Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2019, 05:05 AM

Default Upgrading to projector headlights on truck?

Hi, guys. Looking to upgrade my headlights. I have the dreaded Dodge 2nd gen lights. I have polished the lens, cleaned them out from the inside, tried different bulbs, and added an upgraded wiring harness with relay. They still suck. Badly.

When traffic is oncoming, I lose view of the road and the and end up driving nearly blind. Led lights, fog lights, auxiliary lights are a non starter. I don't want to blind oncoming traffic, and getting flashed gets old quick.

I'd like to get an aftermarket housing with a projector for HID bulbs. I figured it would be easy to read a couple reviews and pick something, but it seems that some are not designed for HID, but halogens, and reviews are scarce. Can't figure out whether bad reviews are the result of poor installation, technical knowledge or using the wrong light source, or just a poor housing. Likewise I can't figure out whether the positive reviews are by the same people who just want lights that look cool, and shine purple...

Mainly need a good low beam. Wouldn't mind one that has a shield that drops down for a high beam, and/or a good halogen for highs. And it needs to have a good pattern, with adjustability.

Any recommendations? Reading up on it, and I'm more confused than ever.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-11-2019, 07:36 AM

I suspect the main reason you are driving blind is other drivers are running after market too bright headlights which in my opinion should be outlawed, they are a menace on the roads.Most people it seems make matters even worse by not aligning them properly .
Be kind to other drivers and replace your headlights with OEM lights that can be had from Amazon for a reasonable price. I had the second gen dodge and did this and they worked great
Old 05-11-2019, 07:51 AM

If a housing isn't designed for HID or LED lights they generally don't work well. The reflectors inside won't give desired effect. They may be brighter but not giving light where you want.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:11 AM

Have a number of people I know who tried the various "Projector" type headlights. Spent big bucks and almost all ended up going back to OEM lights. Lots of issues with burnt lights, fried wires, lights flickering off and on etc. Fair number of issues from the Cops. New lights were not significantly better for night vision.

There is such a thing a lights that are too white, it actually reduces your ability to see and is tremendously hard on oncoming drivers. I notice more and more trucks with these really obnoxious bright white and projector lights, I hope the Cops start cracking down hard as they are a menace on the road.

On my 96 Dodge I keep the lenses polished and clear and installed high performance Sylvania Halogen bulbs that have a touch of yellow to the light. I tried whiter Xenon Halogens by the same maker, they don't provide as good vision on low beam and quite a bit worse on high beam.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:29 AM

Default Headlights

Check out LMC website.
https://www.performance-world.com/LE...hts-s/1984.htm

Last edited by operator john; 05-11-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:38 AM

A great upgrade for the second gen dodge trucks is to install the factory sport headlight housings. You need the harness as well because the sport housings had 2 bulbs per side where the regulars only ran 2 total. It is a major upgrade combined with a good Sylvania silverstar bulbs (or PIAA, etc...). It won’t be as good as a projector/hid retrofit but it’s a big improvement with factory parts that won’t break the bank or blind other drivers.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdsl View Post
A great upgrade for the second gen dodge trucks is to install the factory sport headlight housings. You need the harness as well because the sport housings had 2 bulbs per side where the regulars only ran 2 total. It is a major upgrade combined with a good Sylvania silverstar bulbs (or PIAA, etc...). It won’t be as good as a projector/hid retrofit but it’s a big improvement with factory parts that won’t break the bank or blind other drivers.
Didn't know about this one. Sounds like a pretty good and fairly easy upgrade. How hard is it to put in the different wiring harness?
Old 05-11-2019, 10:18 AM

Wink old school solution?

These sufficed prior to the invention of hurricane lanterns.
IMO: ignore all solutions that do not have SAE and/or DOT approval. No matter what others will say, automotive light sources lacking SAE certification are the predominant source of visual impairment to other drivers. Incorrectly installed and aimed headlights are next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg torches.jpg (37.4 KB, 54 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-11-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Have a number of people I know who tried the various "Projector" type headlights. Spent big bucks and almost all ended up going back to OEM lights. Lots of issues with burnt lights, fried wires, lights flickering off and on etc. Fair number of issues from the Cops. New lights were not significantly better for night vision.

