Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2020, 11:26 AM

Last weekend, I saw on a Golden group page a photo of a "warning" stuck under the wipers of Alberta plated vehicles, saying "Albertans go home", or some such. The commentary that ensued was hilarious, with people arguing about retaining Alberta plates even though they live in BC because of the cheaper insurance, and how dare BC residents come over here to shop so as to save taxes...I personally know a couple who run a business and live full time out there, but maintain an Albertan address with a relative, so as to keep their insurance and health benefits, which is fraud. Most commenters seem to think Albertans should be welcomed, however. Although, I am sure you will encounter some who feel otherwise...

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 05-22-2020, 10:14 AM
Suspended User

We aren't welcome to camp in provincial campsites on either side. Saskatchewan is banning outsiders too.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:26 PM

I just got off the phone with BC Parks (after trying to get through 8 times over the past 2 days and being on hold for 45 minutes this time) and if you are from out of province and ALREADY HAVE a reservation they will honor it. I was told to keep an eye on the BC Parks website for updates - if your campground does not open and BC Parks cancels your reservation (before or after June 15) you will get a refund. If you cancel before June 15 you will get a refund. If you cancel after June 15 you will not get a refund.

If you are from out of province and try to make a new reservation it will not be honored and you will not get a refund.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:37 PM

As far as I am concerned all Albertans are welcome here on the central island.

I used to live in central Alberta and hope that I would be welcome there.

With the prohibition of out of province campers in provincial parks, it doesn't look like I'll be able to go camping and hiking in Kananaskis this summer

Mr Conservation
Old 05-22-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Conservation View Post
As far as I am concerned all Albertans are welcome here on the central island.

I used to live in central Alberta and hope that I would be welcome there.

Mr Conservation

Now that's the attitude everyone should have !
Thanks for the post.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:52 PM

I checked the web page of my go to site in Radium, which is Canyon RV. Big banner saying were open and welcoming all visitors including Albertans. But no washrooms, showers or laundry will be open. We knew we were not going this year long before Covid came along but I suspect there will be many openings to camp this year in the Canyon(which is rare if you don't book in March) once people see they can't use the facilities. And Covid fears.

Tourism in BC and elsewhere will take a massive hit this year.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:12 PM

Called today and was told for now day use and crown land are fine for Albertans to us. To use common sense and try to avoid going to town for items, I bring my own stuff anyways. I going for it.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:37 PM

I do a lot of motorcycle trips into bc are hotels still open for Alberta residents
Old 05-22-2020, 08:57 PM

Fair enough. I guess the boys from b.c workin on these pipeline projects in alberta all the time can stay home too. Perfect I was waiting for this to happen.👍
Old 05-22-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Fair enough. I guess the boys from b.c workin on these pipeline projects in alberta all the time can stay home too. Perfect I was waiting for this to happen.👍
Spoke with my buddy that lives in GP. He said going into BC around there isn’t a big deal. Oil and gas economy on both sides and not as many hippies/ tree huger idiots up that way.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:03 AM

I don't give a rip where you are from. As long as your fire pit is well doused, you pack your crap outta the bush with you and you enjoy your freakin' stay!

Oh and for the love of god... when you are traveling through the rock cuts west of Fernie and west of the tunnel and going 90km/h because the corners are scary, and hit that little passing lane... don't speed up to 120 and then slow back down to 90 for the next corner! Man that drives me nuts!! haha

Anyway, anyone looking for a camp site in the East Kootenay can PM me and I can probably direct you to a few out of the way ones that are pretty nice.

Those people that move here and keep an AB address in order to save on insurance etc? They WILL investigate and it will be messy if you get into an accident.. you just KNOW those insurance companies will cover their own butts to avoid any payouts they can!
Old 05-23-2020, 01:09 PM

I did a quick trip to Creston and back last week, no hostility but there was approx $700 in fraudulent charges on my visa when I got back.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:21 AM

Just keep the money in Alberta.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headdamage View Post
I did a quick trip to Creston and back last week, no hostility but there was approx $700 in fraudulent charges on my visa when I got back.
I'll be Creston next week. If that's where you think your credit card info was grabbed - where did you use your credit card there? Thx!
Old 05-25-2020, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
I just got off the phone with BC Parks (after trying to get through 8 times over the past 2 days and being on hold for 45 minutes this time) and if you are from out of province and ALREADY HAVE a reservation they will honor it. I was told to keep an eye on the BC Parks website for updates - if your campground does not open and BC Parks cancels your reservation (before or after June 15) you will get a refund. If you cancel before June 15 you will get a refund. If you cancel after June 15 you will not get a refund.

