Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I probably shop a little different than most of you. Other than produce, milk and cream which I get at the local Co op I don't but anything unless it is on sale. Co op used to have terrific loss leader prices, as did Superstore and Safeways. I have noticed that these loss leaders have all but disappeared in the stores except Safeway. They still have loss leaders, rib steak last week 6.99lb, brisket and pork belly this week at 2.99lb. The other stores all seemed to have dropped these great sales. So yes, you used to get great meat sales at Co op. As an aside, it really pays to shop around and have a well stocked pantry and freezer. It is amazing the deals that are out there if you can wait for sales.
Spot on. Shop the specials and stock up. It saves a pile of money having freezer space and a large pantry. Shopping every few days is going to add at least 40% to your overall grocery bills in a year.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelli1 View Post
"Early bird gets the worm" I've found usually a day or two after the start of a sale the product is sold out.
thats right i had to try a couple of days for the safeway brisket finally was ble to get one i wake up early and was standing in line at 8 , there was few folks going directly to the meat aile , the butcher said only 2 case show up and he had order 8 case , and there was 4 slabs in each case .
Old 05-25-2020, 12:26 PM

I've noticed some increases, but nothing close to 40%. That figure seems to be an exaggeration to me, as well as the $20.00/lb pork.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:00 PM
Banned

I deal with pork and imported goods, so far no increase in prices from my suppliers.

Wage top ups, ppe supplies...gimme a break...it's a retail store, it is supposed to be clean...i've yet to walk into a store where personel wears ppe, face mask of questionable origin and quality certainly does not apply as PPE.

I'll bet most retail stores that remained opened had at least 30% increase in sales compared to same period last year or years prior.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:04 PM

With only the wife working and me getting to be the shopper one thing I do notice is less sales on common everyday items. Some of the things I would pickup every week was always on sale but not so much any more. I find many items on promo are ones that most do not buy many of. I also check the flyers which we never did before. Watch for the meats, chicken, pork etc. as they tend to go on good deals all by themself not all of them at once. Bulk up when they do and you will save. We have a vacuum sealer as well and load up when there is a good deal when they are to be had.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:15 PM

Default suppliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
I deal with pork and imported goods, so far no increase in prices from my suppliers.

Wage top ups, ppe supplies...gimme a break...it's a retail store, it is supposed to be clean...i've yet to walk into a store where personel wears ppe, face mask of questionable origin and quality certainly does not apply as PPE.

I'll bet most retail stores that remained opened had at least 30% increase in sales compared to same period last year or years prior.
Who is your pork supplier? I am able to buy direct through Maple Leaf Winnipeg and their pricing has been climbing regular. Skyrocketing in fact.
Face masks-50.00 day for starters, plexiglass dividers at stations (anyone familiar with the cost of plexiglass even before this mess!?) , and another 3.00/hr danger pay to lure people to coming to work instead of staying home on government pay. Sure I could have easily made your 30% extra. The demand was there, but everytime someone had a sniffle and they did a trace-back I lost half my crew. That and the added costs from MY suppliers, and I would have rather stayed home on quarantine and drawn the cushy government money too!
Old 05-25-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelli1 View Post
"Early bird gets the worm" I've found usually a day or two after the start of a sale the product is sold out.

Except the store got none. Pretty hard to buy what they never had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Except the store got none. Pretty hard to buy what they never had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If they never had any at all I would ask for a raincheck
Old 05-26-2020, 11:18 AM

I've noticed with the local No Frills, they regularly place similar non sale items , with no price posted , beside the sale items in an apparent attempt to confuse you. When you get to the till, tough to keep track.

Grizz