Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-25-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Well knock me over with a feather......I called the Shawnessy Canadian Tire not 5 minutes ago, I spoke to "Sylvan", and they have three Tikka T3's in 300 Win Mag with the black synthetic stock and blue barrel, no steel sights....$629 + tax....
I think it's awesome that you actually called a store in an attempt to prove a anonymous poster on the internet wrong!
Old 05-26-2019, 08:31 AM

How about a Seekins Havak or Christensen Ridgeline. When you start throwing numbers around like $2700 for the Artic, personally I’d look at other rifles. Or even better I would get one built.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:35 AM

There's a brand new Seiko barvarian 270 win on this site 1900 bucks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2019, 08:46 AM

My main hunting rifle is a Tikka T3 s/s chambered in 270win, rugged, reliable, great trigger, not too heavy for all the mountain hunting I do, accurate. I've been using it the past 12 seasons, strictly mountain hunting and it's held up very well. Unless you want to for aesthetic reasons there is no reason to change out the stock for a heavier Bell and Carlson. Pick the rifle that fits you best, you'll be more comfortable shooting it and as result you'll shoot it better.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:48 AM

If you really want a Sako stainless/laminate(Greywolf) and you are patient/not in a big hurry(hunting season is still 4 months away)keep an eye on the classifieds here,gunnutz,Town Post etc....they come up for sale gently used quite regularly for well under $2k
Old 05-26-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSB View Post
My understanding is that major practical difference between the Sako and the Tikka is that the Tikka has one length of action for all calibers and the Sako has different length action for long and short calibers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
and tikkas have a two position safety... Sako have a two position with a seperate bolt unlock button. this is not present on the tikka.
Tikka s NOT a Sako...... not even close.
The only thing they have in common is made under the same roof.
Not to bash on Tikka fanboys,admittedly they have a well earned reputation as good reliable shooters in a mid-priced rifle,.....but they ain’t no Sako...different action,different mag,fit and finish/woodwork overall quality etc is much nicer on a Sako......that’s like saying a Chevette is the same thing as a Corvette,lol 😂
Old 05-26-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Don’t waste your money on a T3x Arctic. Ugliest rifle Tikka makes. Follow elk11’s recommendation. I just wish Bell & Carlson made a LH Tikka stock.
doesn't the arctic have a different extractor?
Old 05-26-2019, 11:18 AM

Big diferance between the sako and the tikka , the extractor on the tikka does not engage the shell untill the bolt is locked up ,could make for a huge jaming fumble of sorts in a dangerous game scenario . If you have the money go for the sako , but hell go have a close look at the two and you will see .
Old 05-26-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzy View Post
Big diferance between the sako and the tikka , the extractor on the tikka does not engage the shell untill the bolt is locked up ,could make for a huge jaming fumble of sorts in a dangerous game scenario . If you have the money go for the sako , but hell go have a close look at the two and you will see .
Have you ever had a jam with a Tikka? I have owned four of them, and no jams. I also haven't had an issue with ejected cases hitting the scope, and falling back into the action causing a jam with my Sako rifles, but some people have.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Have you ever had a jam with a Tikka? I have owned four of them, and no jams. I also haven't had an issue with ejected cases hitting the scope, and falling back into the action causing a jam with my Sako rifles, but some people have.
I had the issue with my empty shells hitting the scope and bouncing back all I did was change the scope ring height easy peasy

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Not to bash on Tikka fanboys,admittedly they have a well earned reputation as good reliable shooters in a mid-priced rifle,.....but they ain’t no Sako...different action,different mag,fit and finish/woodwork overall quality etc is much nicer on a Sako......that’s like saying a Chevette is the same thing as a Corvette,lol 😂

Honest question here. Are Sako A7 mags different than those in the Tikka T3x? I thought both were pretty similar.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:12 PM

Default We got some employee breaks at WSS

First thing I did after qualifying for employee discount was order a T3 Hunter in 30-06. I had owned and shot only a .270 up until then but something about the smooth action and very reasonable price drew me to the T3. Was not disappointed with trigger or the accuracy right out of the box was good for 3/8 on a good day and 1/2 inch when I was my usual self. Hunted it a lot for 4-5 years and had the reloads just dialed in for it when rumors of being laid off at WSS were circulating so to get my last 4-5 deals done before officially hearing about my job position I ordered my Leupold Sako and Beretta staff discounts January 2nd.
My Sako choice was the same 30-06 but in A7 stainless format. Put the same Leupold VX3 Long range 30 mm 4.5 -14 X40 on it as the T3 was wearing.
First time out was disappointed as the T3 hand loads didn't shoot nearly as well in the A7. Took a month of playing with the load to get the same results in the A7 before before selling the T3.
Although I was happy with t3 the additional features on the A7 (3 way safety and locking magazine) were worth it to me. Is it a Bavarian no not even close but mid range between the T3 and high end Sakos is a great little compromise at a reasonable price point in the A7.

p.s. for all the flack the plastic mags in tikka take I have never seen one fail in 5 years at WSS. Salesman (Terry) who was the rep at the time invited all of us to try to break one of those cheap plastic mags by jumping on it. No effect at all although 5-6 of us tried. Just going by memory I think the T3 mag was all plastic whereas the A7 mag had metal reinforcement along the wear edges but I would have to go look to be sure.

