Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-28-2020, 09:21 AM

Default Remington Files For Bankruptcy Again

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/28/b...ptcy-guns.html

Sounds like a combination of the Pandemic and mismanagement, unfortunate.....
Old 07-28-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/28/b...ptcy-guns.html

Sounds like a combination of the Pandemic and mismanagement, unfortunate.....
Personally their latest offerings were not a shadow of the quality from years ago. Hopefully they can restructure and get a better product to market.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Personally their latest offerings were not a shadow of the quality from years ago. Hopefully they can restructure and get a better product to market.
Lets hope not ! Investment Fund guys always did make poor firearms designers & manufacturers. Nothing but junk and poor QC since Cerberus et al took over.
The old "Big Green" died a slow and agonizing death. Let it go.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:50 PM

Guns and ammo have been flying off the shelves in the US. If a gun and ammo manufacturer can't make money in that environment, they should have been out of business long ago
Old 07-28-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Lets hope not ! Investment Fund guys always did make poor firearms designers & manufacturers. Nothing but junk and poor QC since Cerberus et al took over.
The old "Big Green" died a slow and agonizing death. Let it go.
Savage Arms came out with a better product after bankruptcy protection. I think Harley Davidson got operated by AMF in the 80's if memory serves me correctly and got a better product.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:03 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Savage Arms came out with a better product after bankruptcy protection. I think Harley Davidson got operated by AMF in the 80's if memory serves me correctly and got a better product.
Yup....takes a little failure now and then to get a good product to market.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-29-2020, 07:54 AM

If they make it through I hope that they increase their quality to get closer to what they used to produce. Remington didn't do themselves any favours when they took over producing Marlin firearms and the quality standards went into the toilet.
It would be refreshing to see a firearms company once again focus on good materials and quality instead of the cheapest and highest number of firearms going out the door(and not break the bank to purchase one).....
Old 07-31-2020, 09:37 AM

I posted this in the Guns section a month ago. It has some good info and a good article on Remington's history of bankruptcies.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ght=Bankruptcy

To be fair to Remington, when they bought Marlin it was already turning out crap guns. The machinery Marlin was using was so worn out that Remington ended up scraping most of it shortly after buying the company. It took them a long time to re-equip and because they moved production they lost almost all of the people who had experience making the Marlins so even with new machinery it took a long time to get quality back where it should be..
Old 08-02-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Personally, I dont think the Savages of today are that much better than the ones of yester year... they just got better at making money is all.

I hope Remington comes through and figures things out, with Winchester/ Browning going global and Weatherby dabbling I'd hate to lose another domestic option for half affordable firearms.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:23 AM

Let's hope some skillful managers turn this around. So many competitor's that average quality won't do it.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I posted this in the Guns section a month ago. It has some good info and a good article on Remington's history of bankruptcies.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ght=Bankruptcy

To be fair to Remington, when they bought Marlin it was already turning out crap guns. The machinery Marlin was using was so worn out that Remington ended up scraping most of it shortly after buying the company. It took them a long time to re-equip and because they moved production they lost almost all of the people who had experience making the Marlins so even with new machinery it took a long time to get quality back where it should be..
Thanks for that info and link Dean, it was a good read.
Hopefully they can pull through and get back to making some quality firearms once again....
Old 08-06-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
If they make it through I hope that they increase their quality to get closer to what they used to produce. Remington didn't do themselves any favours when they took over producing Marlin firearms and the quality standards went into the toilet.
It would be refreshing to see a firearms company once again focus on good materials and quality instead of the cheapest and highest number of firearms going out the door(and not break the bank to purchase one).....
The older Remington's may have been OK. However it was still a cheaper to manufacture push feed action.

It was the Remington 700 that forced Winchester to abandon the Pre 64 controlled round feed in order to compete with the price of the 700.

If you want a well made rifle go look at the latest ones from Winchester.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:03 AM

I used to work for Cabelas and find it amusing that Remington's former CEO Thomas Millner, that put them into Chapter 11, is the same guy that as Cabelas CEO got them into such bad financial shape they were taken over by Bass Pro. Way to go Tommy!
Old 08-15-2020, 11:19 AM

He was earning $4.1 million annual salary while bankrupting Cabelas. I don’t understand how the board of governors can support that.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-16-2020, 05:20 PM

poor management and immense legal fees are what crippled the company. Im not a remington guy so not partial in any way just stating some facts. Elmer fudd disappointed with quality control were not to blame by the numbers/revenue as disappointing as it must be lol