Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-25-2019, 07:35 PM

Takes MUCH longer than one winter to break down. We had an " unathourized " abandoned gravel pit where many people went to shoot. There are clays there that are at least 5 years and still VERY visible and VERY orange. And that is in a gravel pit that has been posted and shut down now to -- you guessed it, littering. The owner is pi**ed at the garbage including clays. The crown forest is no place for this littering. Can you not find a shotgun club. You yourself said nice river valley, it won't be for long because when one litter bug is there more will see it and follow. And YES, the people that leave broken clays in a beautiful valley view should be charged with littering. And to the other point brought up, the RM around Saskatoon is not firearms discharge. Our rifle range has a 10 am untill 6 pm window on sundays. Many places have restrictions as ELK has mentioned. Be considerate and keep clays where they belong--at your club.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:07 AM

must be nice to assume everyone hangs around at "the club" what's your next suggestion? if you cant afford to shoot at a club you shouldn't shoot at all?
Old 05-27-2019, 01:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
must be nice to assume everyone hangs around at "the club" what's your next suggestion? if you cant afford to shoot at a club you shouldn't shoot at all?
Nope, but you sure shouldn't make a mess and clays make a BIG MESS.
For $10 a round of 25 you can shoot your heart out at a "CLUB" no membership, just show up and say HI.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Nope, but you sure shouldn't make a mess and clays make a BIG MESS.
For $10 a round of 25 you can shoot your heart out at a "CLUB" no membership, just show up and say HI.
Actually some clubs only charge $5 or $6 per round for non members, when you do the math, by the time you pay for the clays, shooting at a club, costs very little extra. And it is much more of a challenge to shoot actual skeet, or wobble trap, than it is with a hand thrower, or portable thrower. The excuses that I hear for not shooting at a club are usually that people don't want to observe the safety rules, or they want to drink a beer while they shoot.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
in your mind people that leave broken clays should be charged with littering?
Short answer, yes.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-27-2019, 09:36 AM

If you can't afford a club membership then do as Elk and others suggested, pay as a guest at a club OR ask any of your friends that own an acreage or farm and see if they will let you litter the back 40 with those " quick to break down " clays and heck, just leave them there for the family to enjoy.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:07 PM

Default different areas, different rules...

There are the provincial/federal rules, and then as stated a couple of times, there are "area specific" rules. Around Mclean Creek and towards Millarville (most of 406 if I'm not mistaken) there are signs all over (within the last couple of years) stating that the rules are no target shooting within 1km of any roadway. I even got stopped from target shooting my bow last year, and I was way back the Ware Creek road, no one around...CO happened to cruise by and she informed me that "even discharging a sling shot was not allowed within 1km"...she was cool about it, just a verbal warning, but kind of a bummer. I get it though...too may idiots ruining it for the rest of us. If people followed the rules and did their shooting, and then actually cleaned up their targets etc...this would not have happened.

Had to explain it to my kids last weekend, when out for a hike in the same area we came across a bunch of target garbage...6-8 plastic jugs all shot up, metal tins all shot up, piles of .22 and 9mm brass. Hard to get them to believe that there are actually responsible shooters out there...at least they were there to help me carry it all back to the truck! Unfortunately the "new rules" still don't stop the lazy idiots that give us all a bad name...at least that's how I explain it to my girls!
Old 05-27-2019, 05:46 PM

It is funny reading the back a forth between the guys that belong to a range and the guys that shoot on crown. At my range it costs 250$ a year to shoot as many times as you want if I only shoot 4 times a year it pays for its self just in gas savings. My range is 15 min from my house and some times I go 3 times a day when I’m getting close to my loads. Do a cost analysts and compare a range membership to your “free” crown land shooting for some of you it will be cheaper to shoot crown land for most of you it’ll be cheaper to shoot at a range and you don’t even know it. Ranges are safer cleaner and you learn a lot from other members. Highly recommend you guys go out and try a range I’ve had zero negative times at my range and many negative times on crown.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:51 PM

You guys and your ranges. You don"t realize there is 3-5 year waiting list for pretty much all ranges. Go out to the crown land and blast away, pick up your garbage and have fun. Who cares what these guys think!
Old 05-27-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
You guys and your ranges. You don"t realize there is 3-5 year waiting list for pretty much all ranges. Go out to the crown land and blast away, pick up your garbage and have fun. Who cares what these guys think!
3 to 5 year wait, I haven’t belong to a single shooting club that has such a wait time(4 different ranges in 40 years), so which ranges are these with the heady wait times?

