Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2017, 07:14 PM

Default Shaws point

Just wondering what the general consensus is on this "jewel of the north"
Old 08-05-2017, 08:32 PM

I'd rather camp at Spruce Point or Hilliard's Provincial Park.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:03 PM

I used to go there every year. I like it
Old 08-08-2017, 08:57 AM

Nice place to be, my wife and boys enjoy it.

Great beach, lots of amenities in the store (reasonably priced items), farmers market every Saturday with fresh fruit, veggies, baking .

Gong Show on long weekends...I will not go back for a long weekend and if we do, no boat in the water till the holiday Mondays as everyone is going home then. Its crazy busy in front of the beach area, we go towards Hilliards to boat with the kids to be safe. Its a race to get a spot in the marina unless you pull out every time. The lack of respect by some boaters/PWC owners is crazy.

July long weekend is family oriented with events put on by the owners of Shaw's Point, plus great fireworks for Canada Day !!

Its getting pricey now to camp without sewer hookup along beach row, but if you want beach row...it is what it is.

Would like to have a seasonal in one sense but next few years in summer will be like the others past recently...busy with work, and the boys are getting older and hockey starts earlier. Next year wife and kids will probably have a 3-4 week stretch at the lake. Not the normal 6ish. Poor them !!hahaha
Old 08-08-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ZL1 View Post
I'd rather camp at Spruce Point or Hilliard's Provincial Park.
We've been staying at Hilliards Bay every September long weekend for several years now. I've had opportunity to run over to Shaw Point for propane a couple times and took a drive around the place. I didn't like it myself. Little or no privacy and too darn many people (especially small, young, loud ones......LOL)

Hilliards Bay offers more privacy and space between sites....and it has a boat launch nearby. I haven't checked but I wager you pay less per night over at Hilliards Bay too.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 08-08-2017, 08:51 PM

Well now that I see how this thread is starting to unfold I'll give my 2 cents. Shaw's is retardedly expensive, no privacy, and a utter mad house every long weekend. As others have stated, you want to see some entertainment? Then hang out at the marina and watch the circus. What really drives me nuts are all the kids ripping around on the golf carts. In fact this past weekend the wife and kids were at the showers by the old marina and some kids on a golf cart ran into the side of her Armada. Luckily nobody was hurt. However when the wife approached the teen's parents, the mother started giving my wife the gears and was insinuating that we were trying to pull a fast one on her. This was after her son told his mother that they ran into the side of our vehicle. Needless to say 1600 to 2000 damage and our insurance company most likely will be the ones footing the bill. Oh ya, if you're bringing a boat you better pack gas. 1.40 to 1.50 a litre for regular unleaded. Rant over
Old 08-09-2017, 06:05 PM

I totally agree with what 67ZL1 is saying.

Too much of young people (kids of seasonal lot renters) driving around on golf carts well past 11pm. Some as young as 14 ( what kind of driving experience do they have??). There will always be the "Bad Apples" that ruin it for others.

Its only a matter of time that events like this happens, or even worse serious injury or a fatality. I heard the owners of Shaws Point had a meeting with some seasonal lot parents and their teenage kids in mid July. IMO, Shaws needs to crack down harder on it and take away seasonal lot renter privileges (golf carts usage) away from the parents for the rest of the year for their childrens' actions....then we will maybe see some changes. Parents nned to be more responsible for their kids actions.

What also drives me nuts sometimes is seasonal lot people on golf carts driving and the driving habits. Try backing in a trailer into a lot with parents and kids on golf carts wizzing by you with no respect...cant wait a minute, or other campers walking taking up the road when pulling your trailer or boat....

Still enjoy the beach. First year on the lake with a boat for my family...its been an adventure and like people have told me, almost divorced in fights with the wife in loading, unloading, docking...etc

Heading out right now for one last trip till sunday. Hockey starts soon for the boys....almost too soon. Oh well...all is good !!
Old 08-10-2017, 10:27 AM

Its a nice campground but the above posts are 100% correct....you are second class to the seasonals.

They dont have rules for kids in carts nor do they enforce any quiet time on them.

$1,200.00 ding on the drivers door of my motor home from a seasonal lot holders 14 year old driving dads 3500 cummins dodge...alone...Dad was more than willing to foot that bill LOL

That was my last trip up there.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:18 PM

Ha. I have never stayed there but drove through once (maybe twice) and that was enough for me to see why I never did or will camp there. Hilliard's would me my choice.