Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Hilleberg aren't even close to ultralight... I'm looking into the Dan Durston X-Mid 2P currently.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

Nobody said the Hilleberg was an ultralight. It is a bombproof tent that can safely and comfortably withstand wind, weather and cold. Better than any other company that I have seen.

I had to look up that Dan Durston tent, looks interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2020, 09:59 AM

Anyone have any experience with the brand TarpTent? I'm looking at their Notch model. Trekking pole tent weighing well under two lbs. They also make a cuben fibre model that's even lighter
Old 08-09-2020, 02:12 PM

Over the years I have used the Hilleberg Allak, Anjan 2, Anjan 3, Anjan 3 Gt, Akto and Niak. I currently own the Allak 2 (use when moose hunting and returning to a central location) and the Stone Glacier Skyscraper.

Out of all those tents, the Niak is the best, I regret selling it.

Rob
Old 08-12-2020, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy The Kid View Post
Anyone have any experience with the brand TarpTent? I'm looking at their Notch model. Trekking pole tent weighing well under two lbs. They also make a cuben fibre model that's even lighter
that search led to me one called the seekoutside silex that i like look of better than tarptent options, but of the tarptent options liked look of protrail/motrail most

seekoutside silvertip looks kick arse, someone mentioned it here also
Old 08-12-2020, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
For early season or light and fast type solo setups I straight up run a bivy bag https://www.outdoorresearch.com/ca/a...SAAEgIjDfD_BwE It works really well set up in seconds light weight and takes up little room. Cons are your gear is out in the weather.

I have been running a older 2 man mountaineering tent for late season but everyone else seems to think they want to climb in there with me because it’s a 2 man tent and there to lazy or cheap to buy there own. Pros is getting away from the weather like snow driving rain and wind. Cons other people weight setup time heavy.

When I’ll be looking at replacing my tent it’ll be with a setup like this https://seekoutside.com/silvertip-tipi/ with A stove jack. Pros lighter than my tent stove sleeps me and my gear. Cons brother-in-law magnet price is in USD.
haha, best post in this thread that seek gear looks good, just south of the border here, seems like they get this mountain stuff
Old 08-12-2020, 09:17 AM

Default Seekoutside

I have a six person seekoutside tipi with a titanium stove, mostly used where wheels can go but have packed it on my back up a mountain once with a friend. It has withheld a ton of time (7years now) ive spent probably over 200 nights in it and most times have been not the best weather. My only complaint is you gotta have a spare spark arrestor or else you are gonna be busy sealing up all the little holes from the sparks out the stack. The zippers still work great, these guys make some quality stuff. Weighs about 12lbs with the stove. I have built a floor for it so when i go where wheels go its quite comfortable in any weather. The floor is awkward and heavy, made from plywood and styrofoam.

I cant seem to upload the photo
Old 08-12-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
that search led to me one called the seekoutside silex that i like look of better than tarptent options, but of the tarptent options liked look of protrail/motrail most

seekoutside silvertip looks kick arse, someone mentioned it here also
Hey thanks! I think I like the look of the Silex better. And half the price
Old 07-18-2021, 10:14 PM

Default Seekoutside Tipi Tent

Just bought a 6 man Seekoutside Tipi tent and its amazing. So much room, light weight and well constructed.

Shipping was fast and I also sprung for the xl stove which isnt all that much weight. Expensive but well worth it on those cold rainy days.

I'll post some pictures when I figure out how.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:54 AM

If you want a floor and bug protection(not really necessary during hunting season) an ultralight bivy under a tarp seems to make a lot of sense.

A well set up tarp can provide good shelter, not as good as a teepee and that stove sure sounds wonderful when it’s wet or cold out. I’ve slept under a tarp often and they’re good shelter for the weight.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:32 PM

Consider this,comfort is paramount on any hunt.Choose a tent that gives you enough room,warmth and is bombproof in any weather. Bear in mind that if you are successful you will carry out upwards of 50 lbs of meat on your back. A couple of extra pounds of tent wont make much difference when you have the satisfaction of a filled tag to power you through. Oh and bring a couple of strong guys along to help.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:04 AM

Default Rab

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie.../rab-element-2

I got this a few years ago. Has performed well in heavy rain and light snow. weighs less than a pound and has been stable in moderate winds.
good luck in you search!
Old 08-01-2021, 08:35 PM

The msr hubba hubba is another option to consider.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:25 PM

What about the lite outdoors tipi, mine worked great from our hike into Michelle lake this weekend rained on us yesterday tent was great, for 2 people
Old 08-03-2021, 05:00 PM

I bought a one Tigris smokey hut tipi w stove jack off their website a couple years back for 25$ iirc....insane price. Have used it on multiple trips in all kinds of weather and its held up fantastically. It's a 10' round print and about 5'9 or so to the peak.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:59 PM

Was looking at the MSR Freelites a few days ago...superlight but the reviews I've seen haven't been that great on them.