Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-14-2020, 11:55 AM

Default Bumbling Billy on cannons...

The minister of safety Bill Blair, also the minister of public drunkenness, stumbles through awkwardly answering why the governing "rulers" would ban a historic cannon in a park.

This one mentioned, is a 12 pound cannon made in 1816, and now used as a signal cannon.

He finally deflects and equates it to a grenade launcher, banned for the safety of Canadians everywhere.

200 year old high volume assault cannons!

https://twitter.com/JimSmit31509504/...43846074949634

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-14-2020, 12:00 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

bumbling idiot.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-14-2020, 01:44 PM

He certainly looks like an alcoholic.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:07 PM

The Stanley Park caretaker who is in charge of that cannon is an old friend of my wife’s, I have him on my Facebook, I’ll have to see what his opinion is about this. I know he’s a preacher who likes his firearms.....
Old 05-14-2020, 02:09 PM

As stupid as he is Canadian votes put him where he is giving him the ability to screw with firearms laws.We can laugh at his incompetence all we want but at the end of the day he is getting the last laugh and he is not done yet

So how does everyone feel about getting screwed over by a moron?
Old 05-14-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
As stupid as he is Canadian votes put him where he is giving him the ability to screw with firearms laws.We can laugh at his incompetence all we want but at the end of the day he is getting the last laugh and he is not done yet

So how does everyone feel about getting screwed over by a moron?
Silent, seething rage.

I certainly didn't vote for those morons. Either time. It boggles my mind that Canadians let him in again. Let him vote buy with fake refugees and economic leaches.

I laughed when he was elected leader of the libs. Surely Canadians aren't stupid enough to vote for him. With glee, I listened as he admired dictatorial regimes, and demonstrated his ignorance of the world over and over.

Jokes on me now, but I will continue to remind people of the Kokanee Groper, Lavscam, partying with the Aga Khan, blackfacing on multiple occasions then hypocritically attacking others on fake racism, and of course buying and silencing media. Also the rampant attack on free speech in general.

Now highlighting how nonsensical the new gun laws are, is both painful and a boon for our arguments.

Pureblood!
Old 05-14-2020, 03:22 PM

Does it not meet the definition of an antique firearm? The OIC preamble states that the regulation only applies to firearms per 84(1) of the act which excludes antique firearms.

I'm going to assume they're having some fun at Blair's expense. Sad he doesn't know enough to give an answer. All question period questions are shared ahead of time.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:28 PM

“ stupid is what stupid does”
Old 05-14-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Silent, seething rage.

I certainly didn't vote for those morons. Either time. It boggles my mind that Canadians let him in again. Let him vote buy with fake refugees and economic leaches.

I laughed when he was elected leader of the libs. Surely Canadians aren't stupid enough to vote for him. With glee, I listened as he admired dictatorial regimes, and demonstrated his ignorance of the world over and over.

Jokes on me now, but I will continue to remind people of the Kokanee Groper, Lavscam, partying with the Aga Khan, blackfacing on multiple occasions then hypocritically attacking others on fake racism, and of course buying and silencing media. Also the rampant attack on free speech in general.

Now highlighting how nonsensical the new gun laws are, is both painful and a boon for our arguments.

Not to mention the cardboard drink box water bottle sort of thing to bring in paper straws to protect the oceans of Alberta, meanwhile the plastic lid on those drive thru cups seem to be just fine.
I share in your disappointment with fellow citizens
Old 05-14-2020, 09:08 PM

Is that all the opposition could muster?

-Billy Molls
Old 05-14-2020, 10:18 PM

I can think of museum pieces all over this country, some of them dating back to Champlain, that fit this definition. Going to scrap them all ?

Grizz
Old 05-14-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
My thoughts as well. So far, I haven't seen any real opposition from politicians, or the gun orgs either. They need to be raking Libs over the coals for how it came about by OIC, and how they have demonized gun owners by association without grounds, forfeiture of private property, criminalizing the law abiding while doing nothing to stop violent crime....and so forth. Most of the piddly stuff like shotgun bore diameters and this signal cannon is just weak sauce, it misses the whole point to focus on the minutia. The public doesn't give a damn about any of that. It needs to be about gross over reach of authority and ideologically driven repression of a segment of society. The violation of our rights and freedoms today, then sets the precedent for the violation of somebody else tomorrow. Whatever ideology drives the bus. Climate change....vegans....the implementation of state industry, and state controlled wages.....nationalization of all resources.....who knows how it all pans out.

But I certainly don't count on a progressive ideologically driven agenda to produce utopia.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-15-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I can think of museum pieces all over this country, some of them dating back to Champlain, that fit this definition. Going to scrap them all ?

Grizz
Collecting does not seem to be an appropriate reason to own the newly prohibited firearms. The entire OIC only mentions hunting.
While the antique guns may get a pass the 100yr old WWI and 80 year old WWII stuff is clearly being targeted.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
While the antique guns may get a pass the 100yr old WWI and 80 year old WWII stuff is clearly being targeted.
True. It will be a significant cultural loss to all Canadians.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Grizz
No cost is to high for “social re-engineering”
Old 05-16-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Grizz
That would fit perfectly with their desire to delete all unsavoury parts of history from the record. It is a symbol of racism, colonialism, bigotry, sexism, patriarchy... blah blah blah, after all.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:52 AM

Nice, but all kinds of scary. Scary, scary, scary! I jest, a little. While I have no issues with the rifle, this is very much a horses for courses thing, and looking for something that looks like Grampa's old deer rifle. The SKS may push the theme a bit, but is still relatively non threatening as a WW2 era relic with full wood stock.

