Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 08:51 AM

Default Tobin lake

Hey fella's, I'll be headed to Tobin lake for the second week of June and would like to ask if anyone has any experience there catching the walleye and what techniques etc. Worked best for them. I posted a similar thread last year when I headed there for my first time and did get some solid advice from a few members. I was there with my cousin and will be again this year. We found the fishing pretty slow overall last season. Did manage a couple very decent eyes but on the whole it was slow compared to some other lakes. We were there in July last year so Im hoping earlier in the season the feed will be on a bit more. Last year we mainly jig fished as bottom bouncing at the right speed was difficult with the large motor on the rental boat we had and no trolling motor. We did have some success when it was windy and we drift fished off the bottom. Any tips or advice or clues would be much appreciated. Cheers!
Old 03-23-2018, 12:25 PM

Look for sunken log piles if you have a sonar unit.

lindy rig with a floating jig head and a leech while searching for structure.

Vertically jig a minnow or a leech on a lead jig once you identify structure.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. Thats pretty much in line with what we did last year. Didn't troll many cranks but a group of guys from Minnesota we met caught a 13 lber doing that. Not sure what the trick is for this lake,
Old 03-23-2018, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
Hey fella's, I'll be headed to Tobin lake for the second week of June and would like to ask if anyone has any experience there catching the walleye and what techniques etc. Worked best for them. I posted a similar thread last year when I headed there for my first time and did get some solid advice from a few members. I was there with my cousin and will be again this year. We found the fishing pretty slow overall last season. Did manage a couple very decent eyes but on the whole it was slow compared to some other lakes. We were there in July last year so Im hoping earlier in the season the feed will be on a bit more. Last year we mainly jig fished as bottom bouncing at the right speed was difficult with the large motor on the rental boat we had and no trolling motor. We did have some success when it was windy and we drift fished off the bottom. Any tips or advice or clues would be much appreciated. Cheers!
I have been using bottom bouncers since about 1990 as well as all the other popular presentations for Walleye and IMO there is not another presentation that comes close to as successful as a bouncer rig. For covering water while fishing different depths they can not be beat.

If you can backtroll and get down around the 1-1.3mph range you will catch fish. A portable sonar and a trolling motor can increase your success probably ten times. Tobin is a fantastic walleye fishery but you may need to invest a few more bucks in equipment (or borrow some) to realize its full potential. Good Luck on your trip!
Old 03-23-2018, 02:08 PM

Are you fishing the river, lake, or the channel through the lake?
Old 03-23-2018, 02:10 PM

After talking to the locals, I’m gonna give coddette a go this year.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Are you fishing the river, lake, or the channel through the lake?
We will fish the whole shebang if weather permits. Last year we stuck to the channel and river mainly. Made it over to the mouth of the big lake a couple times but not too deep into it. I love jigging but didn't seem to be too productive last year at all.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:27 PM

If you troll cranks don't use your expensive ones haha!!

The lake has a lot of sunken structure and timber, be prepared to lose some cranks if that's your weapon of choice.

Maybe try a suspending or floating rapala behind a bottom bouncer? That will keep you up off bottom just enough to avoid snags for the most part.

Maybe pull one rig with the rapala and one rig with a gold spinner tipped with leech.

It seems like every year I hear Leeches are the ticket for bait. More than minnows it seems.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
After talking to the locals, I’m gonna give coddette a go this year.
This is your best Tobin tip.....
Old 03-24-2018, 09:02 AM

In June we have caught most walleyes bottom bouncing along the river channel edges. In July we have done much better on flats near deeper water but be prepared to lose a few rigs there as the bottom has quite a bit of remaining timber. We will be at Tobin Lake resort at the beginning of June so stop by if you like.