Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-06-2019, 05:06 PM

Default Bow River - Third time’s a charm - or not

To date I’ve tried fly fishing on the Bow River 3 times. Three times I’ve been skunked. Since I had the day off, I hauled my butt down to the river this morning to a brisk -5C and some fog. Had the place to myself! Great morning. But not a single bite. I’ve spent many hours casting to salmon in the past, so patience is not an issue. But I can’t help but think I’m doing something wrong.

Been trying nymph techniques, with a handful of flies I got from the Iron Bow Fly shop. I do know the nymph setup with the split shot for weight takes some getting used to. I’ve managed a few tangles already but it’s not a complete disaster. I’ve been working the seams, and pools and trying to get as drag free drift as possible, and trying to get the fly down deep. But no luck yet.

Using a 9ft 5wt rod, 9ft leader with a 3x tippet. Tried some San Juan worms, skwalla nymphs, bead head prince nymphs, and a couple different streamers for good measure. But nothing yet.

Any of you experienced Bow River fly fishers care to offer up a few tips?

Thanks,
Newf
Old 05-06-2019, 07:57 PM

My thoughts are what section of the river are you fishing?Im in the south and only really know the south.To me it sounds like your hitting everything right.The rainbows have all started to spawn and could be busy getting it on in some tributarys and side channels So you need to hit brown town or or white fish heaven for some entertainment. Is you nymph rig bouncing on the bottom?Theres about a dozen or so more questions I have but others can chime in.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:58 PM

Getting skunked repeatedly when starting on the Bow is pretty common until you get to know the river well. At this time of year I find it's more about knowing exactly which spots to fish than anything else. Sounds like you're doing the right thing with the set up and flies, I would mainly focus on deep slow water and get the flies to the bottom. When I fished it a week and a half ago the fish were still in their winter spots on my usual stretch of river. Once you finally find a fish expect many more to be there
Old 05-06-2019, 09:23 PM

I tried upstream of McKinnon flats one day, and the other two days I worked a section near where the Highland enters the Bow. Yeah I’m hitting the bottom, did manage to lose a couple flies. Maybe just a matter of time until I hook into one I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital shok View Post
My thoughts are what section of the river are you fishing?Im in the south and only really know the south.To me it sounds like your hitting everything right.The rainbows have all started to spawn and could be busy getting it on in some tributarys and side channels So you need to hit brown town or or white fish heaven for some entertainment. Is you nymph rig bouncing on the bottom?Theres about a dozen or so more questions I have but others can chime in.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:58 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track, though I struggle on the Bow myself. I've had much better late early July around Stampede time when they are up and rising, often caddis hatch or a big Stimmy right at dark can work well when stoneflies are hatching. Good luck out there!
Old 05-07-2019, 07:53 AM

try tie a foot of line to your bottom fly (worm), and put the split shot on the end of that, so your splitshot is ticking bottom, and the worm is a foot off bottom

if you're not ticking bottom soon (3-5 seconds) after your setup hits the water, add weight

Last edited by stein; 05-07-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:45 PM

Find some large flat rocks that are submerged. Carefully turn them over and see if there are bugs moving. Size and color are most important. Please put the rock back where you found it as this is someone's home. Normally a bead head hare's ear and pheasant tail nymph in the correct size do a fair job of simulating the nymphs you will find. A small strike indicator will help you detect very subtle strikes and also keep your nymphs in the strike zone. I have never needed split shot when using two weighted nymphs under a strike indicator. If you are tying your own flies, try adding some very small, diameter, rubber legs to your nymphs!
Old 05-07-2019, 05:10 PM

Sounds like you doing everything you should... suprised you haven't had some luck. .Maybe move around a bit more, you got nothing to lose. Awful early in the year for anything but whites in my opinion and if it was me I'd be chucking bigger streamers and ripping them in fast for the Browns but that's just me. I've caught some nice fish on the bow in water that is fairly featureless as far as structure goes.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
I tried upstream of McKinnon flats one day, and the other two days I worked a section near where the Highland enters the Bow. Yeah I’m hitting the bottom, did manage to lose a couple flies. Maybe just a matter of time until I hook into one I guess.
Would probably stick to higher up sections of the river while the rainbows are doing their thing. You're primarily fishing rainbow water, and they are MIA right now.

Anything upstream of the deerfoot bridge is a better bet. Focus on glenmore-police atm.