Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 07:33 AM

Default Stupid ways to kill your phone

My phone went missing Wednesday night and I searched almost everywhere since then.

But I just found it.

When I unloaded the dishwasher

And in my tired wisdom decided to hit the power button to see what would happen.

First battery fire

Phone is still smouldering in a snowbank off the back steps and the house has a delicious burnt electrical smell.

Best Friday ever!!!

How did you kill your phone?
Old 03-23-2018, 07:41 AM

Ok I have to ask... how did you manage to put it in the dishwasher? Drunk? Super tired? Or just a total brain fart?
Old 03-23-2018, 07:46 AM

One fell in the lake while unloading the boat another fell out of my shirt pocket landing on sidewalk where I stepped on it all in one motion.

Favourite stupid cell phone story
A friends kid signed up for the big deal then decided he couldn't afford it, the plan is wreck the phone and tell the phone company he no longer needs the service because he doesn't have a phone. The kid put the phone under a tire and ran over it then took it to show the phone company.
"Gee that's too bad want buy another one"
Ended up on the hook with no phone
Old 03-23-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
Ok I have to ask... how did you manage to put it in the dishwasher? Drunk? Super tired? Or just a total brain fart?
Top rack has been not cleaning well lately as though water was restricted coming up to the upper spray arm as the arm did not spin normally. So I guess my phone was in my shirt pocket the other night when I bent over to reach under the top rack to remove the spray arm to check for obstructions.

Found the phone under a big bowl on the bottom rack

And in fairness to your question-the possibility exists that I was drunk, super tired and had a brain fart
Old 03-23-2018, 07:49 AM

Snapped a flip phone in half after a bad conversation.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:53 AM

diagnosing the leak in my water softner with the flash light. Dam thing flew out of my hand like a bar of soap and straight into the salt tank... Salk and electronics love each other... Apple gave me a new one for free anyway.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:54 AM

I very boringly keep my phones for years and my previously retired one, a Samsung S3, is sitting in my bedroom with a dead battery, but other than that, very operational.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:55 AM

I had one that to this day is in someones basement floor. Used to do a lot of concrete work and dropped my phone while we were pouring a basement floor. By the time I realized it was gone the concrete was well on its way to setting up and there was no chance of going in to find it. Or there was my one and only iPhone, I put it on a stump paced out a hundred yards and put a 140 grain .270 slug through it, I had turned on the video camera but there wasn't enough left to retrieve it. Yes I had become fairly fed up and frustrated with Apple.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:56 AM

Found one of mine in the washing machine. Another fell in the toilet. Not sure how the heck I did it but it was a crappy situation.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Top rack has been not cleaning well lately as though water was restricted coming up to the upper spray arm as the arm did not spin normally. So I guess my phone was in my shirt pocket the other night when I bent over to reach under the top rack to remove the spray arm to check for obstructions.

Found the phone under a big bowl on the bottom rack

And in fairness to your question-the possibility exists that I was drunk, super tired and had a brain fart
Fair enough. I just had to ask.

I typically keep my phone for years. The one and only time I messed one up was when I once didn’t check my jeans pocket and ended up putting the phone in the washing machine.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:01 AM

Never use the top a truck tire as a convenient within reach place to store your phone when working underneath your truck. It'll be barely recognizable when you get back from the test drive.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:11 AM

There are literally thousands of cell phones at the bottom of North American lakes. Using your phone while ice fishing is a big one.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:14 AM

For me it would probably not be an accident.

The other day Apple or icloud or someone sent me a message saying I had to enhance the security on my cloud account and program another additional pass code. Mid way through the procedure I somehow screwed my pass code and changed it so many times that I started to have thoughts of my phone coming in contact with a sledge hammer.

It eventually worked out but I think I should hire a 14 year old to help me next time.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:26 AM

My favorite phone story:

2 friends go to a bar. One of them tries to pick up a girl there, she says she has to leave and would like to meet them later, but doesn't have a phone to contact them later. Friend A gives Friend B's cellphone to the girl and says "take this phone and I will call you on it later".

