Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Banned

Default First domestic cow shot this year?

You hear about it every year but I can't recall the last thread I've seen about this.
My brother just called me from where he is hunting deer and moose in B.C. (not far from Kamloops). About an hour ago a landowner he knows called to inform him that someone had just shot one of his cows from the road. Asked my bro to keep eyes open for roadhunters and perhaps record lic. plates. Landowner VERY upset and RCMP and CO's on their way.
You can see why landowners are more and more reluctant about granting acsess. Alberta is not the only province with idiots out hunting.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:34 PM

It does happen.
Some guys on here claim it's a rural legend that ranchers over exagerate but I lost a cow last fall and a 600 lb steer calf the year before.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:44 PM

Default it might happen!

last night i called my neighbour AGAIN and told him that his cows are in my hay AGAIN. going on more than 2 months now. he has been told a month ago that he will have to pay for damages to the bales and pastorage. so there might some cow shooting going on out my way in a short time. time to fire up the grills
Old 10-18-2014, 04:47 PM

them cows got it comin'
Old 10-18-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
You can see why landowners are more and more reluctant about granting acsess. Alberta is not the only province with idiots out hunting.
Why are they more reluctant? This guy isn't a "hunter" and didn't have permission anyway so what difference would that have made.
Some landowners are jerks. I surely would never say they all are. Why is it ok to assume all hunters are jerks if it's truly an extremely small minority that do stupid stuff like this?
Old 10-18-2014, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Why are they more reluctant? This guy isn't a "hunter" and didn't have permission anyway so what difference would that have made.
Some landowners are jerks. I surely would never say they all are. Why is it ok to assume all hunters are jerks if it's truly an extremely small minority that do stupid stuff like this?
Your right cowtown, might have been a high school volleyball team that happened to be packing rifles and decided to shoot a farmers cow. Sheeeesh.

I suppose one point to be made is that idiot hunters like that give other hunters a bad name. This landowner would not have been upset if they had shot a deer or moose, permission or not. He is plenty P'OD now and will be posting his land. After today he will be ASSUMING better safe then sorry as far as permission to let strangers on his property. He and his neighbours are also going to record lic. #s of unfamilar vehicles.

Last edited by waterninja; 10-18-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
He is plenty P'OD now and will be posting his land.
Anyone that would shoot a cow from the road, could care less about land being posted.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:01 PM

Default Cows

Cattle are shot on purpose, not by mistake. I would hazard to say,
Your likelihood of losing a cow to projectiles drops
Drastically when you give permission freely. But that's
Only an assumption. I don't know a single rancher who has lost a cow
in daylight hours either. Unfortunate really. A lot of this stuff is
Committed by local folk, not city slickers.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Anyone that would shoot a cow from the road, could care less about land being posted.
I agree 100% with elk. Problem is that now another hunting oppurtunity has been lost to all hunters who do it right.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I agree 100% with elk. Problem is that now another hunting oppurtunity has been lost to all hunters who do it right.

When the simple truth is, having hunters on your land, means more eyes to watch out for idiots like those that would shoot a cow.
Banned

It"s always the lowest 2% that ruin it for the rest of us.

Useless thread.

Hear-say doubled down with more hear-say. All you are doing is painting hunters with the same brush as poachers.

If an idiot shoots a cow, he is an idiot, not a hunter. Go out and enjoy the outdoors; leave this propaganda to the 'antils', unless you are helping them on purpose?...
Old 10-18-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When the simple truth is, having hunters on your land, means more eyes to watch out for idiots like those that would shoot a cow.
Talking moose sees the merit of having "hunters" on his land.... Now mr. Farmer has no extra eyes out there to help him. Are these idiots more likely to plug a cow with people around or if they have the area to themselves?
Old 10-18-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
You hear about it every year but I can't recall the last thread I've seen about this.
My brother just called me from where he is hunting deer and moose in B.C. (not far from Kamloops). About an hour ago a landowner he knows called to inform him that someone had just shot one of his cows from the road. Asked my bro to keep eyes open for roadhunters and perhaps record lic. plates. Landowner VERY upset and RCMP and CO's on their way.
I've lost a few this way. I'm surprised the RCMP and CO's would bother to come out at all.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:02 PM

Guys who do this sort of things are not hunters, they are vandals with firearms. Unfortunaly everytime something like this happens the word " hunters" is used to label them. Would someone call them hunters if they used a sledge hammer to kill someone's live stock. Unfortunately for hunters a lot of these idiots hunt too.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Your right cowtown, might have been a high school volleyball team that happened to be packing rifles and decided to shoot a farmers cow. Sheeeesh.

