Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-21-2020, 02:18 PM

Default Loading Components and Guns are a Good Investment

Luckily my wife has never cared what I spend on hunting gear, components, shooting etc. For those of you that do get a hard time I though you might find this useful

When I lived in Calgary I shot a lot of gophers. Easily 20,000 rounds a year. About half of that was centerfire 17 or 22 caliber so for that reason I kept a very large supply of 17 and 22 caliber projectiles and loaded bulk with a Dillon 550. The last really big order was made in 2011 and in 2013 we moved to Edmonton.

Well being in Edmonton I don't go through anywhere near as much ammo shooting gophers as I did in Calgary. I decided to sell off the 40,000 projectiles and new bags of brass that seemed surplus to my current shooting volumes. Original cost on the projectiles alone was about $6,400. Even selling them at a discount to current store prices, realized sales amount to a little over $11,000 or a 72% gain in 8 years. The bags of new brass more than doubled on resale.

The extra guns I had around to handle the high volume of shooting, I always figured that most of the time it was cheaper as well as far faster to buy another gun than to have one re-barreled, sold for almost double what I had bought them for used in 2007-2010. These were guns that had not been put into service yet so they were still very low round count rifles.

Now how many other hobbies or sports can you say that about. Of course we won't mention what the costs would have been to use up that inventory of projectiles, brass and rifles had I stayed living in Calgary. All in though, it provides a great rational for asking what her ten year old shoes are worth on resale.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:10 PM

I think this is actually documented or studied I guess. These are a good investment. I think vinyl records was the only other thing hobby wise in the same category

-Billy Molls
Old 05-22-2020, 10:41 AM

You may be right Chuck that someone had already studied this. I knew prices had gone up quite a bit the last few years but I was really surprised to see just how much. Other thing I have found, talking to a few guys in the industry the last few weeks, anyone who can afford to stock up on Brass, Powder and Bullets should seriously be looking to do so. They are forecasting component prices to pretty much double over the next five years for a whole variety of reasons, none of which are Covid related.

Seems pretty clear that there are few places you can invest your money that pays off as good as a well stocked loading room.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:01 PM

Well you have to factor the exchange rate into that. Our dollar used to be at par so that's a pretty substantial increase right there.
Then I am fairly certain that our Federal government is not going to make it any easier to obtain these items. So, yes, costs are going to go up.
Sure, I can make a few bucks on items and supplies I have bought in the past.

But, this also means there will probably be less and less new shooters entering the sport as the costs become prohibitive. Not good news for anyone IMO.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:55 PM

Default Loading Components / Ammunition / Rifles

Dean,
I can agree with you 100%. I am not sure if I reached your level, but may have been close. About 5 years ago I started downsizing all aspects of the reloading, rifles, shooting gear etc.
I sold off just about 90% of my firearms, 100% of reloading presses, dies, trimmers, all of it.
I reloaded every last cases I had for the various calibers. And said good bye to everything. I have enough reloads to last the rest of my life.
This was in conjunction of downsizing from a big bungalow, to a fair sized condo. My wife and I just decided it was time to eliminate some of the mounds of stuff. It felt good.
I do have all the mounts, and rugs for the memories of which my kids can deal with when the time comes.
I can honestly say I did alright financially on the firearms and gear. All my stuff was in immaculate condition and gave a great return, and I had no problem letting go of this STUFF.

On to the next stage of shooting off the 11,452 reloads I still have.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:56 PM

Unless they get prohibited.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headdamage View Post
Unless they get prohibited.
Borderview is going to be doing a roaring business shipping stuff south to the States if the Liberals don't get kicked out of power and the OIC repealed. I have previously sold guns into the States, especially antique Winchester, Marlin etc because they don't have to have import marks put on them. The money you can get in the States for collectible firearms is WAY better than they sell for here. I would imagine more common firearms will be at least a break even proposition and since you can't sell them at all up here it is better than giving them to the government.

With respect to ammo prices and availability, with all the Riots in the States, ammo sales are at 300% of normal monthly volumes and guns are over 200%. The Seattle Police chief has told business owners they are on their own and have to protect their own property. The Police are being barred from intervening by the Mayor, and my bet is that will be true in lots of Cities. That is definitely going to affect availability up here and already is because sales in Canada have spiked too.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:10 PM

What we need is someone with the capitol and the interest is shooting to start up manufacturing on our side of the border. There is a market here.

The shooting community in Canada may be only 10% of what it is in the US but if someone could capture a third of that it would be huge.

Colin
Old 07-27-2020, 10:48 PM

If Trump doesn't get re-elected, there will very probably be a buy cycle on down there, even bigger than now. At the moment I have more components than I did the last time around, not missing anything I wanted to have around, so, shud be good to go for a 4yr+ term anyway. Wait and see how much faster I might use it up once I retire and have some extra time on hand.