There is such a thing a lights that are too white, it actually reduces your ability to see and is tremendously hard on oncoming drivers. I notice more and more trucks with these really obnoxious bright white and projector lights, I hope the Cops start cracking down hard as they are a menace on the road.

On my 96 Dodge I keep the lenses polished and clear and installed high performance Sylvania Halogen bulbs that have a touch of yellow to the light. I tried whiter Xenon Halogens by the same maker, they don't provide as good vision on low beam and quite a bit worse on high beam.
Agreed.

Some of the "white" ones actually look blue, and some bulbs create such a loose/scattered pattern that they blind everyone in their path.

And then there are those folks to do a lift/levelling kit on their vehicle and forget to aim the headlights afterwards, as well... Sorry, had to vent there...
Old 05-11-2019, 11:14 AM
Banned

I had the same problem with my 2nd gen dodge. Went through 2 aftermarket replacement headlights/ housings before going back to factory. Take my advice and save money by purchasing new factory housings
Old 05-11-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I suspect the main reason you are driving blind is other drivers are running after market too bright headlights which in my opinion should be outlawed, they are a menace on the roads.Most people it seems make matters even worse by not aligning them properly .
Be kind to other drivers and replace your headlights with OEM lights that can be had from Amazon for a reasonable price. I had the second gen dodge and did this and they worked great
Not that other lights are too bright, mostly it's that 2nd gen single bulb housings, and the lens suck so bad.

Of course some people run HID in a reflector housing which sucks for everyone; scatters light and blinds others on the road.

Pureblood!
Old 05-11-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Not so much too white, but too blue. Over 4300 Kelvin HID lights go past daylight, and get into the blue spectrum. Looks bright to oncoming traffic as our eyes are sensitive to blue light, but cuts down on usable light.

Not very good for contrast either when it's too blue. Stuff in the red or yellow range works much better. Pretty easy to test this for yourself using filters, and trying to find your way around in the dark with a flashlight.

Pureblood!
Old 05-11-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdsl View Post
Not off the table, and I think that a little bleed isn't such a bad thing compared to very bright with sharp cut off.

Probably not going to go with PIAA though. There are a few better. The Silverstar are probably one of the better easily available replacements.

I do have a bit of an issue with the low power available with stock bulbs though. The 9004 are only commonly available in 45/65, low/high respectively.

Pureblood!
Old 05-11-2019, 04:49 PM

https://absolutehid.ca/

I'm ordering a set for my Dodge, they have great reviews on many 4x4 forums world wide, the upgrades are relatively cheap and the company is Canadian
Old 05-12-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
https://absolutehid.ca/

I'm ordering a set for my Dodge, they have great reviews on many 4x4 forums world wide, the upgrades are relatively cheap and the company is Canadian
I could do a retrofit, but everyone on the road will hate you, if you don't have a projector to get the cut off. That's why I'm specifically looking for different housings.

The reflectors that the truck comes with won't focus the light quite the same as the halogens. HID have 2 different bright spots due to the arc, instead of a glowing filament like halogens. The result is usually a poor beam pattern, scattered light, and blinding other drivers. You'd be tripling or quadrupling the light output, but much of it will be in everyone else's eyes.

Pureblood!
Old 05-12-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Didn't know about this one. Sounds like a pretty good and fairly easy upgrade. How hard is it to put in the different wiring harness?
Pretty easy to add in a wiring harness. You'd just be using the stock one as a signal, and direct wiring one to a power source like a power block, fuse box spare, or directly to battery. I have mine going to the battery.

Just need a 1-2 adapter harness. You buy both fairly easily or make your own. I believe guys modify them so both beams will be on, and on bright at the same time.

You also have to take a hole saw to the inner fender on older trucks to make room for the second bulb.

Pureblood!
Old 05-12-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:

Do you recall with brands of lights? Did they all go with HID systems? Would most of the problems be traceable to bad electronics or poor light housings?

Seems that it's the easy and cheap part of the equation to get decent electronics for the lights, now.

Pureblood!
Old 05-24-2019, 10:35 AM

Ordered up some Eagle Eyes projector/reflector combo 1 piece lights. According to all the info I could gather, and the fact that it comes with halogen bulbs, I plan on upgrading the projector side with an aftermarket bi-xenon kit. I've heard some complaints about not being able to aim each side of similar lights, so if I have a good projector that'll do both high and low beam, it will work well.

