Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2020, 11:57 PM

Default Changes to Canada’s cash, interesting read!

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknote...er-bank-notes/

What does this mean when they start printing money that doesn’t contain the term “Legal Tender”!?! Those are some extremely important words printed on our bills!
Old 08-02-2020, 12:42 AM

It's only from some bills that are no longer being printed, and are rarely circulated. That's the only ones losing Legal Tender status.

When was the last time that you saw a $1, $2, $25, $500, and $1000 notes? The last 3 I've only seen in coin stores.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
It's only from some bills that are no longer being printed, and are rarely circulated. That's the only ones losing Legal Tender status.

When was the last time that you saw a $1, $2, $25, $500, and $1000 notes? The last 3 I've only seen in coin stores.
Correct me if I’m wrong but the first line says “the bank of Canada now has the power to remove legal tender status from bank notes, a power it did not have before!!! It does state in the second line that it plans to remove legal tender status on certain notes, including the$1, $2, $25, $500, $1000, however no where does it state that they won’t be able to do that to any other bill! That’s why I find it a interesting read,
Old 08-02-2020, 07:57 AM

I think your worried over nothing.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:05 AM

He is.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-02-2020, 08:16 AM

Haha I'm more upset about all our money not being worth anything.
That and how ugly they make it. Can they make it somehow more sissy and revolting?
I used to use cash for most things but now credit cards are cheaper than cash. Pay em off every month and get reward cash back at end of year. In the States it used to be the opposite. Better prices if you paid in cash.
With covid if you hand a cashier cash she looks at you like you are handing her plague.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
I think your worried over nothing.
Who said anything about being worried, and this could indicate that your physical cash may end up being worth nothing, making you have to rely on the banking system to go about your daily life, and you might argue that you already do have to rely on the banking system for cash, but this is not true, cash is still tradeable for goods and services! I don’t actually have to go into the bank to acquire cash!

Last edited by morinj; 08-02-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
He is.
You don’t think it’s funny that the government makes such a big power move to remove bills from our currency that no one EVER uses, when even in the same article it states how insignificant legal tender really is. There are more implications to this power move then your mind can register, so please instead of answering with something short to get your post count up, think of a reply and say something smart!
Old 08-02-2020, 09:44 AM

I have a stack of 50s at home... I could be persuaded to part with them for... say... three 20s in each...
Old 08-02-2020, 10:21 AM

Ok, Tin foil hat time...... The bank notes listed aren't an issue at all. They have been discontinued for years and are in many cases worth more than the face value to collectors. The big problem is that the government has given themselves the power to one day decide ALL CASH is no longer legal tender.

Meaning only traceable, controllable, electronic transactions are legal, which could even pave the way become some new type of government e-currency. Seems like that would be a good fit for some level of control or oversight towards universal basic income? If you think the government would never do something so drastic, did you ever think they would order the entire economy to a halt and destroy peoples lives?

I am by no means a Q-anon guy, flat earther, prepper or sasquatch hunter. But this is food for thought, why would they need the power to remove legal tender status at will? (They gave themselves this power omnibussed in the 2018 budget bill) What real benefit is there to this rather than slowly removing those old discontinued notes from circulation? It's no secret that the central banks and governments are playing a multi trillion dollar game of musical chairs, so what happens when the music stops?

Tin foil hat off.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth_ View Post
ok, tin foil hat time...... The bank notes listed aren't an issue at all. They have been discontinued for years and are in many cases worth more than the face value to collectors. The big problem is that the government has given themselves the power to one day decide all cash is no longer legal tender.

Meaning only traceable, controllable, electronic transactions are legal, which could even pave the way become some new type of government e-currency. Seems like that would be a good fit for some level of control or oversight towards universal basic income? If you think the government would never do something so drastic, did you ever think they would order the entire economy to a halt and destroy peoples lives?

I am by no means a q-anon guy, flat earther, prepper or sasquatch hunter. But this is food for thought, why would they need the power to remove legal tender status at will? (they gave themselves this power omnibussed in the 2018 budget bill) what real benefit is there to this rather than slowly removing those old discontinued notes from circulation? It's no secret that the central banks and governments are playing a multi trillion dollar game of musical chairs, so what happens when the music stops?

Tin foil hat off.
!!!omg!!! Thank you!!!
Old 08-02-2020, 10:38 AM

Waiting for them to come out with the new rainbow colored 3 dollar bill with Justins greasy mug on it
Old 08-02-2020, 10:42 AM

There are still 700,000 of the 1000 dollar bills out there!
Old 08-02-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
There are still 700,000 of the 1000 dollar bills out there!
Yup and I have my share. Also the mint $1's $2's in paperback. 50 cent pieces and silver dollars from my mom and dad from long time ago.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:27 PM

Im betting that decades in the future, Trudeau and his piece of garbage father will be seen as grassroots architects to the new world order.....how little by little they groomed society to be weak and symptomatic, drugged up and lazy, fat and incapable, docile and submissive.......
Old 08-02-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Im betting that decades in the future, Trudeau and his piece of garbage father will be seen as grassroots architects to the new world order.....how little by little they groomed society to be weak and symptomatic, drugged up and lazy, fat and incapable, docile and submissive.......
Yep . Easy to see after 50 years .