Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-04-2013, 10:58 PM

Sickly bow for 15 years now ,,,, except for coyote and wolf .
Old 11-05-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod Valley View Post
Sickly bow for 15 years now ,,,, except for coyote and wolf .
Sickly bow??? your bow has a bow bow?...lol.... kidding

Thats dedication good job...

Neil
Old 11-05-2013, 06:45 PM

Still trying to connect on my first animal.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-05-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Still trying to connect on my first animal.
2nd year in a row that I ate tag soup! Only got to get out three times, for a total of about 12-15hrs!
Hope next year I can take more time off
Old 11-05-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Sickly bow??? your bow has a bow bow?...lol.... kidding

Thats dedication good job...

Neil
OOopppps , it was a long cold day it the tree !!!! I'll write that spelling error off to frozen fingers !!!! Was -17 here today !!!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod Valley View Post
OOopppps , it was a long cold day it the tree !!!! I'll write that spelling error off to frozen fingers !!!! Was -17 here today !!!

...LOL knew what ya meant..yup thats chilly...was -18 here but wasnt in the stand till afternoon...sunset was very chilly but saw a shooter whitetail...with three does...any minute now...lol

Wishin ya the best

Neil
Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Will be at it right to the bitter end...
Old 11-06-2013, 09:01 AM

Only put the bow down for one day this year, won't do that again this season.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:53 AM

Well Im back from my 2 week work trip to NB, so anxious to get back it here in AB.

A practice session today with all the "cold weather clothing" on, and a quick trip to the stand to re-install the climbing sticks I removed before going away (thieves) and I hope to be sitting in a tree tomorrow. A stop at Cdn Tire for a case of heat packs is on the list too.

High hopes of filling my General WT tag. -12 degrees "ish" all weekend here in Cold Lake so I wont be too picky on filling a Sup doe tag quickly if one strolls by.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:31 AM

Default Still out there

Deer are starting to group - trying to ground stock some deer this year - Getting busted and learning, also helping a young fella learn the ropes a bit. He has a stand. Seen plenty of animals and the challenge continues.

Good luck to all
Old 11-16-2013, 04:29 PM

passed up on 2 elk cows and a wt buck 3x3 early season. with 3 days left before i go to work for 2 weeks i sit panicked
Old 11-18-2013, 07:37 AM

I am finally done freezing to death. I took this old deer with my bow on the weekend. Not a monster but I had pics of him for the last 4 years so I know he was at least 6 years old. I hit him low in the briskit at last light and had to finish him off in the morning with a rifle so that was a little disappointing but at least I was able to find him.

Last edited by RayM77; 11-18-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:27 AM

Nice Deer Stink...congrads..sorry about the shot...cold weather shooting is a challange... but at least you completed the job and got a good deer..

Good job

Neil
Old 11-18-2013, 08:44 AM

2nd year bow hunting. Took a small mule Buck sept 30. First deer kill with a bow.
Still use my rifle during rifle season because I like to walk and cover a lot of ground and different locations when its cold.
https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/photo...user=651675609
Old 11-18-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhammer View Post
I am finally done freezing to death. I took this old deer with my bow on the weekend. Not a monster but I had pics of him for the last 4 years so I know he was at least 6 years old. I hit him low in the briskit at last light and had to finish him off in the morning with a rifle so that was a little disappointing but at least I was able to find him.

That's a nice, mature deer. Congrats on arrowing him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preux86 View Post
2nd year bow hunting. Took a small mule Buck sept 30. First deer kill with a bow.
Still use my rifle during rifle season because I like to walk and cover a lot of ground and different locations when its cold.
https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/photo...user=651675609
Congrats as well Just can't see the pic without being a "facebooker".
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-18-2013, 02:48 PM

congrats on the deers guys, I was out today and froze my butt off, first November bow hunting, I gotta invest in some warmer clothes, tomorrow is probably gonna be my last day out so hopefully I can connect with something
Old 11-18-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhammer View Post
Nice Deer.........good job on finishing the job with the rifle, at least you located him and got it done!!!!!! Congrats S.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 AM

Default Cow Elk on the 13th

Got this one on the ground after stalking for over an hour and getting caught out in the open by the herd for 20min. I just froze (literally) and waited. She finally got here head down behind a small pine tree and I drew, stood up, took a small step back and let her fly. I did not have a range finder but counted 28 dbl steps to the spot where I connected. Found broken off arrow another 10 steps further but no blood. When home for dinner and came back 1hr later. Found blood trail past the broken arrow and found here 200m away on a gravel bar by the river.

