Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2020, 01:04 PM

Default Camping in BC

Anybody planning on camping in BC when the parks open there? I wonder if Alberta plates will be harassed? I haven’t heard or read anything that says it’s only for BC residents. Only that nonessential travel is not recommended. The rules seem to be very vague. I even called BC parks and all they said was they recommend out of province campers come back next year. If I do decide to go to BC I will camp on crown land anyways because I know we will probably just get harassed anyways.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:16 PM

I just cancelled hotel reservations in the lower interior as I really do not want to repaint my truck. I'll be supporting Alberta business's this summer, that being said business's in the east kootnays have been advertising on our community FB page so mixed signals are being sent and I get that people that make a living off of tourism usually have a very short season to make enough to last the winter but I'll be back to BC next year.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:49 PM

Cancelled my 2 weeks in Junes for camping near Nelson after I read that no non-resident Albertans were going to be allowed a reservation there. I might try again later in the year, for sure next year. Also inter-provincial travel is frowned on. A relative of mine from Manitoba was heading to Victoria in June and canceled because she was told she would have to isolate for 14 days unpaid when she got back to Manitoba.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:49 PM

We have a reservation to paddle the Bowron Lakes in August. I really hope the lockdown is over by then... we've been planning this trip for a long time.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:06 PM

I'm interested in this as well. We have reservations at Kikomun for Jul 5-14... We have until June 15 to cancel with no penalty, so hopefully there's some more clarity before then.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:27 PM

haha I just got back from Vancouver Island 2 days ago Since I have a home on the Island. Honestly With Alberta plates I did not feel welcome even though It still felt like my home. With my Alberta plates and being Asian I was always in fear of having my Jeep vandalized when Parked at a Marina. I was never worried when I parked at home since i knew all my neighbours. But all recreational sites made me feel anxious.

On a side note let me show off a couple photos from the other week.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_-rwPnA...on_share_sheet
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_1LFQ9g...on_share_sheet

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-20-2020, 02:36 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
We have a reservation to paddle the Bowron Lakes in August. I really hope the lockdown is over by then... we've been planning this trip for a long time.
Did this trip in 1998...awesome time...took the full seven days...awesome scenery and fishing too!

Hope it works out for you.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-20-2020, 02:39 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
haha I just got back from Vancouver Island 2 days ago Since I have a home on the Island. Honestly With Alberta plates I did not feel welcome even though It still felt like my home. With my Alberta plates and being Asian I was always in fear of having my Jeep vandalized when Parked at a Marina. I was never worried when I parked at home since i knew all my neighbours. But all recreational sites made me feel anxious.

On a side note let me show off a couple photos from the other week.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_-rwPnA...on_share_sheet
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_1LFQ9g...on_share_sheet
that really is too bad that a Canadian citizen feels anxious while traveling in any province....scary how some treat others...but it looked like you had a great time.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:56 PM

Howdy, very interesting topic. Worries me that Alberta plates are being targeted. I have a booking this summer at a Cabin the Shuswap and wondering if I should be concerned? I’d hope folks from Alberta are welcome. Would reconsider if vandalism is on the rise.

Thoughts?
Old 05-20-2020, 03:07 PM

I don't think we'll be doing much, if any travel to BC this year. I grew up in the Lower Mainland and cut my teeth fishing in the BC interior for stillwater rainbows. BC people tend to be pretty touchy about Albertans in "their" province for some reason, especially on remote lakes that are little known. At least once per trip, I end up explaining that I grew up in BC and have been fishing those lakes for decades. The tend to settle down a little after that.