Last edited by wwbirds; 05-26-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
First thing I did after qualifying for employee discount was order a T3 Hunter in 30-06. I had owned and shot only a .270 up until then but something about the smooth action and very reasonable price drew me to the T3. Was not disappointed with trigger or the accuracy right out of the box was good for 3/8 on a good day and 1/2 inch when I was my usual self. Hunted it a lot for 4-5 years and had the reloads just dialed in for it when rumors of being laid off at WSS were circulating so to get my last 4-5 deals done before officially hearing about my job position I ordered my Leupold Sako and Beretta staff discounts January 2nd.
My Sako choice was the same 30-06 but in A7 stainless format. Put the same Leupold VX3 Long range 30 mm 4.5 -14 X40 on it as the T3 was wearing.
First time out was disappointed as the T3 hand loads didn't shoot nearly as well in the A7. Took a month of playing with the load to get the same results in the A7 before before selling the T3.
Although I was happy with t3 the additional features on the A7 (3 way safety and locking magazine) were worth it to me. Is it a Bavarian no not even close but mid range between the T3 and high end Sakos is a great little compromise at a reasonable price point in the A7.

p.s. for all the flack the plastic mags in tikka take I have never seen one fail in 5 years at WSS. Salesman (Terry) who was the rep at the time invited all of us to try to break one of those cheap plastic mags by jumping on it. No effect at all although 5-6 of us tried. Just going by memory I think the T3 mag was all plastic whereas the A7 mag had metal reinforcement along the wear edges but I would have to go look to be sure.
Good post right there ^^^
Old 05-26-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
\

This comment is made in good humour and is not intended to be snarky.

Agreed, a Sako and a Tikka are not the same thing. I have both and they are both equally accurate. They succeed in getting the bullet from one place to another.
To take your vehicle analogy further both a Corvette and a Chevette will get you from one place to another One will look better and be more fun and have pride of ownership. The other will be cheaper,

Given my age and budget if I were buying either I would probably go for the Tikka and sadly the Chevette.

Now if I had a choice and they were free It would be a different story.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:27 PM

I have had many Tikkas and even more Sakos.

While Sako definitely has better features, I would not say that the Chevette / Corvette is accurate. I would say that qualifies as hyperbole.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:38 PM

I like my Tikkas and have never owned a Sako.

I have a T3 stainless in the laminated stock in 223 Rem. Bedded, pillared, & all plastic parts replaced and a titanium recoil lug. It is silly accurate and I enjoy it a lot. My one peeve with it is the long action 223 but I accept that. For my budget and fit I have no complaints. A friend has the same rifle in 243 and likes it a lot.

I also bought a T3 in 308 for my son ( got it for $650 at RD CDN Tire ) and I put in a B&C medalist stock. It added a bit of weight but the fit and feel are far superior to the original nylon stock. Each time I handle his rifle I am surprised at how nice it fits and feels.

My 2 cents...

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 05-26-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Honest question here. Are Sako A7 mags different than those in the Tikka T3x? I thought both were pretty similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
I like my Tikkas and have never owned a Sako.

I have a T3 stainless in the laminated stock in 223 Rem. Bedded, pillared, & all plastic parts replaced and a titanium recoil lug. It is silly accurate and I enjoy it a lot. My one peeve with it is the long action 223 but I accept that. For my budget and fit I have no complaints. A friend has the same rifle in 243 and likes it a lot.

I also bought a T3 in 308 for my son ( got it for $650 at RD CDN Tire ) and I put in a B&C medalist stock. It added a bit of weight but the fit and feel are far superior to the original nylon stock. Each time I handle his rifle I am surprised at how nice it fits and feels.

My 2 cents...
Soooooo...in other words....Tikkas are awesome rifles after you spend another $1000+ to make it right,lol 😝
Old 05-27-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Soooooo...in other words....Tikkas are awesome rifles after you spend another $1000+ to make it right,lol 😝

I never said they were awesome nor did I spend close to $1000. Maybe $200 on the 223 and just a stock swap on my son's.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend

Last edited by teledogs; 05-27-2019 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:05 AM

Listed on CGN (NOT MY LISTING)

Sako BlackBear in .308win. It has a Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40mm with the HSR-4 reticle mounted in a set of Leupold QD ring/base combo (again this returns to zero within half a MOA by my experiences). Very light and clear scope, not too concerned about selling the scope. 2nd owner, some slight rub marks on the stock near the sling swivel stud. I already regret posting this rifle for sale but it is redundant in my safe.

