Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-17-2020, 10:54 AM

Default Firearm Related Businesses We Can Recommend

Hey guys. During this economic downturn, I thought it may be a good idea to give some shout outs to businesses in the province that we can personally recommend. Places that you have dealt with, and have given consistently excellent service. We are always quick to jump on places that shaft us, so why not go the other route and recommend places that have done right by us.

I will start off with Prophet River Firearms in Lloydminster. They are a locally owned small company that sells all things firearm related. They have been in business for a long time and treat people right, not just in price, but in service too. It is owned by an outdoorsmen who knows the value of a customer, and goes the extra mile for them. Numbers of forum members I know personally have dealt with them and have nothing but great things to say.

Plus, they have become a site sponsor in the last while.

Let's hear who you would recommend...

Last edited by sns2; 05-17-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:38 AM

All 5 local businesses in the NE/lakeland are small, independent and top notch as well:

Sylvestre sporting goods

Franchere sporting goods

Poachers corner

Warehouse sports

Lac La Biche sporting goods.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:41 AM

Default Guns

Another vote for Clay at Prophet River
Udo at Flys etc.
And
Dale at Shooters Choice.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:44 AM

Tundra Supply in Edmonton. They just started in the last couple years and are really struggling right now. They could use all the help they can get.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:46 AM

I'll submit the Calgary Shooting Center, one reason being was that they once hosted a meeting with MLA Glen Motz (Michelle Rempel was also supposed to attended but she was unfortunately re-directed). The meeting of course involved discussion of firearm rights and they set up tables & chairs right within their actual shooting range. I got a very good impression of MP Motz that evening. I forget when this meeting took place, but it was easily a year ago.

Of course they're also a top-notch store, I've found them to have excellent inventory and attentive staff.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 05-17-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:52 AM

Prophet River, then Bashaw Sports, most of my firearms and supplies come from one or the other.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:55 AM

Prophet River
Swamp Donkey
P&D Enterprises
Bashaw Sports
Used to like the Shootist in St Albert but I heard he closed down due to too many break ins. Not sure if that is true but their web page is gone and the Facebook site isn't up either..

In no particular order.

There are lots of other great independent stores like Elwood Epps and Tradex for online ordering but these are local.

Never heard of Tundra supply so looked up where they located.

Tundra Supply LTD
Edmonton's Newest Gun Shop
A Proudly Canadian Company
15355 116 Ave
Edmonton, AB T5M 3Z5
(587) 557-1199

Last edited by Dean2; 05-17-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:30 PM

Sights & Arms, St Albert - smaller shop but good guys and the two smith jobs I had dome were excellent - pretty decent consignment area and pricing as well

P&D very reasonable pricing and selection - excellent Rimfire selection
Old 05-17-2020, 12:43 PM

I support all of the locally owned businesses in Alberta.
Basically anyone but US owned Cabelas and BassPro.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:07 PM
Banned

Prophet River
Real precision Shooting
Insite arms
Metric arms
Old 05-17-2020, 01:10 PM

I can't go to Edmonton and not visit P&D. I also like Phoenix range up there. Of course when I'm in the area, Bashaw Sports is excellent, and a rare find where you get the character of an old building complete with squeaky floors. In Calgary, Pro Line Shooters would be our local version of Bashaw Sports, complete with in-house gunsmithing and the old character. For those who don't know, Pro Line also does work with the movie industry as armorers, there are all kinds of signed celebrity photos on the wall from films they've worked on.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:55 PM

Extreme Range Outfitters in Saskatoon, a young business on an upward trajectory. They run an online auction weekly, ending each Sunday, that is generating lots of interest. There is no buyer's premium.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:16 PM

Bullets and Broadheads in GP, fantastic staff and facility, great retail side. It is my Happy Place, they invested a lot and built probably the best shooting center in the country.

Barton's Big Country, they have been around for a long time and have served the community faithfully.

Corlanes in Dawson Creek, BC, still local to us and they have a great team of people with a lot of knowledge and passion. They have helped me out on a couple of occasions.

