Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-24-2022, 11:20 AM

Default pulling with an ATV

I've seen pics on other sites, guys attaching the pull rope to the rear rack of their ATV instead of the hitch to pull big game out of the bush! I know this gives a lot higher pulling angle but me thinks this is not a good idea and could go south in a hurry. I don't own an ATV so I don't know the strength of these racks Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by Muskeg77; 02-24-2022 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 02-24-2022, 11:29 AM
Banned

Pulled dozens of moose out of the bush with their heads tied up to the rear rack
Old 02-24-2022, 11:36 AM

Good to know. Thanx.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:41 AM

^^^^ this, only not dozens though.
Towed a few out that way. Had to have a buddy sit on the front rack to keep the nose down on the quad for a couple of them. Never had a problem with the weight on the rack. These were older Honda quads, not sure about the strength of the racks on the newer quads.
Having said that, most were cut up on site using the gutless method and hauled out in a tub trailer.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:53 AM

Not sure where your conflict of interest is? Head of a downed moose tied to rack will drag over deadfall easily. In most cases, the driver dictates the speed of the machine. Walking speed is about the norm. Some racks may bend a little. Most will be unfazed. It’s a tool. Are you more worried about the tool being scratched than getting the meat out, hung and cooling as quickly as possible? It can be done safely. Being able to read the terrain is key.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:54 AM

I have always used a "choker" around the neck plus a ratchet strap to secure the horns to rack. Have been doing this way since the early eighties with zero issues.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:03 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

If I am pulling a critter out of the wood, marsh etc tied to the hitch but if towing I get the head up high as possible and tie off to the rack and drag the body behind.
We have done a few wheelies on steep grades but got buddy to sit on the front rack and act like a rodeo cowboy....always an adventure.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-24-2022, 12:14 PM

Default Pulling with an ATV

We have pulled out countless animals out of the bush. We always tie the head on the ATV because if you do not, the horns of the animal catch on anything and everything.
This if very common. Damage to the rear carrying rack of the ATV is not there.
We have pulled animals out of some real **** holes, were we have had a person sit on the front rack to keep it down as you go up hill. And to keep the front tires down for traction.
And back in the days of trikes, we would tie off the front wheel on another trikes' rear rack.
I would do it again tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Pulled dozens of moose out of the bush with their heads tied up to the rear rack
Yup
On a Honda. Zero issues.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:27 PM

Wow. Lots of good info.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:52 PM

Default Correction

Antlers…not horns
Old 02-24-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
This, get the head up on the rack for weight and go. But then you also need some hp or 2 quads pulling in tandem like we did with older Hondas and a ft of snow lol.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:29 PM
Banned

Ya we used two quads back in the early to mid 90’s
Worked good
Now I have a king quad 750. Did a clutch kit on it when it was new. Put on some good upgraded tires, power steering. It’s a breeze
Just putt along in 4lo and away you go
Old 02-24-2022, 01:31 PM

Yep, get that moose head up as high as possible. If it is a real big bull, get a buddy to sit on the front rack, don't pick a skinny friend. Better yet, I like to chain two quads in tandem and no issue then.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:44 PM

I put half an elk on the back of an ATV and dragged another half. Went up a steep hill and flipped the bike on myself. Definitely be careful.

It all depends on the machine, the slope, the load, etc.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:50 PM

I prefer to put them in a tandem tub trailer. You also keep the animal clean. I’ve seen gutted moose dragged and they end up full of dirt and leaves.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
I put half an elk on the back of an ATV and dragged another half. Went up a steep hill and flipped the bike on myself. Definitely be careful.

It all depends on the machine, the slope, the load, etc.
Probably a Polaris
Your luck it didn’t blow up from being over worked
Old 02-24-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Probably a Polaris
Your luck it didn’t blow up from being over worked
Honda. But it was steep, i was young and lazy and didn't see it coming. Lucky a buddy was there walking along side to toss the machine off of me or it would have been real bad.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:03 PM

We use the the quad trailer for hauling moose out and back to camp
Works best with 2 quads with winches , run the winches under the moose flip the trailer on top of the moose, hook winch on trailer, winch until trailer uprights with moose inside
Or I have a winch on back of quad , I run the winch cable up over my back rack with a pulley and winch the Moose head back up to the rack much like the rest have said
Old 02-24-2022, 07:25 PM

