Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
And yet the ozone layer is fixing itself just because little old Canada is making a big dent in the environment with our carbon tax bull shat!
Tbe ozone layer is improving because the world banned CFCs about 20 years ago. Now you pay $20>40 to get it removed from freezer/fridges.
The world is still working on greenhouse gases.
Some countries get it others don’t. China is putting army to work planting
trees. Expect to have a area the size of Ireland done.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8208836.html

Of course, some in Canada take on climate change is backwards.
Doug Ford - Ontario Premier cuts program to plant 50,000,000 trees

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...-cut-1.5110282
Old 04-28-2019, 08:07 AM

Default Is Canada backwards.

Last edited by Don Andersen; 04-28-2019 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Repaired post
Old 04-28-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post

Respectfully Don that is your opinion and it differs from many people.
They were planting some of the trees on private land...

How would you cut the deficit? Ford is making cuts to save money and balance the budget. Offer a solution or at least a better way. All of the governments of Canada need to stop spending more than they take in and I can only hope that Kenny is going to be as fiscally responsible as Klein and makes similar moves as this Ford move.
Climate change is very exaggerated.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
We have to start somewhere. How about being a leading country for a change.

The UN is warning what climate scientists have said:
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...mark-un-report

So it is not the UN that is the source.

They are also not saying the world dies. Of course not. But it will change and we will get to the point that it would be harder to change it or slow it at all.
Quite right. We do have to start somewhere. Seems to me we already have in terms of solar and wind power. Rachel has basically shut down our coal fired power plants, ( some of the cleanest and most efficient on the planet ) at huge cost to Alberta. Maybe Jason will reverse that plan, time will tell. There are getting to be more and more electric vehicles on the road all the time. These things all take time. The electrical grid would blow up if we suddenly plugged in every vehicle in the country each night. This carbon tax is just that, A TAX. All it really does is financially hamstring our country when competing in the global market. The U.N. is a bunch of hot air wind bags, jet setting the globe, slurping up champagne and caviar. Oh yes, adding hugely to green house gasses as well. Absolutely no disrespect to any of our service personnel that may have served on U.N. missions. Ask Romeo Dallaire what he thinks of the U.N.? They ordered him to do nothing while watching about a million people being butchered in Rwanda. The U.S., China and India generate approximately 60% of all green house gasses. Until they are on board anything Canada does is nothing more than symbolic at best. J.M.H.O.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Quite right. We do have to start somewhere. Seems to me we already have in terms of solar and wind power. Rachel has basically shut down our coal fired power plants, ( some of the cleanest and most efficient on the planet ) at huge cost to Alberta. Maybe Jason will reverse that plan, time will tell. There are getting to be more and more electric vehicles on the road all the time. These things all take time. The electrical grid would blow up if we suddenly plugged in every vehicle in the country each night. This carbon tax is just that, A TAX. All it really does is financially hamstring our country when competing in the global market. The U.N. is a bunch of hot air wind bags, jet setting the globe, slurping up champagne and caviar. Oh yes, adding hugely to green house gasses as well. Absolutely no disrespect to any of our service personnel that may have served on U.N. missions. Ask Romeo Dallaire what he thinks of the U.N.? They ordered him to do nothing while watching about a million people being butchered in Rwanda. The U.S., China and India generate approximately 60% of all green house gasses. Until they are on board anything Canada does is nothing more than symbolic at best. J.M.H.O.
And to produce the batteries in those electric vehicles was more harmful to the environment than producing a gas engine. The coal plant with all the scrubbers are pretty clean to produce power as well.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Where are the 30,000?

Don
Maybe he meant there are actually only 29,999 and was embarrassed that he overstated an opinion...
Old 04-29-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
I don't know why you are going off on the UN. I really don't care. I was simply pointing out that they were bringing forwards information from someone actually doing his/her jobs. I.e. a scientist. Not the UN itself.

The rest, all your opinion and you are entitled to it. I'm sure the next generation will take the action that this generation did not. They will have to once it is a real crisis.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Tbe ozone layer is improving because the world banned CFCs about 20 years ago. Now you pay $20>40 to get it removed from freezer/fridges.
The world is still working on greenhouse gases.
Some countries get it others don’t. China is putting army to work planting
trees. Expect to have a area the size of Ireland done.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8208836.html
This is the same country that plans to build a new coal fired power plant every 2 weeks for the next 12 years!!!

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/201...-2030-climate/
Old 04-30-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
This is the same country that plans to build a new coal fired power plant every 2 weeks for the next 12 years!!!

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/201...-2030-climate/
I get it, I’ll stop beating my wife when you do.

Don
Old 04-30-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I don't know why you are going off on the UN. I really don't care. I was simply pointing out that they were bringing forwards information from someone actually doing his/her jobs. I.e. a scientist. Not the UN itself.

The rest, all your opinion and you are entitled to it. I'm sure the next generation will take the action that this generation did not. They will have to once it is a real crisis.
Just trying to point out the U.N. talks a great game, but never walks the walk. That makes me very skeptical of any information they bring forward. Some of the rest may be my opinion, but I do check many sources for the numbers I gave. I invite you to check for yourself.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
And to produce the batteries in those electric vehicles was more harmful to the environment than producing a gas engine. The coal plant with all the scrubbers are pretty clean to produce power as well.
The batteries are presently a point of legitimate contention. However, once produced, they can be easily recycled and re-purposed back into functional batteries at a fraction of the initial energy cost. Also, in the case, waste is consolidated and more easily managed. The biggest issue here is the long-term sustainability. There is a finite resource of metals used in batteries.

Even the most efficient coal-fired source is still 40-60% more polluting than natural gas. Alberta sits on a huge resource of natural gas. If someone takes into account the impact of mining coal compared to drilling a natural gas well, the environmental cost of coal skyrockets.

Neither electric vehicles nor natural gas generated electricity is free from environmental impact, but science fairly clearly indicates they are both incremental improvements over the present system.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Uhhh...This entire thread has already gone full bozo. I guess I will put on some Jason Kenney makeup and wade in...

This year's snow pack was significantly below average. Last year's snowpack was average, but with a much faster melt.

Carbon taxes suck ass, but the little evidence we have is that they should work.

Carbon tax is here to stay---'getting rid of the carbon tax' is just asinine political rhetoric. Either the provincial government mandates a tax or the federal government will. The difference being who collects the taxes. The only thing that would p!ss me off more than the carbon tax is letting Trudeau decide how the carbon tax money is spent.
Actually evidence proves carbon taxes does nothing. No one is changing their habits. Costs are rising and kids are getting some rebates at the parents expense. WE are 1.4% of the global CO2 output. India, China, Russia...doing nothing but increase their output. Oil and gas consumption is rising every year.

Combine that with the global temperature increase yearly since the ice age 13000 years ago...where is the change?

Pundits state to impact on carbon usage the carbon tax needs to be $300 / ton...versus $30.

Think taxes hurt now...WOW.

At the prescribed necessary level it will make hunting and fishing cost prohibitive to drive anywhere not to mention flights.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-30-2019, 07:33 PM

i Wonder how many of us here have made up our minds about this stiff without doing more than ‘coffee table’ research about it.

It’s a complex issue with a lot of interest group white noise interwoven in it.

Tough for us average Joes to make an informed decision bout it.

Sad state of affairs.....

Anyhooooo..... she be dry round these parts. I’m hopin no forestry shut down and stream closures..... but it ain’t lookin good kids.

..... having said that.... it has started snowing.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."