Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-08-2022, 10:40 AM

Default Moose wmu 344

Morning everyone,

Thinking about pulling my P10 moose tag this year in wmu 344. Never hunted there and I'm just looking for a little insight into logging activity, gas, etc. Not a quad or truck hunter, although I will have a quad with me if need be. That being said, I like to get away from the roads as much as possible and don't mind packing. Any experiences or info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dale
Old 02-08-2022, 10:46 AM

With a priority 10 I would be pulling the tag in an area with a lot of farmland. There are far more moose, and much bigger moose, in the farmland than there are on crown bush. Thank wolves and the proliferation of unregulated hunting by the keepers of the land for the decimation of crown land moose. Check the harvest records you will see exactly what I mean.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:49 AM

Its been logged out like all the zones up there . This makes it great place for deer hunting
Old 02-08-2022, 10:55 AM

It’s your choice but why draw a tag with 10pp in a WMU you have never been to?
Old 02-08-2022, 11:28 AM

Pay heed to Dean's advice.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:23 PM

First up I gotta ask if you have ever packed a whole moose. Even a 3 year old bull is bigger than any elk. That is no fun what so ever, and really limits where you can (well, should, I’ve done stupid things too) hunt. Also…if you’ve never seen the terrain, it’s thick, and the moose don’t go in any open areas much.

What dean said is accurate, if understated.

My suggestion would be 200 zones along major river valleys. It will be a significant advantage to be able to hunt in archery season during the rut. In November the bulls will be in very small pockets and often these have significant competition for access.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:50 PM

I agree there would be easier terrain than 344 for moose.

You could use the wildlife aerial surveys to give you some ideas of moose populations in various WMUs. The surveys are not highly accurate but are good indicators.
https://www.alberta.ca/aerial-wildli...y-reports.aspx

I think some of the parkland 200's would be better too. Two years ago a friend watched around 18 moose wintering on one farm, an hour east of Camrose. Not that rare to see a few moose together in the parklands.

Lots of private owned land so you need to do a bit of homework and get permissions.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-08-2022, 02:00 PM

Packed a few moose out of the bush where there are no roads or trails....fly in hunts in BC, so not concerned about it. Bigger concern seems to be the amount of pressure there from both critters and people. Might be rethinking my destination. Appreciate the replies.

Regards,
Dale
Old 02-08-2022, 02:03 PM
Banned

344 has a lot of pressure
Easily accessed by locals

That being said I seen a high 40’s bull when I was cougar hunting in Dec
Old 02-09-2022, 09:34 AM

Doc, recommend WMU 344 a good foothills moose zone and lots of wilderness. You do not have much competition from licensed hunters as believe only give out around 40 tags. The 24/7 2 legged and 4 legged hunters another story.
I for one do not like hunting where I have to worry about not shooting at farmers house, and setting up my outfitter tent in his farmyard.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Doc, recommend WMU 344 a good foothills moose zone and lots of wilderness. You do not have much competition from licensed hunters as believe only give out around 40 tags. The 24/7 2 legged and 4 legged hunters another story.
I for one do not like hunting where I have to worry about not shooting at farmers house, and setting up my outfitter tent in his farmyard.
Pressure on Moose from licensed hunters is quite low, you are right about that. Problem is, between oil access roads and logging roads there is hardly a square inch of that country that you can't drive a pickup or quad through. Five years ago, there were 45' semi trailer reefer vans parked in there in May and June being filled and hauled out by natives. From what I know, that pretty much happens every two or three years and they rotate the hunt in the Hinton, Grande Cache and Edson area. It is why there are only 40 tags available to licensed hunters. How the hell that qualifies as subsistence hunting I have no idea, but it is going on in every area of crown land with access.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Pressure on Moose from licensed hunters is quite low, you are right about that. Problem is, between oil access roads and logging roads there is hardly a square inch of that country that you can't drive a pickup or quad through. Five years ago, there were 45' semi trailer reefer vans parked in there in May and June being filled and hauled out by natives. From what I know, that pretty much happens every two or three years and they rotate the hunt in the Hinton, Grande Cache and Edson area. It is why there are only 40 tags available to licensed hunters. How the hell that qualifies as subsistence hunting I have no idea, but it is going on in every area of crown land with access.
People need to start documenting this when it happens
Videos and puctures
Only way it will change is if the truth comes out
Old 02-09-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
We have all heard the rumors for years and years. Uncle Bob, he has a cousin, and his buddy, well, he saw all the people and trailers. And the trailers were fully stacked with moose.
Yet is in this day of cell coverage, I-phones, I personally have never seen a picture of the events.
If they are out there, I would like to see them. Pictures would work instead of rumors.
And I agree, that if this is subsistence hunting I'll do my part to help stop the events.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
We have all heard the rumors for years and years. Uncle Bob, he has a cousin, and his buddy, well, he saw all the people and trailers. And the trailers were fully stacked with moose.
Yet is in this day of cell coverage, I-phones, I personally have never seen a picture of the events.
If they are out there, I would like to see them. Pictures would work instead of rumors.
And I agree, that if this is subsistence hunting I'll do my part to help stop the events.
I've seen it North of Whitecourt in WMU 349. West off HWY 32 towards Swan Hills. Used to be a great area for deer and we used to see tons of moose. Then one year, we ran into a field with probably 10 trailers, and many native hunters. We were there for 2 weeks, they were there for about a week, and we saw tons of signs of big game kills in the area, including multiple moose.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:41 PM

