Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-07-2009, 04:06 PM

Default Back from SA

Just got back from South Africa. When you talk to people who have been there they always say there going to go back well me too. Its a beautiful place, so much to see, in fact to much to see in 1 trip. We spent 3 days in Kruger Natioal Park and I think it was my favorite part of the trip. There are so many animals, we saw the dangerous 7, and countless other animals, birds, even saw 2 black mamba's(there suppose to be hibernating right now). Went hunting in the Limpopo Province, shot a Kudu. WaterBuck, Impala, Gemsbok, Warhog, and a Zebra. Took my bow with me but the animals weren't coming in to the water holes so everything was a gun kill. Getting use to the fenced hunting was a little tough, but thats how they hunt there even people from South Africa hunt on the game farms and they pay the same fees as we do. Theres still some open hunting to be done there but not much. Were pretty lucky we can hunt as cheaply as we do. Spent the last few days in Johanessberg, went to a cheeta/wild dogs rehab center, origins center, flea markets(stuff is soooo cheap), and of course we had to go see the botanical gardens(this was my favorite Ha Ha Ha!). But bar none the best part of the trip was the 30 hours of flying!!!! The seats were so comfy, the food was spectacular my only wish is if we could have spent more time on them Will get some pics for you guys soon.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:30 PM

Default South Africa

Sounds like you had awesome time. I wish I could go, maybe some day when i win the lottery or my wife says its ok to go lol.. Which Outfitter did you hunt with? Price? if you do'nt mind. How many days was just the hunting part of your trip. Look forward to seeing some pics...
Old 07-07-2009, 04:55 PM

Sounds like a great trip
Old 07-07-2009, 06:18 PM

Wow sounds like a great trip! Make sure you post them pictures. Whats the dangerous 7? IVe only heard of the big 5.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:29 PM

its a good time inst it!
what part of limpopo?
i was near the crocadile river last year.
gemsbok are wickedly cool!
so much to see so little time

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 07-07-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Whats the dangerous 7? IVe only heard of the big 5.
leopard is sometimes called one
and the ex-wife is the other...funny she would be in africa thou?!?

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31

Last edited by roger; 07-07-2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: toned it down
Old 07-07-2009, 06:39 PM

My ex girlfriend is from Jo-Berg and showed me a ton of pics of the country. Beautiful place. Don't make the ladies angry though!

(Happily married now to another woman)
Old 07-07-2009, 09:07 PM

I was just there now for a visit in April.
Nice to visit but hard to make a living there.
I grew up in Limpopo (N-Transvaal as we still call it)
Going back in a year or two I hope.
If the airlines dont get stupid and end up charging 2400$again like they did a few years ago
Old 07-07-2009, 10:10 PM

Where you hunting with Aldrie??

AL
Old 07-08-2009, 03:38 PM

What I really like about those looong flights is the fact that you can usually get drunk twice, sometimes even 3 times !
Old 07-08-2009, 04:13 PM

Dangerous 7 is the big 5 plus croc. and hippo. We were hunting in the limpopo province with an outfit called Adansonia Safaris. Cannot say enough good things about them. Mof arranged our trip to kruger and all the side trips in Joberg, even exchanged some money for us. Its tough to pick an outfit to go with because Canada doesn't have the market like the U.S., We found out about Mof through a friend of a friend, who had bough a trip through the SCI supper in Edmonton. Contacted a few references which all were from Alberta, everyone had nothing but good things to say. Mof also gave us a deal on daily rates and knocked 10% off all trophy fees, even after a couple guys had to back out. Cost for the whole trip including flight and 3 days in Kruger accomidations, trophy fees, tips was about $12000. Comp. in the shop will get photos up soon. Also got a great contac for hunting in botswana and mozimbiqe(I'm sure I spelled that wrong). Daily rates are more there but trophy fees are cheaper.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:01 PM

Default Btk

OK big shot, im sick of hearing about your great trip and all the book animals you had feeding out of your hand. Just because you get to frolic around the world while the rest of us are at home busting our *#%.
Sorry buddy, i was just talkin trash. Im green with envy. See you Friday and we'll get ready for your stag on Sat. Better kiss that girl of yours causs you may not see her for awhile!