Starting to have some misgivings about all the hardware and stuff I will be modifying. Probably should have just got some 2 piece reflectors and ordered a whole pile of 100 W bulbs.

Wish me luck.

Anyone know if all the retrofit kits are universal; or will I have to measure the projector to see what fits when it comes in?

Pureblood!
Old 05-24-2019, 11:42 AM

Save your money on projector light's, worse than what came with your truck, 2001 Dodge 3500 dully with projector when I bought it, into the junk and stock lens back in, either had high with no low or the oposit impossible to adjust and no help from the maker's in California, tried different bulbs but was told to go higher than 65 watt as it would bugger the lens as they wern't designed for any thing brighter, you can get 65-85 Osram bulb's and rewire with relay directly from the battery, big difference, as stock wire harness does not have a very high voltage through the switch, Just my thought's to save you some coin.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny G1 View Post
Save your money on projector light's, worse than what came with your truck, 2001 Dodge 3500 dully with projector when I bought it, into the junk and stock lens back in, either had high with no low or the oposit impossible to adjust and no help from the maker's in California, tried different bulbs but was told to go higher than 65 watt as it would bugger the lens as they wern't designed for any thing brighter, you can get 65-85 Osram bulb's and rewire with relay directly from the battery, big difference, as stock wire harness does not have a very high voltage through the switch, Just my thought's to save you some coin.
There are a bunch of us with direct experience that have tried to warn the OP off the idea of projector lamps. He seems bound and determined to learn the lessons himself and spend the money to do it. Kind of makes me wonder why guys bother asking if they already know better than we do, have bought the marketing spiels and have decided to do it. Hope it works out for him but I really doubt it will.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny G1 View Post
Part of the reason I'm going with a bi-xenon kit. I've heard that some of the halogen projectors aren't too great. I'll go with a 35 W HID kit. It'll make less heat than a stock halogen bulb. Plus it'll have a different focusing lens as part of the retrofit.

Not sure if these would have problems with a high Watt halogen bulb. Maybe on the projector side, where it's more enclosed. Part of the reason I went with Eagle, though was because of the polycarbonate lens. They are supposed to be factory equivalent quality. Or close.

Already have a relay installed for my lights.

Pureblood!
Old 05-24-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
There are a bunch of us with direct experience that have tried to warn the OP off the idea of projector lamps. He seems bound and determined to learn the lessons himself and spend the money to do it. Kind of makes me wonder why guys bother asking if they already know better than we do, have bought the marketing spiels and have decided to do it. Hope it works out for him but I really doubt it will.
Thanks Dean. I appreciate the input, and why I pressed for more details. I realize that there is a pile of crap out there, but also some success stories.

There is some truly fantastic lighting out there, probably mostly on factory equipment, but I hope to emulate it.

Picking out some components that will work together, or at least should. Information is pretty low on these systems, but have seen and heard of some good lighting, mainly from retrofits on purchased separately housings, or stock housings. My stock housings however, don't have a suitable lens for that.

I'll make an attempt at it, and post my results. As either a warning or success story.

Pureblood!
Old 05-24-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Thanks Dean. I appreciate the input, and why I pressed for more details. I realize that there is a pile of crap out there, but also some success stories.

There is some truly fantastic lighting out there, probably mostly on factory equipment, but I hope to emulate it.

Picking out some components that will work together, or at least should. Information is pretty low on these systems, but have seen and heard of some good lighting, mainly from retrofits on purchased separately housings, or stock housings. My stock housings however, don't have a suitable lens for that.

I'll make an attempt at it, and post my results. As either a warning or success story.
It's all good. I really do hope it works great. I don't take advice worth a darn either so I get that you have done a bunch of research and believe u have come up with a better mouse trap. I would do exactly the same thing. Look forward to a successful result .
Old 05-24-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
It's all good. I really do hope it works great. I don't take advice worth a darn either so I get that you have done a bunch of research and believe u have come up with a better mouse trap. I would do exactly the same thing. Look forward to a successful result .
Thanks Dean. I hope I got it right. Gotta say I started having second thoughts when I ordered it. Kind of have a feeling it's going to be a pain that I'll throw too much money at.

Maybe not though. I hope... Lol!

Pureblood!