Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-26-2019, 11:00 AM

Default muzzleloaders flint or percussion

i am looking in Canada at shops online to find say a jaeger style 54 cal or larger
does anyone have any suggestions where to find such a beast??
What has happened to all the old custom muzzleloaders from the 1970s and 1980s are they still locked up in peoples safes? I would like to get into this type of shooting.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:06 AM

Good used BP, especially something like a Jaeger are hard to come by up here. Flintlock rifle is not a firearm in Canada or the US. you can order one and have it shipped by the US post office direct to you. No PAL required even. Pretty much same for Percussion except you need a PAL.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:22 PM

I'm a member of the Alberta Black Powder Association (ABPA) and if you are looking for flint or percussion, Cabelas.ca have them. Shooters Choice Ontario online have a good selection of Pedersoli flint and percussion rifle and pistols. That is where I bought mine. I shoot both flint and percussion. Smoke and flame.

If you are interested in joining the ABPA just type in the name and it will take you to their website. We shoot at various locations throughout the province.

Most dress in mountain man style costumes but is not mandatory.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Good used BP, especially something like a Jaeger are hard to come by up here. Flintlock rifle is not a firearm in Canada or the US. you can order one and have it shipped by the US post office direct to you. No PAL required even. Pretty much same for Percussion except you need a PAL.
You can actually but a flintlock without a pal?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:00 PM

QUOTE //You can actually but a flintlock without a pal? ///yes you can // as well you can take flint lock, percussion and inline to the US with out a permit so says A T F only required to buy your powder that side of the border as it is a explosive
Old 02-26-2019, 04:03 PM

You man also buy a flintlock with no PAL then change the lock to percussion
After which it becomes a firearm and you need to register it.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45/70/500 View Post
QUOTE //You can actually but a flintlock without a pal? ///yes you can // as well you can take flint lock, percussion and inline to the US with out a permit so says A T F only required to buy your powder that side of the border as it is a explosive
Does this apply to flintlock pistols as well? Not sure if anyone sells any.Thanks.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Does this apply to flintlock pistols as well? Not sure if anyone sells any.Thanks.
i am not sure about the flintlock requirements as for buying them there is a place in N/E calgary called Things Military he was selling flinter pistols with out a pal a couple yrs a go
Old 02-26-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
You man also buy a flintlock with no PAL then change the lock to percussion
After which it becomes a firearm and you need to register it.
register only if it is a pistol. No more long gun registrations. You do need a PAL to have a percussion, but not a flinter.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:35 PM

You have to have a PAL to purchase a flintlock pistol but not the flintlock rifle.

Shooters Choice Ontario sells flint and percussion pistols. I say Shooters Choice Ontario because there is also a Shooters Choice Alberta and they do not sell flinters or percussion.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:05 AM

We used to have at the least 20 different towns and cities in Alberta that had black powder shoots each and every year. So all the shooters plus those who didn’t go to the shoots, because they didn’t like competitive shooting; having guns. Where did they all go? The guns that is. You go to gun shows and see very very few muzzle loaders for sale, same with auctions, Access to Firearms, online ads and gun shops. It’s strange; maybe all the muzzleloaders got buried with their owners????
As for your finding a Jager for sale; good luck! About the only ones I’ve seen are in kit form from a mail order US firm; Track of the Wolf. Germanic Jager kits are available. Their kits require a lot of skill and workmanship and are not for the regular guy. Unless you find someone locally that’s willing to build it for you with all the bells and whistles; which most of the original ones had; it’ll cost you big bucks. Stuff like relief carving, wire inlays, engraving, making and installing a sliding wood patchbox, tuning the set triggers and lock and the myriad of skills just putting the whole thing together and finishing the metal and wood.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnrokon View Post
i am looking in Canada at shops online to find say a jaeger style 54 cal or larger
does anyone have any suggestions where to find such a beast??
What has happened to all the old custom muzzleloaders from the 1970s and 1980s are they still locked up in peoples safes? I would like to get into this type of shooting.
There are lots of 50's - 80's custom built BP guns sitting in closets of shooters long since retired from the BP sports: you just have to find them. Getting involved with the various provincial and local groups and asking questions is the best way to find such a beast.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:11 PM

I think Bilozir Fine Guns can order you just about any Pedersoli gun if you are willing to wait a bit. Pedersoli makes some excellent guns and does have a few Jager models IIRC. I think that would be your best bet.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:42 PM

Default Black Powder Rifles

You can also check with Hilfolk Musket Supply. They will also order a Pedersoli for you and have access to good used rifles. They are great people to deal with.