The level of arrogance and ignorance displayed by many BCers is embarassing and shameful. Fortunately, the places we do camp are relatively remote and don't require reservations. If you regularly camp in crowded areas, I'd reconsider until the virus paranoia and hysteria level drops.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:19 PM

Every year we go to summerland area for a week and bring back a few hundred pounds of fruit. We aren’t booking the camp site this year but hope I can do a day trip out there and then turn and burn back home the next day with our fruit.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:25 PM

HONESTLY, dont let any of this stop you from traveling. Any vandalism is rare. When i was on the Ferry I had many cars and trucks surrounding me with alberta plates. All the "road blocks" that formed were mainly aimed towards out of country plates from the states.

I still see many alberta plates. Let me repeat. Any vandalism that happens is super super rare.

I'm Asian and with alberta plates I was ok for two months no issues. I get people looking at my plate and i could see what they were thinking. But I still had no issues. Just respect everyone's personal space.

Respect wildlife
Old 05-20-2020, 04:32 PM

boycotting B.C and their NDP government until the pipeline is complete
Old 05-20-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
I'm interested in this as well. We have reservations at Kikomun for Jul 5-14... We have until June 15 to cancel with no penalty, so hopefully there's some more clarity before then.

Think I’m booked there right after you’re there. Fully intend to go. Most of kikomun is Albert an anyways and that’s 2 months away. The folks that haven’t forgot by then, we’ll I’m not opposed to their types harassment
Old 05-20-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbobbeck View Post
boycotting B.C and their NDP government until the pipeline is complete
No end of good places in Alberta to enjoy. Time to support our businesses and let the pipeline haters look after themselves.

Grizz
Old 05-20-2020, 05:32 PM

Just another bash BC thread
Old 05-20-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunter327 View Post
Just another bash BC thread
I love BC, I love Canada

Respect wildlife
Old 05-20-2020, 06:46 PM

It’s not the highly populated campgrounds or towns where you’re going to get vandalized. It’s when you park on crown land and leave your truck to go for a ride etc. My wife’s from BC and every time we go back I listen to all the red plate bashing. Even her close friends think it’s ok to bash right to our faces. Then it’s like a funny joke to them after. It’s just getting old. Mainly why we purchased property in Montana instead. Cruise right on by. Montanans welcome the tourism revenue with open arms.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:54 PM

C’mon over, the fishing’s fine. Seriously.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:13 PM

A few friends of mine have spent weekends in the Kootenays with no issues.

Plenty of great places to camp in AB though.

I'd be more inclined to spend my money in AB, especially because of the current situation.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:14 PM

I just want to go to white swan lake and catch a few rainbows. Been waiting all winter, tying flies . I don’t even keep any of thier damn fish. Starting to really dislike my country right now. I was going to camp on crown land . But I don’t need stress while going fishing. 2020 is turning into a **** show of epic proportions. I probably can’t even go duck hunting this fall.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:14 PM

This thread kinda reminds me of when I moved to Alberta back in 1980. Until I got my Ontario plates changed , I used to get the dirty looks and people flipping me the bird on a daily basis .
Old 05-20-2020, 10:24 PM

I will only be buying gas and maybe fruit on my trips to Bc . Work on house on private land has to be done . I was born there but Alberta is my home now . At this point I'm glad I'm not invested with much but my labour
Old 05-20-2020, 10:55 PM

I wonder if I can put my old BC plates on the truck while parked to prevent some vandalism?
Old 05-20-2020, 11:28 PM

Wink

I guess no matter where you go you will meet the odd one....enjoy the trips out of province....I am looking to an adventure soon too....take the low ground and travel at night

Old 05-21-2020, 08:49 AM

I received an email from BC Parks regarding our Bowron reservation - the full canoe circuit is open as of June 30.

However, they are asking non-BC residents to call before June 15 to cancel your reservation and receive a full refund. Non-BC residents who are found to make a reservation after May 25 will have their reservations cancelled immediately without refund.

--------

BC Parks is taking a phased approach to re-opening, and as of May 14, 2020, many parks have re-opened for day use. The Discover Camping website and call centre will reopen to new reservations on May 25, 2020 at 7am PT. Campgrounds, camping opportunities and accommodations will begin to open on June 1, 2020.

