Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-11-2019, 04:51 PM

Cool Taps for scope bases

Got into a pickle with an older rifle and had a B-- ting time getting the plug out, but thanks goodness a neighbor had a 6x48 tap to clean up the threads. Where does a person by Sets of taps for 6x48 and 8x40 scope base screw holes.. Is there a placed in Edmonton?? Iam a hobby Smith and this could have cost me a trip to the city or worse??? Thanks for any info... Iam a millwright by trade and this gun stuff is alittlle different from what I have dealt with, thanks for any info. !! KCOUTFiT
Old 05-11-2019, 05:42 PM

Our local greggs distributors carries all the taps needed for a hobby gunsmith.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:05 PM

I am surprised to hear that Gregg Distributors carries taps that the gun trade uses, if indeed they do this is good news. My suggestion would be to take a look at Brownell's Inc web site and you will find many offerings in the 6-48 and 8-40 pitch, I know it hurts a bit but always buy their premium taps over the standard carbon variety if you can swing it. David.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:29 PM
Banned

Any machining supply company should carry them. They are fairly common taps, not just in the firearms world. 8-40 was commonly used in RC vehicles for years until it went mostly metric.

For my previous purposes, Home Depot grade taps got me through but it would really suck to have an action ruined because of a cheap tap and die set. Spend the money and buy quality.

I was always told to buy what you can afford, don't just think of the tool, think of what you're using it on.the difference between a $10 tap and a $30 tap just might save you hundreds.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:36 AM

Default Local greggs

Our local place carries not only the correct pitch but also types ( plug, bottoming, taper types) 6-48 and 8-40 are not only used on guns. Ymmv
Old 05-12-2019, 08:24 AM

Thumbs up Taps !!

Thanks for the help, will source out a few places, and look at brownells also. Yes quality tools are worth the money. !! KC.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:44 PM

I have an unused 8-40 with pilot I could sell ya.

Bought two, used one for a fourth hole on my 788 the other week, worked well enough for me.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:58 AM

Thumbs up Taps'

With the help of another AO member, I was able to get the taps need in Edmonton (S. side)@ MSI was a decent price, but took 2-days to get-in !! Good people to deal with. Thanks' Rick.!!