Prime Time, they have had their struggles but have hung in there and still making a go of it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-17-2020, 05:27 PM

Great job guys! This is exactly what I was hoping for
Old 05-17-2020, 05:33 PM

For firearm businesses I have had nothing but positive experiences with (in no particular order):

Dale @ Shooters Choice 2014
All Staff @ Prophet River
Darcy Boyer (Boyer's Sporting Goods) from Maple Creek
All Staff @ Bashaw Sports

For anything reloading related:
Doug Rayner @ Rayn'er Shine Gunworks out of Lancer Saskatchewan
If Doug can't find/get it ... you are likely S.O.L.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:46 PM
Banned

Prophet, bashaw sports, insite arms are my favourite
Old 05-17-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Extreme Range Outfitters in Saskatoon, a young business on an upward trajectory. They run an online auction weekly, ending each Sunday, that is generating lots of interest. There is no buyer's premium.
X2 they definitely treat the customer top notch.and give you a fair trade on used firearms
Old 05-17-2020, 07:54 PM

Neerlandia co-op. If you reload this is the place to go. Usually if nobody has what your looking for Brent that looks after the gun department will have it.

Prophet River. Service is second to None. Several times I have called in the afternoon to order something. 36 hours later it’s in my mail box.

Bashaw Sports. For a little shop they have a huge selection. Few years ago when I bought my LH CZ 452 Pud was the only one in the province that had one.

Kodiak Lake outfitters in barrhead. Another small shop with a good assortment of almost everything.

P&D good selection and sales staff are very helpful.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:05 PM

The Shooting Edge in Heritage Calgary is probably the best one ive been to in the city.
I will go out of my way to go there every time for the quality of their customer service every time.
They also offer PAL/RPAL courses almost every weekend for new shooters.

Can't say I recommend the Shooting Center as I have yet to have a good experience there.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:24 PM

Al flahertys has always treated me great, they have really good prices and ship promptly!!
Old 05-24-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariouskater View Post
The Shooting Edge in Heritage Calgary is probably the best one ive been to in the city.
I will go out of my way to go there every time for the quality of their customer service every time.
They also offer PAL/RPAL courses almost every weekend for new shooters.

Can't say I recommend the Shooting Center as I have yet to have a good experience there.
Big middle finger to the shooting edge...

https://o.canada.com/news/national/d...ers-gun-owners
Old 05-24-2020, 08:17 PM

Dale has always been great at Sportsmen's Den in Red Deer.

All the guys at Proline Shooters in Calgary are awesome.

Flys Etc. in High River asked me if I wanted to be put on a wait list for H4350 and Varget. 2 weeks later I had 2 lbs of each. Great folks down there too.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:23 PM

Default Edmonton

P&D deserves a shout, even during this shutdown my emails have been answered, parts or reloading gear supplied.
The other is Wildcat Composites. Stuart's work is immaculate.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:41 PM

I have received great service and some great deals from P&D, Prophet River, Bashaw Sports, Prairie Gun Traders ( Avonlea, SK), and had great dealings with Wildcat Composites. Budget Shooter's Supply in BC is fantastic to deal with.

I generally get disgusted at Cabelas and always at Bass Pro.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
All the guys at Proline Shooters in Calgary are awesome.

Flys Etc. in High River asked me if I wanted to be put on a wait list for H4350 and Varget. 2 weeks later I had 2 lbs of each. Great folks down there too.

Hat’s off also to the gentlemen ( and lady ) at Proline and Udo and family at Fly’s etc. Both businesses always go over and above for their customers.

CAN-do.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:42 PM

Default Flys Etc High River

I have to add another for Flys etc. Great/interesting selection for a smaller store. Research what you want from the big-box American store then call Fly's etc. to order it in. He's always matched prices or better. I've even picked up merch at Udo's house after hours (who does that!??)
Old 05-25-2020, 10:47 PM

I should add while I try to avoid Bass Pro and Cabelas (or any US big box) if I can help it, in all fairness I've had some great service at both thanks some decent staff..so no reflection on the folks that work there!
Old 05-26-2020, 07:40 AM

Higginnson Powders is my goto place for powder.
Paull Reibin at Rangesports Unlimited in Kamloops is a top shelf guy for anything match rifle related , although he is downsizing a bit these days .
Cat
Old 05-26-2020, 08:42 AM
Banned

Prophet River
P&D

Have been great, have bought at least one rifle from Prophet during covid times.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:58 AM

Caroline Supply Reg and his team always a great supply of goods