Towards the end of the night, Friend A phones the number, the phone is off. Same result over the next several days.. Friend A doesn't get the girl, Friend B loses his phone lol.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:32 AM

I remember when I decided to drop Bell as my service provider, I was working a blasting site so I dropped the flip phone down a blasting hole. I would guess 20-30 pounds of ANFO later the phone was no more. I intentionally dropped one off a scissor lift then ran it over when I left Roger's.
Unintentionally there is one phone at the bottom of pigeon lake and another went through the washing machine.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-23-2018, 08:33 AM

A bit of possible advice to some of you guy's. My wife dropped her's in the toilet. She fished it out, rinsed it off, Wiped it down. Threw in in a bowl of rice for a week or so, been working ever since. that was about 10 month's ago that it went swimming.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
A bit of possible advice to some of you guy's. My wife dropped her's in the toilet. She fished it out, rinsed it off, Wiped it down. Threw in in a bowl of rice for a week or so, been working ever since. that was about 10 month's ago that it went swimming.
Just to be clear, that is uncooked rice.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:58 AM

Geeze, my life must be boring, or I'm good with my stuff. I still have a BB Bold here in my drawer at the office that works like the first day I turned it on. We upgraded the whole family and got new phones all around about 4 years ago. All Note 3's, all working to this day.
I do know a buddy of mine that lost one on a sled ride 2 winters ago helping me get unstuck. We still stop and look for it when we go to the same spot in the summer. Haven't found it yet.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:07 AM

The one and only cell phone I ever lost was a Nokia flip phone. Bump, flush, whoosh!! Phone is resting comfortably in the North Sask river.

Hubby lost one to a campfire. Bent over to stir up the fire and put a stick on and realized 5 mins later his phone was gone. We fished it out of the fire but.....The apple store guy said it was going on the wall of shame. LOL

Buddy of ours has fed not one, but 3 phones to the fishes at Moose Lake. Some people never learn
Old 03-23-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
5 second rule

However my phone enjoyed a 3 1/2 hour Powerblast Cycle in the dishwasher on high heat Sanitize.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:27 AM
Banned

I don't recall any of my BlackBerrys having issues that required replacement.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:42 AM

One flip phone (brand new) is at the bottom of Carson Lake.
One BB ran over

Both were work phones. When i brought my BB phone to work the guy that looked after our phones, took it stared at me for a few seconds, then turned and walk away shaking his head.

And when did it become not cool to have a belt clip for your phone.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:09 AM

Mowing grass on the riding mower last summer wearing a pair of shorts with shallow pockets. Bouncing along and my phone slid out of my pocket and the mower had it for a snack... Picked up the dozens of pieces, put in a Ziploc and took it to Telus. They said they have heard of many stories but mine was the first that a lawnmower has ate. It now sits in the display case in Bow Valley Square, promoting their equivalent of Apple Care...
Old 03-23-2018, 10:13 AM

Not me but a fishing buddy. He is a chronic phone user and we are in the drift boat on the Bow. Going past Bankside there is a channel left, then have to cross a shallow riffle. Rower yells "sit down" and I do, buddy is too engrossed in meaningless conversation and goes overboard when the boat scrapes and spins in the shallows. Drops the phone, and never to be seen again.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:40 AM

Changing the oil. It's a diesel. Phone slips out of my pocket into the pan, oil behind the screen.

11' up a ladder. Ring, ring, fumble. Found all the pieces.

Fishing on the canoe. Ring, ring fumble. It sleeps with the fishes.

I got a sonim xp7 a couple years back. Haven't been able to kill it yet. :-)
Old 03-23-2018, 10:51 AM

When I was 19 I was breaking phones all the time. Went into local phone store and asked for their most durable tough phone. They hooked me up with the most "indestructible" phone they had. Military tough.

The next day I had it on my lap, stopped at an approach to have a pee. Got in truck and drove away. Couldn't find my phone. I went back to the approach and found it in two pieces. Took it back to the phone store, same lady at the counter.
I said to her "I though you said this was tough! I opened it and this happened"
I showed her the pieces and she was shocked, then I told her what happened and she had a good laugh. Then gave me a deal on a new one.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:11 AM
Banned

Phone stays in truck while fishing.

other than that...I've dropped them more times than I can count.
Never broke any.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:23 AM

My better half has left a trail of phone destruction over the years. She's taken a couple phones for a swim in the toilet bowl and donated one to the Goat Creek ski trail somewhere between Ha Ling and Banff Springs hotel. The funniest one is a phone she thought she had lost for over a year was found by the school custodian in a lunch bag in the staff room fridge. Charged it up and away it went!

Since then, I've learned that Otter Box heavy duty cases and the "find my phone" app need to be mandatory with her phones. Good thing she's cute....
Old 03-23-2018, 11:44 AM

The best one I had was it was in my front pocket hunting, son shot moose had it down 1/2 hour by the time I got thier. Walked up to it saying nice job. It kicked and got my phone in pocket. Apple replaced it free was only 2 days old. They never saw that much damage. Lesson learned never trust it when someone says it’s down
Old 03-23-2018, 01:59 PM

I jumped off a water taxi in Cabo and a wave hit me in the ass
Phone in back pocket