I know of cases where game meat was shot to be sold by FN. I have seen camps set up where traditional hunting took place for long periods of time that did effect areas. I am not blind to things at all

But I have never seen or know anyone personally who has seen these refer trucks and massive FN hunting parties to fill them

Definitely something that should be documented if it is seen because most would need proof to take it seriously
Old 02-09-2022, 01:05 PM

I live in Hinton, 344 is my back yard. Very busy lots of pressure. I would not waste a P10 in 344. 1000s of km of oil and logging roads makes it a nightmare with other hunters.

I honestly spend more time hunting zones farther away from 344 then I do hunting in 344. Stick closer to east of Edmonton area near farmland.

If you want to see 344 for yourself and drive all the roads this summer, feel free but with gas at 1.50 here in town have fun hahaha.

Best of luck
Old 02-09-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
People need to start documenting this when it happens
Videos and puctures
Only way it will change is if the truth comes out

I wasnt aware they are given an ammo allowance/rebate by the feds as well until recently.

Last edited by 270person; 02-09-2022 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I wasnt aware they are given an ammo allowance/rebate by the feds as well.
The money is less important to me, than the animals are
Old 02-09-2022, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
The money is less important to me, than the animals are

Myself as well but its just one more thing that makes me shake my head. Lots of Metis/FN sustenance hunters out there apparently.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Myself as well but its just one more thing that makes me shake my head. Lots of Metis/FN sustenance hunters out there apparently.
They give the ones that actually need it for sustenance a bad image
Old 02-14-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurthunter View Post
I live in Hinton, 344 is my back yard. Very busy lots of pressure. I would not waste a P10 in 344. 1000s of km of oil and logging roads makes it a nightmare with other hunters.

I honestly spend more time hunting zones farther away from 344 then I do hunting in 344. Stick closer to east of Edmonton area near farmland.

If you want to see 344 for yourself and drive all the roads this summer, feel free but with gas at 1.50 here in town have fun hahaha.

Best of luck

This right here... Family has a cabin north of Hinton and I’ve hunted here a lot. All of this is correct. Plus it’s not flush with moose based on my experience.

Pull your tag in 336 or 348 if you are inclined to hunt west of Edmonton. Lots of moose in both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
well i have lived in the Edson Hinton area for over 60 years hunting trapping and logging and although i have heard of the semi trailer tales i have never seen it for my self . tree planters park out in the bush with semi trailers in the spring and summer months . I think its a case of mistaken identity
Old 03-01-2022, 02:53 PM

If this was happening there’d be video of it somewhere, bu!! Sh!tters
Old 03-02-2022, 09:22 AM

I have personally seen numerous 'Keepers of Land' hunting camps through my 60 years of hunting and trapping in north western Alberta.They are very good at shooting everything that moves and it helps to hunt roads in the middle of night.