Pureblood!
Old 05-17-2020, 11:05 AM

Was replying to a different post^^^

Oops!

Pureblood!
Old 05-17-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeHunter View Post
Does it not meet the definition of an antique firearm? The OIC preamble states that the regulation only applies to firearms per 84(1) of the act which excludes antique firearms.

I'm going to assume they're having some fun at Blair's expense. Sad he doesn't know enough to give an answer. All question period questions are shared ahead of time.
Not legal eagle enough to say whether that would apply, but from what I can gather, because there did not seem to be exemptions mentioned that I saw, there is none.

There is some debate about this on Gunnutz.

Pureblood!
Old 05-17-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I think it serves very well to highlight the stupidity and short sightedness of the bill, and bring into question the validity of the "experts" pushing this through. If it can be shown that the bill is dog crap on the heels of the Canadian public, now there is reason and push to scrap it.

I kind of would like to hear the argument made for arms against aggressive government and paramilitary actions within our own borders, but I'm not sure how that would play out.

Pureblood!
Old 05-18-2020, 08:40 PM

I just PM’d on Facebook with the caretaker of Stanley Park who is the very fellow who sets off the cannon there, he noted he’s still firing it daily, it’s business as usual for him. I told him I was ecstatic to hear that

Could you imagine the optics if there was press coverage of him being hauled off in cuffs for upholding a tradition that’s occurred since 1898?

Last edited by CaberTosser; 05-18-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:04 PM

Default Cannons

It would be nice if we had some police on our side go create a stink about this and try and seize the cannons to prove a point.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:44 PM

I don’t think cannons are included in the ban. You have to look at the definition of firearm they used in the criminal code. Pretty sure all this is just a bunch of noise so the opposition can get everyone riled up on the 20mm bore restriction. I am not a fan of this ban/or a lawyer just what I’ve read elsewhere.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
I don’t think cannons are included in the ban. You have to look at the definition of firearm they used in the criminal code. Pretty sure all this is just a bunch of noise so the opposition can get everyone riled up on the 20mm bore restriction. I am not a fan of this ban/or a lawyer just what I’ve read elsewhere.
They are affected if not matchlock, flintlock or wheellock and built after 1897.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:32 AM

I think the question has to be asked. Who is the bigger moron. Trudeau, Blair or the people who voted them back in?
Old 05-20-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Of course they are, especially if not considered antique. By the way there are quite a number of shot guns now listed as prohibited too due to this OIC. Lots of old classic 4 and 8 gauge guns are now considered military grade assault weapons:

67425 Unknown Side By Side Shotgun Multi-Barrel
72015 Unknown Single Barrel Shotgun Single-Shot
72630 Unknown Single Barrel Percussion Shotgun Single-Shot
36579 Unknown Belgian Side By Side Shotgun Multi-Barrel
62225 Unknown British Single Barrel Percussion Shotgun Single-Shot
28715 Verney-Carron Helicobloc Verney-Carron Shotgun Multi-Barrel
27754 Webley & Scott Wild Fowl Gun Webley & Scott Shotgun Multi-Barrel
82751 Westley Richards Single Barrel Westley Richards & Company Shotgun Single-Shot
59297 Williams, F Side By Side Williams, F Shotgun Multi-Barrel
Old 05-20-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
agree

If the firearms organizations are doing something, it would be nice to get updates

Otherwise, a couple million of us are thinking " wth are they doing? Just collecting membership $?"
Old 05-20-2020, 02:47 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

my potato canon errr I mean gun is still good to go

412-4129199_potato-cannon-potato-cannon-cartoon.png.jpg

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-20-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
Of course they are, especially if not considered antique. By the way there are quite a number of shot guns now listed as prohibited too due to this OIC. Lots of old classic 4 and 8 gauge guns are now considered military grade assault weapons:

67425 Unknown Side By Side Shotgun Multi-Barrel
72015 Unknown Single Barrel Shotgun Single-Shot
72630 Unknown Single Barrel Percussion Shotgun Single-Shot
36579 Unknown Belgian Side By Side Shotgun Multi-Barrel
62225 Unknown British Single Barrel Percussion Shotgun Single-Shot
28715 Verney-Carron Helicobloc Verney-Carron Shotgun Multi-Barrel
27754 Webley & Scott Wild Fowl Gun Webley & Scott Shotgun Multi-Barrel
82751 Westley Richards Single Barrel Westley Richards & Company Shotgun Single-Shot
59297 Williams, F Side By Side Williams, F Shotgun Multi-Barrel
Cannons only if not meeting antique. OIC regulation subject to definition in act.

They have added some named 22 LR variants as well.

Lots to be concerned about. Overbored shotgun barrels and many hunting rifle receivers fall within the 20mm bore or capable of 10kJ.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
I think the question has to be asked. Who is the bigger moron. Trudeau, Blair or the people who voted them back in?

All of the above