Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-12-2022, 05:29 PM

Default Early Season vs Late Season AB Sheep Hunt

Early Season vs Late Season AB Sheep Hunt
Does anyone actively go out during the late season general sheep hunt and how does it compare? I know it will be a lot colder but you got better odds at a big one

Let’s hear your pros vs cons or any stories you got!
Old 02-12-2022, 06:13 PM

Pros - Rams move around more. They will leave their early season safe zones and look around. Snow covered mountains = easier to spot sheep. Good to learn how handle late season conditions. Beautiful in late season. Lot less hunters out.

Cons - can be COLD. In the morning, if your boots are leather, they will be solid like ski boots. I have to bring toe warmers cause I get cold toes. Need a very warm sleeping bag (-20 to-30) and a warm pad. If you pad is not thick enough you'll feel the cold from below and it will suck the heat out of you. Be prepared to melt snow. Over fire and stove. Water bladder hose will freeze. I use bottles. one litre on my hip up side down cause water freezes top down. Try not to sweat too much. Climb slow. I've sweat before then stopped and didn't put my puffy layers on right away and in 5 minutes I'm shaking cold.

I like long underwear with water proof durable shell pant (full leg zips to vent heat when moving) and insulated puffy pants when stopped.

Muliple layers up top with quality down puffies. Layering is crutial when your active to prevent over heating and sweat. I like to start hiking cold. I wear two toques when not moving and sleeping. Ski googles for when the wind picks up. Sunglasses are a must.

Go on a test trip or two this winter so when you are actually out sheep hunting your not just trying to survive and can actually hunt. Those snow covered mountians can be intimidating.

I've never killed a ram but sure love getting out there. These are just a few things that came to mind. Look up some winter backpacking tips if you haven't already.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:28 PM

All my tents have a stove hole, if the temps are on cold side, i bring the titanium wood stove, if temps are warm then no stove, but my go to sleeping pad is a xtherm pad, and my go to sleeping bag is rated at -20 down from https://www.taigaworks.com in vancouver, my jet boil titanium canister fuel heats up water for what ever i need hot water for.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:01 PM

Gave up on late season backpack hunts, not something I ever did frequently but the benefits never out weighed the suck imho. Day trips or some kind of wall tent and stove these days if I do go late but I'm getting soft...

Favourite time to go is mid september if possible, or if not opening week.

In the end depends on where you hunt and how well you know it. Might very well be worth late season over early but only you can determine that.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:18 PM

Default Pros Cons

Early-Grizz and lots of people, less sheep(harder to see)

Late-Scary cold and survival senses tingling, possible more sheep movement.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:14 AM

The most snow I ever seen was on a August hunt, and some late October hunts with very little frost. The number of grizzlies around doesn’t change.
I’d go whenever you get a chance.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:33 AM

As I've gotten older I have found the patience to wait later in the season for my hunts. Whether it be sheep or elk, I prefer hunting after the first couple of weeks. Less crowded and I have had better success.
I am fortunate to have the option of a wall tent and stove so cold has not been an issue.
I do feel that rams can be easier to locate at the end of the season due to weather and the approach of their rut however they have also been pressured which can make them very wary.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
I do feel that rams can be easier to locate at the end of the season due to weather and the approach of their rut however they have also been pressured which can make them very wary.
With this being said if you find them one day doesn’t mean they will be in the same spot the next day as they tend to travel lots at the end of a season.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:09 PM

Early season, get horses and go way back,
Old 02-22-2022, 09:58 PM

Very limited experience with sheep hunting but I went out both the opening and closing weekend last year. Definitely colder last weekend without doubt, but seen more sheep and less people. As someone else mentioned, seeing more was probably aided by all the snow. That said I'll go whenever I can and have time