There are no absolutes
Old 05-27-2019, 07:58 PM

Calgary district shooters club, rose bud club, BTSA. Every out door range around calgary. Sorry i don't feel like driving to Edmonton to join a club.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
There in no wait list at my local range, and the other range that I am a member of , I was able to get into by applying online at 12:02, on January 1. The range that I belonged to before I retired had unlimited memberships as well.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:18 PM

Well goood for you
Old 05-27-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Calgary district shooters club, rose bud club, BTSA. Every out door range around calgary. Sorry i don't feel like driving to Edmonton to join a club.
Sorry for your luck, perhaps getting the ear of the new administration in Edmonton could open something for the forlorn souls around cow town.

FWIW: the gong show with that end of the province for shooting and hunting is why I will never live down there.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-27-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:

And you forget to mention that there is zero guaranty to get a membership even after 3-5 years.
I was trying to sponsor 2 of my friends into a Rosebud for 4 years with no luck at all.
They just gave it up and started using public land for shooting .
Paying a guest pass fee of $ 40.00 would not encourager many people neither.

Guys from the north seems to be leaving in a bit different reality world.

So yes, I'll agree, find a safe spot on a crown land and have fun with your guns guys.
Its legal so far...

S12
Old 05-28-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I only had to wait 6 months to get in cdtsa my father and a few of my friends had to wait one year and they got in this year. 3-5 may be the wait at some clubs but if you never get on a list you’ll never get in. It also dosnt cost anything to go on a waiting list and you can always back out if you decide not to get the membership.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:12 PM

Put it this way i could care less about ranges i will continue to shoot on crown land where i can shoot up to 800 yards safely and legally and save the 4-5 hundred dollar yearly fee. If you don't like it to bad i could care less.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Put it this way i could care less about ranges i will continue to shoot on crown land where i can shoot up to 800 yards safely and legally and save the 4-5 hundred dollar yearly fee. If you don't like it to bad i could care less.
Now you can legally target shoot on crown land, just give it time, and as more and more people get tired of the messes left by irresponsible target shooters, more and more crown land will be closed to target shooters. And no matter how well you clean up after yourself, it won't matter, there are enough slobs around leaving messes, to ruin it for everyone. And while many ranges currently charge $100-$200 per year, when there is no crown land left to legally target shoot on, you can rest assured, that the supply and demand will result in membership fees increasing.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Now you can legally target shoot on crown land, just give it time
Yup, only a matter of time...
Old 05-28-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Now you can legally target shoot on crown land, just give it time, and as more and more people get tired of the messes left by irresponsible target shooters, more and more crown land will be closed to target shooters. And no matter how well you clean up after yourself, it won't matter, there are enough slobs around leaving messes, to ruin it for everyone. And while many ranges currently charge $100-$200 per year, when there is no crown land left to legally target shoot on, you can rest assured, that the supply and demand will result in membership fees increasing.
If the PTB or Government really wanted to make responsible and trained shooters look bad,
they could just permit import of huge quantities of low priced surplus rifles and steel case and Berdan ammo.

Testosterone, lack of safety training and peer guidance and example will take care of the rest,
and the Government can then step in to save the Country with regulation and taxes.
“The technique is as old as politics itself. It is the Hegelian Dialectic of bringing about change in a three-step process:
Thesis, Antithesis and Synthesis.

The first step (thesis) is to create a problem.
The second step (antithesis) is to generate opposition to the problem (fear, panic and hysteria).
The third step (synthesis) is to offer the solution to the problem created by step one:
A change which would have been impossible to impose upon the people
without the proper psychological conditioning achieved in stages one and two.”
https://www.fhu.com/hegelian.html

AKA ‘never let a crisis go to waste.’ Rahm Emanuel.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:10 PM

Absolutely not!