Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 04:20 PM

Default Pretty happy about the important changes

I think things are on the right path to doing more for the resident hunter. Happy to see they will limit folks to holding resident license here or elsewhere but not two places at the same time. That is long overdue. Also long overdue is to have black bear seasons close early in some areas and have them open later in others. Also in favour of being able to produce paper or electronic copies of licenses, overalll very pleased with 2019 changes and the proposed change for 2020 where you must purchase the wildlife certificate prior to entering draws. Well done all around, small steps forward but progression in the right direction.

LC
Old 05-24-2019, 04:42 PM
Banned

Shortening up bear season is rediculous.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Shortening up bear season is rediculous.

Why so ?
Old 05-24-2019, 04:55 PM

Very excited about the extended bear season down south.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:05 PM

Under the changes many spring seasons were extended to June 15th, fall seasons were shortened to end of October last year I believe?

LC
Old 05-24-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose slayer10 View Post
Very excited about the extended bear season down south.
Remember it starts next spring (2020) not this spring

LC
Old 05-24-2019, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Why so ?
Too many bears, too few moose in 404/406/408 where the April 1 to May 15 spring season will now be one month shorter then the rest of the province. No supplemental either. Now ending earlier in the fall too.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Too many bears, too few moose in 404/406/408 where the April 1 to May 15 spring season will now be one month shorter then the rest of the province. No supplemental either. Now ending earlier in the fall too.

Yep, and with all the snow we had this year, it made hunting in those zones tough in April. Would be nice for an extended season at least until the end of May
Old 05-24-2019, 06:50 PM
Banned

Very few bears get killed in April in the 400’s i’d bet
Old 05-24-2019, 08:43 PM

Antlerless WT in 330 is now November only for Rifle. This should help populations immensely as there isn’t a 2.5 month season now.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Know 404/406 well. More grizz, less blacks might explain some of this.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-24-2019, 09:22 PM
Banned

It would appear that a lot of special people should have payed more attention to differentiate between what a male goat and a female goat are.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:37 PM
Banned

How does the word "closed" , "special licence" and shorter seasons do more for resident hunters ?
Old 05-25-2019, 06:28 AM

About time. This should limit the amount of people jumping from province to province.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
About time. This should limit the amount of people jumping from province to province.
Now if we could only put nonresidents on a draw system for all our big game in alberta or better yet put sheep, mule deer, pronghorn, moose, and goat on a resident tag only and have whitetail the only nonresident tag available but on a draw only like Saskatchewan.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:18 AM

The mandatory harvest report will accomplish very little, as long as the unregulated hunters are exempt. In some wmus, unregulated hunters kill a significant number of certain species.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Until this is actually enforced there will be no difference.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The mandatory harvest report will accomplish very little, as long as the unregulated hunters are exempt. In some wmus, unregulated hunters kill a significant number of certain species.

Yep. Moose in particular. Awesome that some of us wait 6-12 years to hunt them while contributing to the provincial coffers isn't it?
Old 05-25-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Whoa whoa whoa, we don’t speak of the elephant in the room. That puts people in banned camp lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2019, 09:56 PM

I see it as less opportunity for those that have to buy hunting licences with bag limits and hunt during posted seasons. Not happy with the last government granting more hunting rights for non licenced hunters. Used to actively participate voluntarily for surveys, I now question why?
Old 05-26-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
now if we could only put nonresidents on a draw system for all our big game in alberta or better yet put sheep, mule deer, pronghorn, moose, and goat on a resident tag only and have whitetail the only nonresident tag available but on a draw only like saskatchewan.
this!!
Old 05-26-2019, 09:25 AM

Has anyone noticed that only 3 draws are available for Suffield Antlerless Elk this year? Last year there was 6. Yet this drastic reduction wasn't mentioned in the 'Important Changes' section.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Now if we could only put nonresidents on a draw system for all our big game in alberta or better yet put sheep, mule deer, pronghorn, moose, and goat on a resident tag only and have whitetail the only nonresident tag available but on a draw only like Saskatchewan.
You want to eliminate ALL outfitting for anything but Whitetails?

Or are you focused on the 1% of licences used by Hunter host guests?

Quote:

A significant application of mandatory harvest reports is to allow the new Outfitter allocation policy to have the data required for transfer of unused Resident Allowable Harvest to Outfitter Harvest.

This is much less about wildlife management and much more about $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
I see it as less opportunity for those that have to buy hunting licences with bag limits and hunt during posted seasons. Not happy with the last government granting more hunting rights for non licenced hunters. Used to actively participate voluntarily for surveys, I now question why?
Yes, you see the light.

