Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-28-2022, 03:43 PM

Default First time hunter - choosing a WMU

I am new to Alberta and new to hunting, as well. I am slowly getting myself up to speed with understanding the hunting regulations in Alberta, and I think I now understand the General License vs. Special License regulations.

I don't know anyone in Alberta with access to private land, so I think I am restricted to hunting only on public land. Based on the results of last year's Special License draw, it doesn't look like I would get a Special License my first year submitting my name. But I think this means I can still hunt with a general license.

In looking at different types of public land for hunting, I see that some Hunting Conservation Sites are available for hunting. I found WMU 136 (Shell Buffalo Hills Conservation Ranch, https://www.albertadiscoverguide.com...=E3&number=167) doesn't require a Special License.

Does this mean I can just show up to this WMU during the general season with a General License and hunt the game that is applicable to the license?
Old 02-28-2022, 04:12 PM

The answer to your question is no. The regulations mostly apply to entire WMU's and not a conservation site. All elk hunting in 136 is on draw except for "archery only". All mule deer is on draw in 136 except for antlerless mule deer "archery only". WT antlered and antlerless require no draw for "archery only".
WT antlerless are on a draw for the general season.

You need to apply the regulations as per the WMU. iHunter is a good app that will give you some quick answers to questions but it is not meant to replace the regulations. iHunter screenshot attached as an example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4AE68E3D-6C3C-45B0-AD6B-2F6A16C9AA51.jpg (17.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 02-28-2022, 04:14 PM
Banned

Where do you live?
Old 02-28-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
The answer to your question is no. The regulations mostly apply to entire WMU's and not a conservation site. All elk hunting in 136 is on draw except for "archery only". All mule deer is on draw in 136 except for antlerless mule deer "archery only". WT antlered and antlerless require no draw for "archery only".
WT antlerless are on a draw for the general season.

You need to apply the regulations as per the WMU. iHunter is a good app that will give you some quick answers to questions but it is not meant to replace the regulations. iHunter screenshot attached as an example.
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the regulations. Doesn't the hightlighted parts of the attached regulations mean that only a general license for WT is required in 136?

I don't see a black square next to the season dates indicating that a special license is required.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WMU 136.jpg (23.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-28-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Where do you live?
I live in Calgary, in the NW.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperorsgroove View Post
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the regulations. Doesn't the hightlighted parts of the attached regulations mean that only a general license for WT is required in 136?

I don't see a black square next to the season dates indicating that a special license is required.
Correct. For antlered WT deer a special license is not required.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Correct. For antlered WT deer a special license is not required.
Gotcha. I think that helps. So I can hunt in that WMU for antlered WT with a general license. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Check out the 300 WMU’s northwest of Calgary. There is public land and whitetail to get you started

Scouting and learning the area you hunt makes a big difference so go explore before the season
Old 02-28-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Check out the 300 WMU’s northwest of Calgary. There is public land and whitetail to get you started

Scouting and learning the area you hunt makes a big difference so go explore before the season
Cool, thanks! I started by looking at the various Conservation Sites. But it looks like there are lots of different Crown Land types, as well. I see lots of "Natural Areas" in the 300 series WMUs. Maybe this would be a good option to start with.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Cool, thanks! I started by looking at the various Conservation Sites. But it looks like there are lots of different Crown Land types, as well. I see lots of "Natural Areas" in the 300 series WMUs. Maybe this would be a good option to start with.
Go for a drive and check things out first hand. Pay attention to the areas you see higher concentration of tracks. Find a few potential locations and get in the bush to find more sign

Don’t stress about not seeing a deer and focus on areas with high concentration of deer sign

Make sure you study the regulations and ask questions if you are unsure. I assume you already completed your hunters education
Old 02-28-2022, 08:14 PM

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned:
Don’t be too intimidated to knock on a few doors and ask permission on private land. Even if they say no, be polite, say “thank you for your time” and quietly go on with your day. It’s best to seek permission long before the season starts - a lot of landowners who DO allow hunting access will only allow a certain number of guys. So if you’re too late, you’re out of luck. Do everything within your power to make it a positive experience for the landowner. Not an inconvenience or annoyance.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
Don’t be too intimidated to knock on a few doors and ask permission on private land. Even if they say no, be polite, say “thank you for your time” and quietly go on with your day. It’s best to seek permission long before the season starts - a lot of landowners who DO allow hunting access will only allow a certain number of guys. So if you’re too late, you’re out of luck. Do everything within your power to make it a positive experience for the landowner. Not an inconvenience or annoyance.
X2

Some guys make it seem like acquiring permission to hunt on private late is very hard to do but I would disagree. Strike up a conversation and make it seem like your a nice guy they could trust on their land. Their some gems of private land I hunt on with great trophy size and numbers and I am very grateful for the landowners and make sure I offer a lending hand after the season for things that need done around the farm.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:27 AM

Welcome to Alberta

Head out and meet some farmers. Worst they can say is no. Be grateful and thank them for their time.