I estimate my double lung shot was at 50yds.

Well worth the wait!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2878.JPG.jpg (49.4 KB, 87 views)
Old 11-19-2013, 12:04 PM

Killer spade - Nice elk. Congrats!
Old 11-20-2013, 12:52 AM

I'm still bowhunting ... although I have to decide which bow (xbow, recruve, compound) to use at different places for different species (elk, mule deer, wt deer) for the last 10 days. I can't believe its almost over again. I grabbed my bow on August 30th and haven't looked back since. All I know is that I won't be grabbing a rifle and won't be cold.

Check this out: THE BOMB!!!! (new this year for my setup) $90 at cabelas.

Worked very well the other night at -16. I never got cold after 3 hours, usually by sun down, my core is starting to get cold at those temps. Needs a few modifications (mostly adding options) but my seat stayed very warm and that heat transfered up my body. The slight smell also went up up and away from the deers noses.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:18 AM

cant see the pics of "The BomB" for some reason...but I am sure it is so much better than anything I can do in a stand....its Minus-26C here this morning...with a minus -37C wind chill...

Although I love my tree stand...my Stand days are over this year... A blind with a heater is looking real good about now... dont want to give up as the bucks are really doggin the doe's right now...

Saw a shooter last night...but he wouldnt still still...or maybe it was just me shivering...lol
Neil
Old 11-20-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
I'm still bowhunting ... although I have to decide which bow (xbow, recruve, compound) to use at different places for different species (elk, mule deer, wt deer) for the last 10 days. I can't believe its almost over again. I grabbed my bow on August 30th and haven't looked back since. All I know is that I won't be grabbing a rifle and won't be cold.

Worked very well the other night at -16. I never got cold after 3 hours, usually by sun down, my core is starting to get cold at those temps. Needs a few modifications (mostly adding options) but my seat stayed very warm and that heat transfered up my body. The slight smell also went up up and away from the deers noses.
Now that's a "Peter Heater"
Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 PM

Man you guys are really stayin' the game.

It's been up and down here for the last few weeks from the high 50s to the
mid 20s and with the wind and the dew points, cold.

Nice buck Stinkhammer.

I've picked up the the scatter gun for rifle deer season now that their running
dogs but may take the bow for a ride come late archery season in Jan.

Best of luck to all you Kanooks.
Keep warm.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 PM

Been a long season guys , to all of you sticking it out congrats to you , regardless if you tag out or not. Almost 200 hours in the stand this year , I've passed up a lot of bucks most guys would kill in a heart beat with a rifle ,,,, but with temps like what we had today , I'm almost ready to lower my expectations. Maybe a 140 or 150 will not be so bad. Getting frustrated , has been the toughest year ever for me!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 10:10 PM

Well I was in the tree stand this morning till this after noon. I didn't see a single deer. All I got was some cold toes.

Gordon
Old 11-21-2013, 08:34 AM

Tried to sit in stand yesterday...a brisk wind convinced me other wise...got down and started to go for a walk, maybe still hunt the area....got down and stared eye to eye with a pig Whitetail buck...dohhh...lol...he is probably in Sask now...lol

I have a mule doe tag, which I could have filled a zillion times...but I got a lot of table fare in the deepfreeze so dont know if I will use it...same with WT buck...seen a lot of them...Question my sanity on not shooting a couple but wanted a unique one...

Besides the nice bright sticky tags make awesome Xmas tree decorations...stick the wire in the tag.... fold and volia...perfect Xmas tree decoration ..comes with handy hanger...lol

Neil...
Old 11-21-2013, 08:55 AM

My son and I are still at it, largest buck rattled in a 140 net, passed up, seen bull moose, small bucks too just got to keep at it cuz you never know!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post

That's awesome, does it make any noise?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
That's awesome, does it make any noise?
not a sound
Old 11-29-2013, 09:55 AM

last day Tommorrow..supposed to be in the +C ..going to be nice in the stand..

Rifle hunters are gittin a little antcy and crazy....had a truck come blazin thru the field my stand is on...NO rifle hunting allowed there-posted...chasing a poor little yearling doe!!!

My buck came by later ..rattled and doing mock chicken...Dohhh

Neil