Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2019, 03:14 PM

Default Little advice on Evinrude changeover

Hello Everyone, long time reader, first general post.

Wondering if anyone out there has some experience changing over outboards controls? also OMC hydraulic tilt trim hookups? Have a thread going on iboats.com as well but thought I might luck out and find some local help as well.

My Evinrude 35hp has seen it's final trip to the lake, so I picked up another Evinrude 28hp. I'm hoping to just swap out the gear and throttle cables from my controls and hook to the new motor. Are these controls pretty standard?

I have done a little research on the ignition as well and think I should be able to just plug and play from current ignition as well?

Final question and I have attached some pictures as well for this. Looking to hook the new motor up to the existing Prestolite tilt/trim lift. Haven't picked up new motor yet so all I have is a picture. If these holes don't exist in the new motor could a guy just drill them in before attaching outboard to the boat?

Any assistance is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190522-110357.jpg (20.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190524-122206.jpg (15.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190524-122224.jpg (16.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190524-122231.jpg (13.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-24-2019, 06:52 PM

I have an 30 and 35 Johnson outboard motors, look to be same vintage. They are all OMC built, and mine are tiller models and do not have the holes. That being said, the 20-35 hp models will all be the same parts, just different carbs / intake manifolds / reed valves make the power head hp difference. If you are handy at all, you could swap the transom support from old motor to new, they should be the same part.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:04 PM

Oh I never thought of that idea.

Do you think the controls would be the same? I am picking up motor on Friday and then we are headed to a lake nearby for a week of fishing. We are hoping to just remove the old one and drop the new one on just to get us mobile on the water for the week.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:13 PM

Hookups for throttle and ignition should be able to swap, holes for throttle cable bracket should be on all housings. Ignition will probably require wire splicing. Could get you by till you can deal with the tilt.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:16 PM

Also, if you can make sure the carb from your old motor is clean and get a new set of reed valves for good measure, you can swap carb, intake, reed valves to make that motor 35 hp pretty easy.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the ideas.

I think we are going to just use the controls that come with the motor on recommendation from my mechanic pal. Might mean a touch more work but probably easier in the long run. Hoping the ignition is in the new controls for ease of hookup as well.

Going to bring a little 9.9 just as a backup in case it turns out to be a bigger job that we expect so at least we can fish while we work on it.

Thanks again Timeoff.

Tight lines.