Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2020, 09:46 AM

Arrow Charitable Organization Garden Project: Invitation to Help

Hi everyone!

This is an invitation to anyone interested to help develop a garden plot for a Christian not-for-profit organization in Turner Valley.

Several weeks ago I proposed the garden idea to my friends at Youth With A Mission (YWAM) Turner Valley. The purpose of the garden is to not only directly support the everyday campus operations, but with the hope that it soon grow to producing abundance to give to the broader community in need. This garden plot investment creates an ongoing, sustainable resource that increases their self-sufficiency and additionally directly benefits YWAM's A Frozen Meal or Two ministry, which supports Foothills residents in crisis situations by cooking and delivering free, healthy, home-cooked frozen meals (and in recent weeks reaching out even more to surrounding communities to provide meals, assistance getting groceries and mail, and more).

https://www.okotokstoday.ca/wheels-w...d-food-1537254

This year's total goal is $5,000 - of which I believe we have about $800 - which will be used to build an initial 5 raised beds, purchase garden soil, and install perimeter fencing to keep the many resident deer from munching on the produce! Also if you have a skid steer or other equipment and would like to donate your services to drill holes for fence posts that would be a big help!

It's a small start, but we've already built the 5 small, simple raised beds and had 5 yards of soil delivered Friday, so that we don't miss this years growing season.

If the $5,000 goal is exceeded - to see as much as $15,000 would be amazing! - those funds will be used to further develop the garden by adding additional raised beds and soil, fruit trees and shrubs, and items such as mulch and possibly hail netting.

Donations above $20 are eligible for a tax receipt, which are mailed out early next year. Those donating services may also be eligible for a tax receipt, but please contact YWAM Turner Valley directly for more information.

Below are several concept images I designed for what the project in its full potential could become. The garden won't develop to this extent this year, but rather, if resources are available, being developed over several years.

Thank you to everyone who is interested in partnering to accomplish this project!

For more information about the garden project, please contact Riley Wall of YWAM Turner Valley at 403-933-3755 or by email at: info@ywamturnervalley.org.

To inquire about or make a donation, you can email at accounts@ywamturnervalley.org or visit the website at http://ywamturnervalley.org/donations/

Youth With A Mission*Turner Valley
1205 Okalta Road
Turner Valley, AB
Canada
T0L 2A0
403-933-3755
http://ywamturnervalley.org/about/
info@ywamturnervalley.org

Oh, if they're curious about how you know of the garden project, you can mention Sean D shared it with you. I don't benefit from this in any way; I've already donated my personal money and time to the project. I'm simply inviting further help for a not-for-profit organization that I value and that depends entirely upon generous individuals to support them. If resources become available, I'll be there again helping to build the permanent fencing and gate. Other than drilling holes for fencing, this project will be built and developed by volunteer labour from myself and individuals of YWAM.

Again, thank you to everyone who in interested in helping!

Sean

The location for the garden

Riley attending the soil delivery

Concept A, front view

Concept A, alternate view

Idea for gate

Concept B

Concept C
Old 05-24-2020, 10:32 AM

Don't mean to be critical but if your serious about growing food to feed the needy you need to grow a traditional vegetable garden. What I see in your plans or renderings is a very expensive decorative urban type designer show garden. I see a huge amount of wasted space devoted to aesthetics and eye appeal as opposed to growing food. Benches, walkways are wasting 2/3's of your ground. You don't need expensive high maintenance fancy stuff to feed the needy.

Put a fence around the field to help keep the critters out, till the whole thing seed/plant it with whatever and grow some food.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Don't mean to be critical but if your serious about growing food to feed the needy you need to grow a traditional vegetable garden. What I see in your plans or renderings is a very expensive decorative urban type designer show garden. I see a huge amount of wasted space devoted to aesthetics and eye appeal as opposed to growing food. Benches, walkways are wasting 2/3's of your ground. You don't need expensive high maintenance fancy stuff to feed the needy.

Put a fence around the field to help keep the critters out, till the whole thing seed/plant it with whatever and grow some food.
Part of the problem is that the native soil quality on the property is poor. Very rocky and not a lot of soil depth. Hence the raised beds and additional soil. Those are just concept drawings of a fenced area with raised beds. 4ft wide by however long they need to be.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post

X2, Way too much infrastructure to supply a basic need. A lot of charities operate this way unfortunately. What you need is apiece of a farmer's field and there are many who would be willing to donate that.

Grizz