Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-25-2022, 04:16 PM

Always tie the head to the rack, never damaged them.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:10 PM

Tie up the rack and legs is fine and it works but Dragging an animal with a quad causes significant bruising to the meat and dirt all over. A cheap pelican sled or a tub trailer is far better than dragging in the dirt.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:12 AM

Whiskey, good suggestion on sled. I always believed we should show more respect to the animal we harvest and not drag it many miles through the mud and bounce it over the logs. Put it on the trailers as soon as you can.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:23 PM

When you see the meat skinned after a night hanging you will never drag another animal by machine again. I don’t drag my grocery’s from the the field or the store.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:44 PM

Pulling an animal a short ways in Nov with snow and frozen ground won't do much harm but I have heard stories of guys pulling moose or elk in October many km's in the grass, dirt and skeg to get back to camp and always wondered why would you do that. Quarter it onto the racks, tub trailers or some kind of sled to keep it clean as possible.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:46 AM

Rack on rack works well really. Couple years back the boys had a real monster down. 62" Spread. Couldn't budge it it was so heavy. Rack on Rack wasn't gonna prevail on that one. A few text later there's 20 men in a chopping/cut over literally, black as pitch in the middle of nowhere , They rolled that moose onto the trailer like it was nothing. 3-4 quads pulling.... Big Reds the whole Nine. Mad men... never seen nothing like it. Next thing you know we're at the RV celebrating. Got a few thousand pics in the archives. Here's a couple. something to look at. I was filming these hunts out of province. Amazing adventures. That gang I was with are outdoorsman every step of the way. I was in awww of thier knowledge of Moose. I'm not a moose guy. Very impressive from my vantage point with the way it succeeded. Nice to be able to tag along with a video camera and stay outta the way. It worked well. Great Memories.

Something to look at.... Cheers Fellas
Old 03-03-2022, 06:26 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Popcan if that doesn’t get the blood flowing eh!

Now I am skipping summer and my heads into the fall with pics like that

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-03-2022, 10:52 AM

Default moose

Nice moose and hunting pictures. Though have to say looks like a Government Crew. Reminds me of moose hunt couple years back when I dressed/skinned out two 50 inch bulls by myself and quartered them to load onto truck. Glad partner helped me load quarters and heads onto the truck when came down the cutline.