I will sell the Rifle/scope/rings for $2500
Rifle w/rings $1700
Scope only $800
Old 05-27-2019, 11:40 AM

Another listing on cgn, again not mine...

Sako 85 BlackBear in 308 win., bought it new, action nicely bedded, shot only around 20 rounds, in excellent if not like new condition, 3-shot group under 0.5" with Hornady 165 grain SST.
Come with everything from factory, including original box. Sako optilock and 1" rings, scope not included.
1720$ shipped to provinces, insurance extra if desired.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:

The T3x addressed many of the complaints of the T3. Hollow stock, poor ejection port, plastic bolt shroud, and crap recoil pad. A couple more as well I think. I didn't care for the T3 but just bought a T3x, my first Tikka, a couple of months ago in a varmint caliber. Solid gun.

For a similar or lower price it's a superior gun to the xbolt imo.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:40 PM

There are some instances were someone could pick up a round from the mag and push it into the chamber with out locking it up. causing the case to miss the ejectors and then grab another round( with one already in the chamber) hence the jam in the t3 . Now if you take a sako a7 the ejectors will engage the shell while picking the round up from the mag , you can cycle all your rounds out in a sako with out having to lock the bolt up.
Dont get me wrong i love my t3x in 7mm and 243 win but it is not the rifle i would be carrying into the bush if i was after dangerous game and literly only for that reason .
Old 05-27-2019, 03:46 PM

There are some instances were someone could pick up a round from the mag and push it into the chamber with out locking it up. causing the case to miss the ejectors and then grab another round( with one already in the chamber) hence the jam in the t3 . Now if you take a sako a7 the ejectors will engage the shell while picking the round up from the mag , you can cycle all your rounds out in a sako with out having to lock the bolt up.
Dont get me wrong i love my t3x in 7mm and 243 win but it is not the rifle i would be carrying into the bush if i was after dangerous game and literly only for that reason .
Old 05-27-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzy View Post
So how many jams have you actually witnessed in T-3s?
Old 05-27-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
The T3x addressed many of the complaints of the T3. Hollow stock, poor ejection port, plastic bolt shroud, and crap recoil pad. A couple more as well I think. I didn't care for the T3 but just bought a T3x, my first Tikka, a couple of months ago in a varmint caliber. Solid gun.

For a similar or lower price it's a superior gun to the xbolt imo.
I agree with every word of the post above. The T3X is just a flat-out very solid rifle. I don't know what a person could find fault with for the price. The T3 had issues, but they sure seem to have been addressed quite nicely.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:36 PM

I like the ejection port on the old t3 it was exactly right
Old 05-27-2019, 06:37 PM

Default Sako A7 Roughtech Pro

I recently purchased a Sako, i must say im in love i bought it in a 6.5 Creedmoor. At 500 yards im shooting half inch groups steady, using Hornady Match 140g. Im looking into putting a muzzle break on her too but not to sure
Old 05-27-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohemmaway View Post
I recently purchased a Sako, i must say im in love i bought it in a 6.5 Creedmoor. At 500 yards im shooting half inch groups steady, using Hornady Match 140g. Im looking into putting a muzzle break on her too but not to sure
1/2" groups at 500 yards? Please post some of those 1/2" groups from 500 yards.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohemmaway View Post
Yup, ok bud!
If ya wanna blow smoke, Please step outside and have a dart..........

Cuz if you’re doing what ya claim you should be heading to Bisley, and camp Perry. There’s guys investing many times what your factory rifle cost on full on custom guns that can’t get groups like you claim.......

FWIW a 500yd, 2.5” group is, 1/2moa give or take. 1” is roughly 0.20moa, so you’ve got a rifle putting rounds into about 0.1 MOA, cripes that’s likely a world record......

Sounds Like a guy we had here that was deadly on pie plates, offhand at 500 yds.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-27-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Yup, ok bud!
If ya wanna blow smoke, Please step outside and have a dart..........

Cuz if you’re doing what ya claim you should be heading to Bisley, and camp Perry. There’s guys investing many times what your factory rifle cost on full on custom guns that can’t get groups like you claim.......

FWIW a 500yd, 2.5” group is, 1/2moa give or take. 1” is roughly 0.20moa, so you’ve got a rifle putting rounds into about 0.1 MOA, cripes that’s likely a world record......

Sounds Like a guy we had here that was deadly on pie plates, offhand at 500 yds.
thats what i ment MOA lol im pretty to to this my bad.