I suppose one point to be made is that idiot hunters like that give other hunters a bad name. This landowner would not have been upset if they had shot a deer or moose, permission or not. He is plenty P'OD now and will be posting his land. After today he will be ASSUMING better safe then sorry as far as permission to let strangers on his property. He and his neighbours are also going to record lic. #s of unfamilar vehicles.
Cowtown's point was that the scum who shot the cow were not hunters, just a. holes with guns and should be dealt with as such.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:

Please refrain from calling these idiots hunters. Because a gun was used, is no reason to label them hunters. Talking moose and 99% of this forum thanks you.
(Sucks that it happened to the guy you know....hope they get caught one day...soon!!)if a store is robbed with a gun you wouldn't say it was hunters right...
Old 10-18-2014, 11:08 PM

That sucks. It makes getting land access a lot harder for everyone else...
Old 10-18-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Cowtown's point was that the scum who shot the cow were not hunters, just a. holes with guns and should be dealt with as such.
Yup

Funny how some "hunters" miss that point isn't it?
Old 10-18-2014, 11:56 PM

Maybe post it on Hunting BC...
Old 10-19-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Cattle are shot on purpose, not by mistake. I would hazard to say,
Your likelihood of losing a cow to projectiles drops
Drastically when you give permission freely. But that's
Only an assumption. I don't know a single rancher who has lost a cow
in daylight hours either. Unfortunate really. A lot of this stuff is
Committed by local folk, not city slickers.
Are you trying to hold farmers hostage? It sounds like your saying if a rancher does not grant access well then he can expect a dead cow, WOW, and you wonder why there is less and less access granted.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
The problem is these "not hunters but a. holes with guns" seem to always turn up during hunting season. No wonder everyone gets confused on how to label them.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-19-2014, 04:42 AM

I don't think they can get there own animal, so they shoot cows or horses just to see them drop.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:19 AM

I was telling dad about this last evening. He was telling me this summer there's was a wedding at the local community hall out east of here in the sticks and few hahoos drove into the neighbors pasture and shot a cow. Cut out her tongue and cut off her teats. Just for kicks or on a dare I suppose. I blame Cabela s. They are the one selling life size black Angus (pasture rat) targets. The more I think about it I nearly killed the neighbors bull one time. I was hunting for a two year old meat moose and I could see the ass of end an animal in the willows . There should not have been any cows or bulls in that field at that time. Well it looked as tall as a moose, right color. I rode up and there way no way I was going to kill it in the bush so I thought I'd push it into the open and plug it. It turn around and I said oh ****. Always nice to confirm an animal before your send some lead

Last edited by coy coyote; 10-19-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:27 AM

^Holy!
Old 10-19-2014, 07:38 AM

Default maybe mistake!!!

One time Pincherguy and his friend were out hunting. We stopped to ask permission for access from the rancher. He said I will let you go but I need you to do me a favor. Pincherguy says no problem, glad to help. Mr. Rancher says down the road bout half mile, you will see two horses, one black, one white. Please shoot the white one for me, he is old and crippled nearly ready to die. Down the road we go, sure enough there is the two horses. Pincherguy thought he would play a joke on his buddy. We stopped the truck to look at the horses. While my buddy was looking out the window at the horses Pincherguy gets out and shoots the white horse. Well the look on my buddy's was priceless, I had tears in my eyes from laughing. Then I heard the shot, looked up and the black horse is down. I looked at my friend and he said "you shot the white one and not wanting you to get in trouble by yourself I shot the black one. LOL

Pincherguy is dicking with you, did not happen, but it could.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:48 AM

True Story...Just the way it was told to me.....by this guy I know...who knows a guy who knows these 2 guys who's uncle knew a guy who saw a guy shoot a cow one time and put his bull moose tag on it...turns out the guy was an American hunting up here in Alberta....and then after been arrested and charged the same hunter came back next year and shot the same farmers tan horse and put a cow elk tag on it.....Some people will never learn I guess!

Jim...
Old 10-19-2014, 07:51 AM

It is only a matter of time till something like this happens here..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI
Old 10-19-2014, 08:51 AM
Banned

Default Some funny stuff

Arm the cattle!
Old 10-19-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
One time Pincherguy and his friend were out hunting. We stopped to ask permission for access from the rancher. He said I will let you go but I need you to do me a favor. Pincherguy says no problem, glad to help. Mr. Rancher says down the road bout half mile, you will see two horses, one black, one white. Please shoot the white one for me, he is old and crippled nearly ready to die. Down the road we go, sure enough there is the two horses. Pincherguy thought he would play a joke on his buddy. We stopped the truck to look at the horses. While my buddy was looking out the window at the horses Pincherguy gets out and shoots the white horse. Well the look on my buddy's was priceless, I had tears in my eyes from laughing. Then I heard the shot, looked up and the black horse is down. I looked at my friend and he said "you shot the white one and not wanting you to get in trouble by yourself I shot the black one. LOL

Pincherguy is dicking with you, did not happen, but it could.
That right there is funny. Talking moose thanks you for the laugh!