Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2018, 08:37 AM

Default Sink tip lines. Need some education

So never really played with them but I’m gonna get one for my 5&8wt. Not really anything specific I would be using them for. Deeper rivers for trout, lakes for pike and Kokanee and who knows what else. Maybe some saltwater. What would be your recommendation. Not looking for anything expensive as I’m a low budget guy and have always bought cheep lines and never been disappointed. More looking for advice on speed of sink. I would probably go with 2 different speeds. Intermediate and fast? What’s your experience?
Old 05-26-2018, 12:06 PM

So between my 5wt and 8wt I use a fast sink tip on the 5wt and a full sink lines on the 8wt. I fish the bow with the 5wt now most rods in the 5wt don't handle the heavier sink tips very well imo I use a Helios tip flex and works beautiful but not so well on my tfo or the gloomis prox4.8wt I would load up with a intermidiate full sink if you plan on doing alote of casting,I use a fast full sink when trolling over deep water for big rainbows.I personally like the fast sink rates maybe cause I'm a little impatient but the sink tips and full sinks are are alote more work to be chucking around but sure can be rewarding. I'm sure others with more experience will chum in.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:29 PM

Default Sink tips and full sinkers

Complete opposite here I use 10 to 15 ft type 6 sink tips on the bow for 6,7 and 8 wt rods for bank pounding at this time of year till run-offs done and then switch up usually to floating and longer lighter leaders as we get towards the fall. On my lighter 5 and 6 wts I use for lakes I use full sink type 6 for deep fishing and intermediate slime lines and tips for the shallower transition zones. I do not find the need for heavier wts in lakes as the fish although bigger are easier to land (no current and fish are fat not muscular) and I am usually fishing much smaller flies for them
Old 05-26-2018, 12:45 PM

Just bought this for my 5 wait for my Manitoba Smallmouth fishing trip

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Just bought this for my 5 wait for my Manitoba Smallmouth fishing trip

I would be leary of that .There is no wt ,just says sinking . so is it a type???
Old 05-26-2018, 03:45 PM

Far as I know it's a 5 weight sinking tip line

Old 05-26-2018, 06:19 PM

I have a fast action 5wt that I streamer fish the Bow with.
A 10-12ft type 6 sink tip (I use a 6wt line).
A fast 5wt is all I have never needed for the Bow
Old 05-26-2018, 10:02 PM

Have you considered the Airflo polyleaders? They are an inexpensive way to easily add a sink tip to a floating line. I thought they were a great way to try out a sink scenario without getting a whole new line. I have a couple of trout varieties that I use, most often for quick change up to go deep with streamers. I do have a fast sink tip line as well in my 6wt that I primarily use on stillwater. Finally, an intermediate clear I use often on my 8# for pike.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:57 AM

I like the SA Streamer Express for pounding the banks of the Bow with streamers: 6 wt Type 6 with a 15 ft sinking tip.

I find the sink tip lines clunky when on the trout lakes and use the full sinking whether deep sinking, intermediate or just under surface. However, the Rio Musky/Pike intermediate sink tip is good for tossing the heavy bunny streamers.

As for cost, keep your eyes open for sales and Cabela's bargain basement; haven't paid full price for a premium line for years.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:13 PM

I fish lakes and now have intermediate, type 3, type 5 and type 7 lines. This allows me to target almost any depth at any speed I want. Deeper and faster you want to go the faster sinking line you want. Go by sink rate not by type though, some brands don't have the same sink rates for whatever reason.

My most commonly used is type 3 but they all have their place.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:25 PM

Thanks guys. Helps a lot. Think for now I’m just gonna try a cheap line and as I figure out more what I want then I can always upgrade and get more. The info helps a lot for what they are all used for though
Old 06-02-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
Have you considered the Airflo polyleaders? They are an inexpensive way to easily add a sink tip to a floating line. I thought they were a great way to try out a sink scenario without getting a whole new line. I have a couple of trout varieties that I use, most often for quick change up to go deep with streamers. I do have a fast sink tip line as well in my 6wt that I primarily use on stillwater. Finally, an intermediate clear I use often on my 8# for pike.
Along the same line of thinking,I carry an assortment of various length and density sink tips,and just add them on to my regular floating lines as required.
ie;just go to Fishtales,buy yourself a few different lengths of T-10 from the bulk spool,(6',10',16' etc)and have them weld loops into the ends.....voila....detachable sink tips.
Poly leaders work "ok" but not really intended for getting you way down deep,they are nice though to get a fly down a bit for a subsurface presentation if you are swinging for Steelhead/Atlantics etc....or even just swinging wets and small streamers for trout.....but they aren't going to get your fly down more then a foot or three in most skinny water/moving water swinging scenarios.....but often a foot or two subsurface presentation is just the ticket when lockjawed anadromous species are reluctant to rise and take on the surface.

Last edited by West O'5; 06-02-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
Finally, an intermediate clear I use often on my 8# for pike.
I almost exclusively use an intermediate clear for pike. I will put in some exceptions for mid fall, when I want to pull a fly over a weedbed or immediately after ice-out (but pre-spawn). Overall, if I had to choose one line for stillwater, it would be an intermediate line