If you are from out of province and try to make a new reservation it will not be honored and you will not get a refund.
Thank you for taking the time to do this. I have an annual trip i do with my boys in july and it's booked for the following year as we leave the site. I phoned my campground this morning and they said july my reservation still stands. They said bc parks has told them for June campers need to be self sufficient, she asked if that continues for July will i be able to comply which i replied yes. She did say if anything changed they would be in touch.

So fingers crossed, we sure do love this trip.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:17 PM

Further to the BC camping fiasco.
I have both Bowron and Berg booked for later this year. My interpretation of the correspondence thus far has been...we are "asking" non-residents to cancel their reservations. I have no intention of voluntarily canceling my plans. What I have been trying to have BC Parks clarify is if they intend to cancel my reservation for me, or deny me access when I arrive.
The young lad I spoke with last night would not offer any clarification. And an email I just received from one of their representatives essentially says the same thing. You are being asked to cancel...not we are canceling, your reservation has been canceled or anything similarly succinct.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
Further to the BC camping fiasco.
I have both Bowron and Berg booked for later this year. My interpretation of the correspondence thus far has been...we are "asking" non-residents to cancel their reservations. I have no intention of voluntarily canceling my plans. What I have been trying to have BC Parks clarify is if they intend to cancel my reservation for me, or deny me access when I arrive.
The young lad I spoke with last night would not offer any clarification. And an email I just received from one of their representatives essentially says the same thing. You are being asked to cancel...not we are canceling, your reservation has been canceled or anything similarly succinct.
We also have a reservation for the Bowron Lakes in August. I called BC Parks and finally got through and they told me that because I had an existing reservation that it would be honored even though we were from out of province. I specifically asked them if I showed up would I still have a spot on the canoe circuit and they said yes.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:15 PM

Booked for end of August since January. I keep getting the ambiguous response that they're asking for me to cancel my reservation voluntarily. I hope youre right, I cant get a very clear response from them.
If there was a more reasonable and logical purpose to their approach I wouldn't be so stubborn...but honestly, this has nothing to do with 'flattening a curve'...its a back country canoe access adventure. I can avoid the few shelters easily. I will happily wear a mask and use hand sanitizer during the orientation. Their is no real defensible excuse for this that I can understand. I'll be travelling to Quesnel and PG to visit family this summer regardless
Old 06-02-2020, 11:47 PM

To hell with BC and their special place in the world. They are becoming more and more like Quebec.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:43 AM

I was going to Whiteswan lake today but after hearing about vandalism at the boat launch I called it. I can’t go fishing and enjoy myself worrying about my property being damaged by diots. I even bought my license . So they win I loose. Probably never camp at a BC PP again. They don’t deserve my money. Not one politician in BC has commented about the vandalism, so in my opinion they are condoning it. If Trudeau wanted us divided he has succeeded. Canada is not that friendly of a place anymore. Sad!

Last edited by michaelmicallef; 06-03-2020 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:49 AM

Default Some politicians have spoke out

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I was going to Whiteswan lake today but after hearing about vandalism at the boat launch I called it. I can’t go fishing and enjoy myself worrying about my property being damaged by diots. I even bought my license . So they win I loose. Probably never camp at a BC PP again. They don’t deserve my money. Not one politician in BC has commented about the vandalism, so in my opinion they are condoning it.
https://rdnewsnow.com/2020/06/02/koo...edium=facebook
Old 06-03-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby99ca View Post
That’s interesting. Thanks for the post. I did a lot of research to determine if I should go fishing in BC and that article never came up. Oh well it doesn’t change things. I am still going camping and fishing but the crowded lake experience is that much fun. Still will be nice to get out and do some camping and sit by a fire.