Back in high school, grade 10 to be exact… a friend of mine with his two brothers and dad were hauling a moose out of the bush with the quad and he was sitting on the front rack. When the quad flipped, his dad and older brothers watched him die after breaking his neck. Might be wise to use the winch to get it up the hills or quarter it up first.
Old 02-24-2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robins36 View Post
Back in high school, grade 10 to be exact… a friend of mine with his two brothers and dad were hauling a moose out of the bush with the quad and he was sitting on the front rack. When the quad flipped, his dad and older brothers watched him die after breaking his neck. Might be wise to use the winch to get it up the hills or quarter it up first.
For this very reason I never use the back rack. I welded a 18x20" rack out of 1/2" square tube that plugs into the receiver on my quad. Strap the head with antlers up on that plate and pull out. Never have flipping issues. The plate is fabbed so it rides above my axle so it doesnt cause ground clearance issues. When not in use its hung off my back rack out of the way....

For deer and bear I usually use my homemade front fork lift thingy...it lifts the item up onto the front rack as long as the suspension can hold the weight.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg77 View Post
I've seen pics on other sites, guys attaching the pull rope to the rear rack of their ATV instead of the hitch to pull big game out of the bush! I know this gives a lot higher pulling angle but me thinks this is not a good idea and could go south in a hurry. I don't own an ATV so I don't know the strength of these racks Thoughts, anyone?

I've Pulled couple out of the wood with their heads tied up to the rack and no issue has ever occurred at any point in time
Old 02-25-2022, 08:01 AM

Smile

Man I came home one evening and the neighbour flagged me down so I pulled over....he said I saw your kid coming out of your drainage ditch popping wheelies then going back down just to repeat many times....thought he was loosing it then I walked over just as he got out with a bull moose in tow!
He said I almost shat myself and had a good laugh as he drove by with an ear to ear grin

Old 02-25-2022, 08:10 AM

I tried tying a bull elk's head to the rear rack on my Honda and had no end of trouble with wheel stands (I was alone). Now I tie stuff to the tow hitch, sling around the hind feet and pull that way. My neighbour uses his front winch cable ran under his smaller quad to pull critters and this works well for him.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:24 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I tried tying a bull elk's head to the rear rack on my Honda and had no end of trouble with wheel stands (I was alone). Now I tie stuff to the tow hitch, sling around the hind feet and pull that way. My neighbour uses his front winch cable ran under his smaller quad to pull critters and this works well for him.
Dam never thought of that, tie off at the front then run the rope underneath just ensuring the rope comes over the rear axle to ensure it doesn’t get caught up in the wheels or figure that out as you go but the weight would keep the front down....hmmmm..now ya got me thinking

Old 02-25-2022, 08:52 AM

We usually skid moose few hundred yards to cutline, then load on 4x8 walking beam trailer with front that lifts to allow moose to be dragged on by hand winch. It is a one man job.
Have hauled moose upto 10 miles, do not like to drag moose through that much mud.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:23 AM

Shot a young bull moose around rocky Mt house maybe a 28 inch spread.
Those moose in that area have very small bodies compared to around Fox creek.
We skinned him and threw the rear half on the back rack of my Honda BigRed (1985) It was only 12 inches thick . Then we looked at the front 1/2 and said lets throw that on top . Thought I would walk beside the trike. But once all loaded I just jumped on top and drove it back to camp.
A Fox creek moose you might be able just to do a 1/4 on the rear rack.
Must be a different strain around Ram Mountain because we pulled two out that week and both where small bodied
Old 02-25-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Dam never thought of that, tie off at the front then run the rope underneath just ensuring the rope comes over the rear axle to ensure it doesn’t get caught up in the wheels or figure that out as you go but the weight would keep the front down....hmmmm..now ya got me thinking
He runs the cable thru a clevis thru the ball hole to keep the cable from under the rear tires…
Old 02-25-2022, 02:25 PM

I run my winch line under my bike till the moose is snug, then lift the head and snug it to the back rack with a rope, winch in till sung then go.

Keeping your front end sucked down makes for pulling easier and no lifting on the front , plus put an extra set of rollers on the back keeping the cable in the center of the bike. Specially in rough area's or 3/4 froze swamps ,you need those 4 wheels to pull. If there up in the air you just sink an then your moose sinks in your ruts .

If you even flip a bike on it's side beside a fallen tree ,those sharp branches can stick you just like an arrow .

Last edited by JD848; 02-25-2022 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 02:53 PM

I pulled out 4 bull elk and a bull moose last season for myself and friends.

All of them before snow on dry ground.

All of them tied off to the plastic rack of my outlander.

no issues. Full send right into the enclosed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5662.jpg (46.9 KB, 147 views)