Crown land isnt a problem as it is there for us to enjoy because it belongs to us. The Queen hasnt been out hunting her land for years and i doubt she will meet you on the cutline with a scattergun....she has mellowed over the years.....
Old 03-01-2022, 06:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
This and when you do get permission be very respectful of the land as you are now the eyes and ears for the owner.
Find out through casual conversation if they enjoy wild meat etc and a nice Xmas gift, smile, a handshake and a heart full thank you goes a long way.
Start making your trips early spring be it on public or sourcing out private land.
Obtaining early knowledge is critical and getting gear all in order too.
Ohhh and don’t forget all that is required for a first time hunter to legally hit the outdoors in pursue of game.

Good luck!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-01-2022, 09:55 AM

As other have said, print some cards with your information, buy / access County maps, fuel up the vehicle, clean bino's and go for a many a drive. Knock on doors, be polite and listen. Keep records of what you learn, for example I have folks that won't let me chase pheasants but beg me come back and harvest pesky deer.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:14 AM

If you're living in NW Calgary you actually have a lot of crownland quite close to home. As previously mentioned, Ihunter is going to be your friend. Download that app and start to look at the seasons offered. You will start to see some differences between the 400 and 300 WMU's. There is good amount of opportunity close to home for you. Just get out and start hiking around.

If you bow hunt it might be worth asking for permission on private land closer to home. I tried a few times in December one year, I thought asking a year out when the landowners aren't getting pressured could help my cause. Most were polite, but most also said no. The private land around Calgary is in quite high demand. I did get a couple of applications where I could apply to hunt a certain season and I would get the day I was given. I wasn't overly interested in hunting a spot for one or two days a year and never getting to scout it, that being said the hunting that I did do on private land, I did see quite a few animals and no other hunters on the day.

Welcome!
Old 03-01-2022, 10:32 AM

You can get a general wt and a general elk tag otc. You can get a supplemental wt doe and likely even a md doe tag with 0 priority.

Lots of crown land within 2 hrs of Calgary. Don’t be afraid to ask permission you have nothing to loose if they say no. When you get a yes it will have friends and neighbours lands open up.

Moose, mule deer and antelope are longer waits
Old 03-01-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Welcome to Alberta

Head out and meet some farmers. Worst they can say is no. Be grateful and thank them for their time.

Crown land isnt a problem as it is there for us to enjoy because it belongs to us. The Queen hasnt been out hunting her land for years and i doubt she will meet you on the cutline with a scattergun....she has mellowed over the years.....
Unless you can get access to private lands be prepared for crowds,

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-01-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Unless you can get access to private lands be prepared for crowds,

Grizz
I hunt almost excessively public land and have no issues avoiding crowds. I can cover miles of bush and never see another human track in the snow

It is not hard to get away from crowds as most hunters stick to roads, pipelines, and other forms of trail. Get off of the man made trails and 99% of hunters are left behind
Old 03-01-2022, 10:58 AM

And a bit of friendly advice - even if you team up with a local, don't just take their word for it when they say "such-and-such an activity is legal" or "it's okay if we hunt here" etc.

Look it up on the regs yourself, and when in doubt, call the Fish and Wildlife office.

Have had a few instances where I found myself listening to horror stories of "I went along with my buddy, and he said it was okay to shoot here..." etc.

Also, there are "generic" rules that need to be followed - but there may be additional specific ones depending on the area (more so in more densely-populated areas). For instance, I was invited to go hunt on a friend's acreage (he had a deer infestation that he needed help with) - I checked with the municipality, and I'm glad I did. In the manner that the bylaws were worded for that location, a person couldn't even legally shoot a slingshot or an airsoft gun within a given distance of any building on the property, let alone a bow or firearm.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:11 PM

100 % agree avoid hunting buddies. Anyone that wants to partner will know less than you
Old 03-01-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyJack View Post
100 % agree avoid hunting buddies. Anyone that wants to partner will know less than you
Not always true but it is a crap shoot finding good hunting partners

Personally I have had better luck creating good ethical hunting partners out of rookies than majority of the “ experienced “ hunters I have met though
Old 03-01-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Not always true but it is a crap shoot finding good hunting partners

Personally I have had better luck creating good ethical hunting partners out of rookies than majority of the “ experienced “ hunters I have met though
Omg you nailed it......my sentiments exactly
Old 03-02-2022, 09:28 AM

OilnGas gave good advice/ clean binocular. Best day I ever had scouting in foothills few years back was 30 animals (moose,elk,deer, bears) in One day. All small bunches or single animal, no farms.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
You're Waiporous bound my friend!

WMU 412, 414, 416, 316.
Loads of crown land up there.
I used to hunt Mule deer on a general tag in 412, there's whitetail all over the place, Also black bears in good numbers in September.

So what's the downside? It's a busy area. Not just hunters but all kinds of city people doing outdoor activities. Last time I hunted in 316, September with my bow, I almost got shot by random target shooters who were shooting with no backstop. Not an exaggeration, I could hear bullets hitting trees around me.

My suggestion is you do some hiking and get yourself away from the roads and ohv trails. You'll have a safer time and probably shoot a deer.

Tags
public land, wmu 136