Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2014, 09:30 PM

Default Sask whitetail zone 23

Pulled a tag for zone 23, south and east of Outlook Sask. Looking for any info on area, won't be able to scout out prior to season end of Nov.... Any experiences???
Old 10-17-2014, 02:10 PM

If that zone is anything like the northern zone. Good soil spirit wood area there was an 80 winter kill . Don't waste your time and money going out there are my two cents.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:37 PM

From what some of the locals have told me the white tails are in very short supply like pretty much the rest of the province. Was hunting moose this week in an area where it was nothing to see 50-100 deer and only seen 2
Old 10-17-2014, 08:42 PM

Lots of areas in 23 still hold big deer. Go and have fun. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:22 PM

Going for the adventure really.....never hunted Sask. Buddy I hunt with makes me laugh...all day long.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:07 AM

I hunted that zone consistently starting about 12 years ago....but after seeing the steady decline in both quality and more importantly quantity of deer, I haven't been back for the past 3 years. My buddy that lives there says the numbers are just sad...

I would love to go back as I love the area and hunting in Sask in general, but I will wait a few more years until the populations come back.

Hopefully you get something....I just hope you aren't disappointed.

*edit......it sounds like you and I have the same buddy! So many good times and laughs out there hunting. I truly miss it.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 10-18-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberj View Post
Going for the adventure really.....never hunted Sask. Buddy I hunt with makes me laugh...all day long.
That's what its all about. I have a house in 23 and grew up there. We still have land there. Get off the beaten trails and you will be fine. I got a dandy there 2 years ago and my buddy did the last 2 years. We just picked it up from the taxidermist yesterday. There isn't as many deer but in some areas there will always be big deer.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:41 PM

Go south for the big boys make sure you get permission.