Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-10-2022, 10:56 AM

Default Score Ammo Last Couple Years

Some old threads on Score but I was wondering if anyone has used it recently? With the shotshell supply being hit and miss I was wondering about this brand again. I have used it in the past and liked it but then there was a bad batch go through the local UFA and me and others had a real tough time with it not cycling and being way off spec as far as uniform with big bulges in the hulls, and curved hulls. Also that batch had a really tough plastic hull that did not open properly. Only a quarter of the top of the empty shot hulls would be open

Are these issues sorted out or is it still pretty hit amd miss? I used it back in 2014 or so and really liked it. Then this bad batch left me sour but so does the price and supply of everything else I normally shoot lol.

Has anyone tried recently? Interested in the good and bad
Old 03-10-2022, 10:58 AM

Score was having trouble getting components, so I don't know what they will even have available this year. I just topped up my waterfowl supply with Kent, the price is way up, but it is available, and still a lot cheaper than a lot of the competition.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:08 AM

Shot a couple cases of 3 inch. #2s last year with no issues. Tends to foul the gun faster but for the price I clean more often
Old 03-10-2022, 01:08 PM

I use it extensively and purchase it by the case.. Like the OP, I had numerous cycling problems back in 2019/2020. At first I thought it was my gun because that is something I can control. Cleaned thoroughly after every outing, I was still getting cycling problems. After eliminating my gun as the problem, I decided to test the ammunition. I removed the barrel from my gun and tested each shell for fit in the chamber. If gravity did not do the work of fully seating the shell in the chamber when I dropped it in, I isolated the shell. Of 220 shells tested, 47 failed to seat in the chamber. I took a video of my efforts, sent the video by email to Score and talked to the owner on multiple occasions. He was immediately concerned, came up with a tooling solution to fix the problem and I have not had a cycling issue with Score ammunition since. For my efforts he sent me a case of #2 and a case of BB.

I continue to use Score. A Canadian company located in Carberry MB.

As a footnote to my testing, I also tested Challenger Ammunition (made in QC Canada) and found a high percentage of shells not fitting my chamber. I contacted Challenger and they were not concerned with my findings. I'm no longer a Challenger customer.

I no longer have a single shot semi. I test all my shells before I go hunting with them
Old 03-10-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I use it extensively and purchase it by the case.. Like the OP, I had numerous cycling problems back in 2019/2020. At first I thought it was my gun because that is something I can control. Cleaned thoroughly after every outing, I was still getting cycling problems. After eliminating my gun as the problem, I decided to test the ammunition. I removed the barrel from my gun and tested each shell for fit in the chamber. If gravity did not do the work of fully seating the shell in the chamber when I dropped it in, I isolated the shell. Of 220 shells tested, 47 failed to seat in the chamber. I took a video of my efforts, sent the video by email to Score and talked to the owner on multiple occasions. He was immediately concerned, came up with a tooling solution to fix the problem and I have not had a cycling issue with Score ammunition since. For my efforts he sent me a case of #2 and a case of BB.

I continue to use Score. A Canadian company located in Carberry MB.

As a footnote to my testing, I also tested Challenger Ammunition (made in QC Canada) and found a high percentage of shells not fitting my chamber. I contacted Challenger and they were not concerned with my findings. I'm no longer a Challenger customer.

I no longer have a single shot semi. I test all my shells before I go hunting with them
That’s exactly the info I was looking for thanks. I shoot a lot Challenger I have never had a cycling issue with challenger but had a couple cases where one out of 25 or so was loaded light and the pellets would basically fall out the end. Always worry about a wad getting stuck in that scenario especially when running a patternmaster that strips the wad but ended up ok. I have heard nothing good about Challenger customer service and they are Quebec based, but so far I have really liked their ammo amd in fact prefer it to most big name brands if the price point is the same. Pretty weird idea to have bright orange hulls for waterfowl loads though like they have done lately🤯

Last edited by ganderblaster; 03-10-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:35 PM

CNP, thanks for your efforts. They must have solved the issue. Last year I purchased 12 cases of Score 3” BB ammo for me and the boys. We used it extensively, and to my recollection, through numerous manufacturers’ semi-autos, it was flawless.

The only brand of ammo I have personally had issues with has been Challenger.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:29 PM

Very impressed with the score ammo.in the 10 plus cases I have shot ,never had a fail.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 03-11-2022, 07:57 AM

This is great info guys thanks. I listen to the big honker podcast and others from the states and the Americans have really supported Boss Shotshells and in turn Boss has done everything to create a local supply. In these weird and erratic times with supply chains I feel that’s the direction we need to go. If there are issues with the local instead of just going to another company like I often have done, it’s excellent to see how CNP took the time to go to Score and work through it.

So everyone using it the last couple years says it’s reliable now. How does it pattern?

I pull every brand apart to check shot and score shot always seemed nice and uniform but I have had good luck with the crappy deformed pellets from Winchester xpert and Browning as well pattern wise but lose penetration past 20-25yards. No problem with head shots but body shots no good past 25.

Kind of veering of topic bit my point is I wonder if the deformed pellets actually pattern better but penetration is down? Some say that’s why Bismuth is so deadly because it cracks up going through the barrel.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
This is great info guys thanks. I listen to the big honker podcast and others from the states and the Americans have really supported Boss Shotshells and in turn Boss has done everything to create a local supply. In these weird and erratic times with supply chains I feel that’s the direction we need to go. If there are issues with the local instead of just going to another company like I often have done, it’s excellent to see how CNP took the time to go to Score and work through it.

So everyone using it the last couple years says it’s reliable now. How does it pattern?

I pull every brand apart to check shot and score shot always seemed nice and uniform but I have had good luck with the crappy deformed pellets from Winchester xpert and Browning as well pattern wise but lose penetration past 20-25yards. No problem with head shots but body shots no good past 25.

Kind of veering of topic bit my point is I wonder if the deformed pellets actually pattern better but penetration is down? Some say that’s why Bismuth is so deadly because it cracks up going through the barrel.
I use Bismuth for Camp Wainwright sharptails, and the issues with brittle shot, have pretty much been resolved. From what I am seeing, the Kent Bismuth pattern very well, and kill like lead on sharptails.
Doing my own patterning, Kent did well, Winchester was much less uniform, likely due to the irregular shot.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-11-2022 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post

I’ve been thinking the same about boss. If you look on their site they hint about coming up here. I’ve been thinking about the logistics and untill we have better powder and primer supply I can’t imagine the ability to open up commercially is realistic. Particularly if you look at sponser company’s Canada lags behind on high end gear. Probably has to do with the more limited market. I’m thinking pyke gear, gunner kennels, those types of things.

Also take the uk for instance if our government decides that steel should be used for everything or that biodegradable wads are mandatory we don’t have the infrastructure to adjust. In any sort of timely manner

I’ve found with my 20 gauge the difference in shells is pretty large across everyone. For how tight they are in the barrels