As we work to ensure a positive and safe camping experience for all park staff and visitors, we have made a few additional operational changes for the upcoming camping season:

· Frontcountry and backcountry reservations will be available on a 2-month rolling window starting May 25th at 7am:

o On May 25th, the system will open to arrivals as far forward as July 25th.

o On May 26th, July 26th arrivals will be released; on May 27th, July 27th arrivals will be released and so on. This daily release of inventory will continue until the end of the reservable period in each campground is reached.

o Reservations can be made in most campgrounds for a maximum stay of 14 days, subject to availability.

o Reservations made within the first two weeks of inventory being released cannot be changed. This is to prevent people from overbooking and subsequently changing arrival dates to shorten their stay in order to obtain a favourable site or time ahead of other customers. These reservations can only be cancelled, and normal cancellation fees will apply. Customers should not attempt to book a reservation until exactly 2 months ahead of their chosen arrival date.

o Regular cancellation rules and penalties will apply to all new reservations made on or after May 25th.

· Groupsites and reservable picnic shelters will remain closed for the time being; all existing reservations will be cancelled through to December 31, 2020.

· Preferential access to camping will be given to BC-residents for the 2020 camping season. Non-BC residents with existing reservations are asked to contact the call centre before June 15 to cancel and receive a full refund. New reservations made after May 25th found to be made by non-BC residents will be subject to immediate cancellation without refund.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:15 AM

So is banning Albertans a government rule or a gross expansion on an interpretation of BC’s reopening plan?

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...el-coronavirus

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...__NOTIFICATION

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...FICATION#parks

Only statement so far...”BC-Alberta Border
AVOID NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL over the BC-ALBERTA BORDER”

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...__NOTIFICATION

There is no where that it states Albertans are to be targeted by B.C. Parks.

http://bcparks.ca/covid-19/parks-affected/

I would inquire with any proprietor about showing where the company must reject Albertans due to B.C. or Federal Covid laws.

Otherwise illegally discriminating against a fellow Canadian is wrong in the context of going camping to a park. Alberta had 15 cases yesterday. We are NOT the USA with their massive problem.

I have seen lots of B.C. plates in Calgary. Doesn’t bother me if people social distance and wear masks.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-21-2020, 09:26 AM

Default Nation Lakes

Ten years or so ago I did the Nation Lakes north of Prince George. I liked it better than the Bowron as it was not very crowded. At that time you did not need reservations.
The biggest difference between the two areas is the Nation Lakes are a straight line of lakes so you have to either bring two vehicles or hire a local outfitter to drive you to the put in spot.
The roads are rough logging roads and we did have some problems when a small SUV hit a rock.
You had to bring your own equipment to set up a bear pole to keep your food from the hungry critters. Also a shovel to dig toilet pits. We did have a black bear visit our camp during the night but he found nothing so moved off.
Ten years ago I did not feel comfortable leaving my truck parked by itself at the put in area for a week but as it turned out it was fine. If I did the trip again I would hire a local to drive my truck to the put in area and take it back to his home at the take out area.
There is more fast water between the lakes on the nation lakes circuit
so you have to have better canoe skills than on the Bowron.
The fishing was great.
You can check with B.C. parks to see if the Nation Lakes is a go for non B.C. residents. You can also check to see what the conditions are like at this time.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I guess no matter where you go you will meet the odd one....enjoy the trips out of province....I am looking to an adventure soon too....take the low ground and travel at night
Aim low boys, they're riding Shetlands.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:47 AM

I just copied and pasted this from the FAQ section on the BC Parks website. It appears that it is not an official policy to ban out-of-province tourists, only an encouragement.

---------------

What is your policy on out-of-province visitors?
While intra-provincial travel is not restricted, international travelers may not be permitted to enter Canada due to federal border restrictions

We encourage those who wish to visit BC from out-of-province to visit us another year.