Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-08-2014, 02:30 PM

Question Ihunter App - Vacant Public Land hunting?

Don't flame me for not searching, I did a search and I swear to god there was an iHunter thread somewhere, I can't find it tho??

I got the subscription last week that shows all the "Agricultural Leased Land" and contact info (which is BLOODY AMAZING and completely changed the way I scouted last weekend, I've literally been hoping someone made an app that did this for YEARS).

However, there's also something called "Vacant Public Leased Land", which is purple lines on the map. Driving around last weekend, they looked like cutlines and oilfield roads mostly, but there was a few that didn't look disturbed at all?

Could I legally hunt this "Vacant Public Leased Land" area? I know there's an issue of an animal running into adjacent private land, but barring that aspect, is it public land with public hunting rights?
Old 10-08-2014, 03:49 PM

How did you get that I naught the I hunter pro and never seen that in the app
Old 10-09-2014, 10:03 AM

Hm, maybe I'll explain the question a bit better with some pictures, hopefully someone can help answer this.

So, there's a bunch of different types of public land that I can see.

First is "Agricultural Leased Land". I get how this works, farmer leases it, call the phone number the app gives you, ask for hunting permission, foot access only, etc.

Second is "White Area Public Land". I get this one too, all the "recreation areas", "crown. I get this one too, good to check regs but hunting usually allowed here.

The one I don't really understand is "Vacant Public Lease Land". As the picture below shows, it's stuff like pipeline allowances, public utility corridors, that kind of stuff.

Can I hunt on those purple lines?
Old 10-09-2014, 10:11 AM

Even if you could....they look so small in comparison about the only thing I would go after would be grouse.

Walking around basically on 20m road allowances is kind of risky business and will like garner attention (unwanted) from adjacent landowners....

In short there are larger parcels of crown that hunting would likely be more fruitful to hunt on...I would focus my time spent in those places.

LC
Old 10-09-2014, 02:53 PM

I was also wondering where that thread went... some good info there!?
Old 10-09-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE6WTF View Post
I was also wondering where that thread went... some good info there!?
looks like mstenroos (app creator) is banned from the forum. Probably because he isn't a forum sponsor and was advertising his business here...
Old 10-09-2014, 04:25 PM

Oh, didnt know it was an advert.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:37 PM

I have it as it has a lot of useful information at your finger tips. I'm still learning it but well worth it.

Bobby
Old 10-09-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whammy View Post
looks like mstenroos (app creator) is banned from the forum. Probably because he isn't a forum sponsor and was advertising his business here...
That's stupid. I remember he kept making sure people went through his email to ask him what questions they could. And anything that a group asked in a thread he responded to just so nobody missed out on a great way to clearify hunting regs and the use of an invaluable tool. And even then he said any further question should be asked via email. This forum is really shooting itself in the foot by silencing IHunter. It's gonna help a lot of hunters this coming season.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
That's stupid. I remember he kept making sure people went through his email to ask him what questions they could. And anything that a group asked in a thread he responded to just so nobody missed out on a great way to clearify hunting regs and the use of an invaluable tool. And even then he said any further question should be asked via email. This forum is really shooting itself in the foot by silencing IHunter. It's gonna help a lot of hunters this coming season.
What he said.. exactly
Old 10-10-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree. Maybe there is more to the situation than meets the eye. He probably should have become a forum sponsor before posting about the new (paid) update to the app though.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:11 PM

So ag leased land with "unknown" contact info. Are we good to go?
Old 10-10-2014, 04:26 PM

I also read in another post that anything white is private?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Banned

The lease land seems to be quite accurate so far but the crown land overlay is out quite a bit in some areas. Just a warning to some. In one of the areas I hunt in it shows crown land as private so not sure if it goes the other way as well in some places. It's out by a couple miles in my area.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:22 AM

One thing to remember....APPS are great but they are not 100% accurate the onus is is still on you! NOT the APP or the APP developer to know where you are at all times.

LC
Old 10-18-2014, 05:00 PM

Okay question!! I was looking up some crown land and the was a post saying this is parcel was defined as public/crown land without a deposition/lease on it to prevent public access. What exactly does that mean?? Please pm me or i will be checking for comment to this. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfisher View Post
The lease land seems to be quite accurate so far but the crown land overlay is out quite a bit in some areas. Just a warning to some. In one of the areas I hunt in it shows crown land as private so not sure if it goes the other way as well in some places. It's out by a couple miles in my area.
X2
Our farm shows up as crown! Everyone be careful. Don't want to get yourself in trouble trespassing. Go out and get a county map then you won't be steered in the wrong direction.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Money talks even when it involves our sport!
Old 10-19-2014, 10:04 AM

Does the ihunter app highlight the lease land deposition? I have the app but when I click on the deposition it doesn't highlight on the map the land that is covered by it....is that how it works? I can see the lease information but just no map of where it is.

LC
Old 10-19-2014, 10:12 AM

Should look like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1413735135745.jpg (15.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-19-2014, 10:13 AM

Go into your options and make sure the appropriate sliders are turned on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1413735168654.jpg (21.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-19-2014, 10:47 AM

I have the sliders on but still not highlighting the area....I am on i07....is that maybe the issue?

LC
Old 10-19-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have the sliders on but still not highlighting the area....I am on i07....is that maybe the issue?

LC
I'm on ios7 and it works. Click+hold until it pops up I think
Old 10-19-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbuchanan View Post
I'm on ios7 and it works. Click+hold until it pops up I think
I don't know where to hold because the property doesn't highlight....it goes to a map location but there are no boundaries drawn.

LC
Old 10-19-2014, 12:17 PM

Got it working! Couldn't load all the data sliders at once....with just the one selected it works otherwise crash city.

Thanks!

LC