, wouldn't you?
I could care less about the camera option or the speaker..... if they're crying, they're alive. Only wanted the vitals monitor.
Anyone who would say that having such a device is pointless has never lost, or known anyone to have lost a child to SIDS.

OP, I highly recommend getting one.
Turn the camera off and turn the volume off if you like, but use the pad. ALL the time. Especially naps.
We had the breathing one. When you read about it though, I don't think it actually does anything to prevent SIDS. Sounds like the organs shut down prior to movement so it is too late. With that said, we had one for piece of mind. If you get one, make sure to keep the cord away so your baby cannot get tangled in it!