Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-07-2016, 03:11 PM

Default Siebert Lake Boat Launch

Anyone been to Siebert this year?
Just wondering the shape of the launch.
I would be launching a 17.5' boat.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:19 PM

Default I have not been there yet this year

But, I was there last August, and no issues. The new (5 years back or so?) boat launch is far superior to the old one, as they extended the concrete much farther out. But, that area of the lake is still a fairly shallow sand shelf which does not fall off quickly and tends to fill itself in a bit. For a big boat and typical trailer height, you will probably need to back the truck into the water entirely and be out (the truck front distance) 10-15 meters from shore in 2' of water. But if you have a 4x4 truck with average clearance it will be no real problem. I remember the brutal wrestling matches we used to have to get even a 14' deep and wide into and out of the lake at the old launch, and then, as often or not, digging the heavy 2WD truck out of the sand (digging track trenches and using traction pads) to get back onto dry land and pull the boat out.

Actually, I would not go there if I were you - dreadful place, dismal fishing, poor campground, and terrible boat launch. Stay away and leave the place to me and mine (bahahaha).

Just promise me that if you catch any of the big girl pikes in there, you will handle them respectfully and let them go (?). It sickens me to see people keep and kill the "over 100cm." pike they might catch - just because they can - not good eating - they are over 20 years old (keep some over 50 cm. Walleye, which are much better eating and ridiculously easy to catch). Take a picture and let them go - so I can catch them later, and so the great genetics of that lake are preserved. My boys and I let 4 of those go last August, let alone some "tiddlers" in the 90 cm. + class, and the best part, after the incredible fight they give you, is seeing them swim away to fight another day.

Frankly, I really wish they had not improved the road to the extent that you no longer need a good 4x4 and lighter boat and trailer, and the time to ease things through the biggest mud holes very carefully, to get in there. It used to be rather exclusive to those of us with enough ambition and fortitude to access, when it was designated as a "trophy lake". And do remember and observe "no bait". And, my own recommendation, do pinch all barbs on all hooks - it makes the big girls so much easier to release unharmed - otherwise they can be quite a task to unhook when they have swallowed a big crank or big metal trebles.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:45 PM

Interested in the condition of the launch too for about a 19' boat.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2016, 06:16 PM

Default See above

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
Interested in the condition of the launch too for about a 19' boat.

Thanks
I've seen some very large (long or just heavy) boats get in there with the new launch, but they were inserted and extracted by equally "top end" high clearance diesel 4x4 trucks which were able to back quite a way out into the water, off the concrete, to get deep enough, and to be able to churn their way back out through the sand. As noted in the earlier reply, the issue is that the particular shore area is rather shallow sloped and a big sand bank. I'm not sure an "ordinary" 4x4 1/2 ton with "ordinary" tires would not get swamped/bogged in getting out far enough to float a really big boat. Then again, does anyone know what the lake level is like this year? It varies quite a lot over the years, and if it is up a foot or two from the lows of the last decade ...?
Old 08-13-2017, 02:00 PM

Default August 11, 2017 - Seibert Lake

I was at Siebert yesterday. I had never been out here before, so I have not idea what it was like.
I had a really great experience. The road was wet, but not muddy. It looked like it had rained quite a bit in the last few days. The lake was easily accessible with a pickup, even a two wheel drive could have made it.
The boat launch looked to be tricky. I had my 14' aluminum, so I had no issues. There was a guy trying to load an approximately 17' fiberglass inboard, and he was up to his floorboards in water. 4x4 would be a must if you are wanting to launch a bigger boat. There were a couple of pontoon boats on the water, so it is possible.
Fishing was slow. It was pretty windy, so navigating a 14' aluminum was tricky. If we had been able to stay in one place longer, fishing might have been better. Caught a couple of smallish walleye. One was 50 cm, the others were smaller.
It was a great day! I definitely want to go back!
Old 08-13-2017, 10:10 PM

Big round lake with the boat launch in a poor area kinda like calling but without the rocks which is nice. One of those lakes where 80 percent of the fish are in ten percent of the lake. If you get your jack over 100cm then I guess it's yours to keep if you want...thems the rules and of course it would be nice to release but if you just clawed your way in on a once a year trip and that's all you got...don't hang your head over keeping your fish bud.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:40 AM

I have been at Seibert for the last 11 days fishing has been good, netted almost 200 walleyes and 5 pike over 100cm 2 of them well over 100cm all fish went back, have caught most of the fish on the north end, road is good, a little muddy, boat launch is good also
Old 08-14-2017, 02:12 PM

Good job. They are in there if you can find em. Excellent genetics nice thick fish and very aggressive as they get bigger. Nice to hear there's a few left in there and I think and hope most guys put the big girls back. All those lakes up there got some water in them this summer and hope a better recruitment for the next couple springs will bring em back to a shadow of their former selves at least.