Being happy about further reduced hunting opportunity for Licenced hunters seems rather odd to me.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-26-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
x3 I sure am tired of watching TV hunting shows of non-residents doing their *annual* pronghorn antelope hunts in Alberta, while I'm cooling my heels for 10+ years.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
x3 I sure am tired of watching TV hunting shows of non-residents doing their *annual* pronghorn antelope hunts in Alberta, while I'm cooling my heels for 10+ years.
There is nothing stopping you from going hunting with an outfitter. If I was going to pay that kind of money though it sure wouldn't be for hunting Antelope in Alberta.

As far as where they are going with these hunting regs, I have said it before, the poaching, habitat destruction, disease, predation, weather and UNREGULATED hunting all have far larger impacts on game numbers than the combined take of licensed hunters, including outfitters. If a way isn't found to limit native hunting, which just got worse with the Metis extension, we won't have anything left to hunt on crown land. It will be private land hunting only.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think things are on the right path to doing more for the resident hunter. Happy to see they will limit folks to holding resident license here or elsewhere but not two places at the same time. That is long overdue. Also long overdue is to have black bear seasons close early in some areas and have them open later in others. Also in favour of being able to produce paper or electronic copies of licenses, overalll very pleased with 2019 changes and the proposed change for 2020 where you must purchase the wildlife certificate prior to entering draws. Well done all around, small steps forward but progression in the right direction.

LC

What a bunch of feces....

Years after progress towards including real public engagement was eliminated, significantly due to the ABA rep leading the charge to have all discussions within AGPAC be bound by non-disclosure agreements, with NO Recording of minutes allowed...

and you are proud of this progress?

Wildlife Policy - still unfinished.
Allocation Policy - still unfinished.
Outfitter Policy - still unfinished.
Draw system revisions - still unfinished.
And many more....

Any "small steps" forward are being lost to time.
The world is moving much faster than F&W and AGPAC.

The state of Hunting in Alberta has returned to the Dark Ages thanks to those that think this effort by F&W and AGPAC is something good.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-26-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
What a bunch of feces....

Years after progress towards including real public engagement was eliminated, significantly due to the ABA rep leading the charge to have all discussions within AGPAC be bound by non-disclosure agreements, with NO Recording of minutes allowed...

and you are proud of this progress?

Wildlife Policy - still unfinished.
Allocation Policy - still unfinished.
Outfitter Policy - still unfinished.
Draw system revisions - still unfinished.
And many more....

Any "small steps" forward are being lost to time.
The world is moving much faster than F&W and AGPAC.

The state of Hunting in Alberta has returned to the Dark Ages thanks to those that think this effort by F&W and AGPAC is something good.
With some of the policies that we have I predict there is going to be large increases in poaching. The first nation and metis harvest "rights" are completely unfair and it is stealing opportunity from the law abiding majority. Some of the outfitting policies are also very poorly managed and APOS is worst of it. How can we expect hunters to play by the rules when the competing entities are getting preferential treatment.

If a person who legally must buy a wild life certificate to hunt got charged for hunting on a reserve and decided to go fund me route, they would get huge sums of money donated for legal fees.

My prediction is there will be at some point in time a bit of a revolution due to the mismanagement of our wildlife resources.
This is all on the way to private hunting. Pay to hunt will be where we land if the mismanagement continues.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There is nothing stopping you from going hunting with an outfitter. If I was going to pay that kind of money though it sure wouldn't be for hunting Antelope in Alberta.

As far as where they are going with these hunting regs, I have said it before, the poaching, habitat destruction, disease, predation, weather and UNREGULATED hunting all have far larger impacts on game numbers than the combined take of licensed hunters, including outfitters. If a way isn't found to limit native hunting, which just got worse with the Metis extension, we won't have anything left to hunt on crown land. It will be private land hunting only.

You can hire an outfitter, but as a resident, you can't use the outfitter's allocation, you still need to draw the tag.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
You can hire an outfitter, but as a resident, you can't use the outfitter's allocation, you still need to draw the tag.
I did not know that. For sure I would be going to Wyoming, the Dakotas or a host of other places for Trophy antelope anyhow. Bigger horns, more antelope and a pretty inexpensive hunt, can combine with another animal for very little more. If you book an Elk hunt a lot of places will throw in Antelope for nothing or next to it.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-26-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Exactly and that were part of the problem lies most people think you can just hire an Outfitter in Alberta well you can't for certain species.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread